We don't need to play players out of position

loch71

While we all strive for perfection but we have lost 6 goals in 14 games and have a goal difference of 24 which, by a country mile, is better than anyone else in the league so I disagree that we are shipping to many chances. (Oh and two of those goals were freak McGregor mistakes) and at the same time we have scored 30 goals so we are hardly grinding out one nil victories.

Do you really think Ally tells the squad to hold back in games - and does NOT want a high tempo all the time - I am sure he strives for that as well but how the opposition plays does have an effect on what we do, there are some decent teams in the SPL and some decent players, they are there to make a competition out of it and our job is to overcome - and we are doing that pretty handsomley at the moment. Why not just enjoy it ?

I feel that our goals against coloumn recently has been more down to Greegs and some bad finishing by the opposition TBH. Hearts should have scored 2/3 TBH and we were very exposed at times on saturday V United. Stats can sometimes be misleading IMO

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that our goals against coloumn recently has been more down to Greegs and some bad finishing by the opposition TBH. Hearts should have scored 2/3 TBH and we were very exposed at times on saturday V United. Stats can sometimes be misleading IMO

That's right... the position we are in now is pure luck. That's the suggestion there.

What IF Hearts had scored 2 or 3?

What IF Greegs hadn't made some good saves?

What IF Dundee Utd weren't wasteful?

I don't deal with IF's... because IF I were to do that, then EVERY league campaign throughout history will be altered in my own mind.

I deal in FACTS, and the FACTS are, we have won 12 of 14 league games and still unbeaten in the league, we have conceded 7 goals in total, whilst scoring 30 which is less and more respectively than every other side in the SPL. We have conceded just 1 goal away from home and won 7 out of 7 away from home.

Yes, the European exits were tragic but I am very hopeful that Super will have learned from those and we will be better prepared next season. (I can't explain the League Cup.... that was just one of those performances where no-one performed at all).

That's right... the position we are in now is pure luck. That's the suggestion there.

What IF Hearts had scored 2 or 3?

What IF Greegs hadn't made some good saves?

What IF Dundee Utd weren't wasteful?

I don't deal with IF's... because IF I were to do that, then EVERY league campaign throughout history will be altered in my own mind.

I deal in FACTS, and the FACTS are, we have won 12 of 14 league games and still unbeaten in the league, we have conceded 7 goals in total, whilst scoring 30 which is less and more respectively than every other side in the SPL. We have conceded just 1 goal away from home and won 7 out of 7 away from home.

Yes, the European exits were tragic but I am very hopeful that Super will have learned from those and we will be better prepared next season. (I can't explain the League Cup.... that was just one of those performances where no-one performed at all).

FFS Facts - FACT we have only lost 6 goals not 7! :pipe:

Other than that 100% agree

Pedantic Loyal: Positive Branch

How is it moaning? :lol:

You're talking utter nonsense I'm afraid, making up garbage such as 'all out attack', 'Barcelona', 'shit team' etc Sound simple minded towards the team, tactics and performances. We can still win,score more goals and play better football at the same time btw!

Certainly don't agree about the basics being 'pretty well/good' our passing at times is shocking, same goes for the distribution from set-pieces, albeit it's improved a bit since last season.

We're not a shit team, but we're not much above average as proved in Europe this season. Each to their own on winning football being entertaining, personally I find that completely off, many teams win football games by not playing good football, which is the whole point of the debate.

At the end of the day nobody has denied results are the most important aspect but some seem happy enough to accept some very poor performances, we're The Rangers we should play a good standard of football and win games... formation/selection is key as shown from the end of last season and this season!

We are average in Europe - agreed! But we are far from shit that everyone like you seems to imply. As already stated we all want to win with entertaining football, but that level comes with a different budget to what we have (especially in Europe) - and even great teams grind out results - its the ability to win that makes great teams.

To me good football is winning football - defending is as MUCH a part of football as attacking and I appreciate our teams efforts.

for fucks sake when are some people going to realise you cant play at the top of your game week in week out. we have just had 2 hard away games at grounds where we have struggled to win at in the past, 6 points gained,then scumdee utd at ibrox the team that we have considered a bit of a bogey team to beat especially at home over the years,3 points gained so all in all 9 points out of a possible 9 although not playing to the best of our capabilities lets just enjoy being unbeaten and hope it lasts so we stay well in front of the scum and give the team our full support no matter the performance.rant over :crabflute: w.a.t.p

for fucks sake when are some people going to realise you cant play at the top of your game week in week out. we have just had 2 hard away games at grounds where we have struggled to win at in the past, 6 points gained,then scumdee utd at ibrox the team that we have considered a bit of a bogey team to beat especially at home over the years,3 points gained so all in all 9 points out of a possible 9 although not playing to the best of our capabilities lets just enjoy being unbeaten and hope it lasts so we stay well in front of the scum and give the team our full support no matter the performance.rant over :crabflute: w.a.t.p

Agreed, our next game is going to be difficult as well I think. Yeah we are at home and it's only St Johnston, but they will have a new manager and might get a right good lift from that.

I think this campaign is going very well league wise.

I'm not sure any of the options the OP proposed had all of our players playing in their position...the one that really worries me is the 3-5-2.....why, when Naismith is out notable absentee, would we revert to a player less at the back which results by default in another player further forward? As bad as we might have been on Saturday we are still MORE than good enough to beat our "rivals" any day of the week, and I am confident of beating celt*c when we play them as well :crabflute:

I not one to argue with our manager and his back room staff as he knows the fitness, form and midset of every player ! However, I dont see the need to have 2 defensive midfielders in the same team, although i do appreciate that his only other viable option was to pack the midfield as we are so short of options up front. Healy is not good enough and Hemmings isnt totally fit.

Would really have loved to see wee fleck pushed up along side Jelavic as anytime I have seen these 2 play together, they have always had a very good understanding. The no 10 position is fleck's real position similar to the one durranty played for us. Def milage in this for me. If not fleck, then I believe Davis can play as a number 10 as well as he such a good footballer and can the read the game in front of him because he plays with his head up !

With big Laff pulling out at the last min, i would have played this

Jordan McMillan Goian Bocca Papac

Whitty Edu McKay Wydle

I not one to argue with our manager and his back room staff as he knows the fitness, form and midset of every player ! However, I dont see the need to have 2 defensive midfielders in the same team, although i do appreciate that his only other viable option was to pack the midfield as we are so short of options up front. Healy is not good enough and Hemmings isnt totally fit.

Would really have loved to see wee fleck pushed up along side Jelavic as anytime I have seen these 2 play together, they have always had a very good understanding. The no 10 position is fleck's real position similar to the one durranty played for us. Def milage in this for me. If not fleck, then I believe Davis can play as a number 10 as well as he such a good footballer and can the read the game in front of him because he plays with his head up !

Whitty Edu Davis McKay

Fleck

Jela

Whitty Edu Davis McKay

Fleck

Jela

So you would have played two defensive midfielders :lol:

So you would have played two defensive midfielders :lol:

If your calling whitty a Defender then yes. However, alot of the games That I watch Whitty play in, I wouldnt call him a defender as this is without doubt the weakest part of his game. Now, dont get me wrong, I likw Whittaker as he is really good going foward and has 2 really good feet with abit of trickery. But's let's be honest, He is a bit of a bombscare as a defender. King Kirk is a better defender than him.

If your calling whitty a Defender then yes. However, alot of the games That I watch Whitty play in, I wouldnt call him a defender as this is without doubt the weakest part of his game. Now, dont get me wrong, I likw Whittaker as he is really good going foward and has 2 really good feet with abit of trickery. But's let's be honest, He is a bit of a bombscare as a defender. King Kirk is a better defender than him.

Of course he is a defender :lol: