Will Fleck start next week?

Amac9

I don't think you put John Fleck anywhere and tell him to stay there; he is far too good a footballer for that. I think Ally is playing him quite well, when he does play him that is, by letting him roam and letting his game evolve as he does so. Stevie Naismith is the same: you let him have a greater deal of freedom to express himself and let him take something out of the match.

Yesterday, Fleck was the last defender at one point of the match when Rangers had possession, and he looked entirely comfortable picking the ball up deep and doing something with it.

People should just accept this about Fleck. Don't stick him anywhere and tell him that is where he is to stay. Let his game evolve, as one of the best gifted footballers we have and let him create out of that.

Very fair points as always Turnberry but I just feel he can do some real damage further up the pitch. Playing in a free role behind the strikers is licence enough surely?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 in 2....he missed loads of chances.

Aw come on mate, you are far better than that. Thats a complete non argument and you know it.

You would struggle to name one striker who has a 100% goals to shot ratio anywhere in world football. Strikers are judged by how many goals they score not how many chances they miss (Ade Akinbiyi aside :craphead: )

Very fair points as always Turnberry but I just feel he can do some real damage further up the pitch. Playing in a free role behind the strikers is licence enough surely?

It is, and I would agree about his effectiveness there; but I also think its interesting that the game he plays in sees Fleck adapt to it. Last week when we attacked all out he was very involved up the Park; and then yesterday he was deeper we needed to use the ball to beat them.

Early on in that match they used their physique against our players, a typical cup game away from home, but then it needed someone to start using the ball against an inferior team, and Fleck was central to that. He reads the game really well; I really believe we have yet to find out what he does best on the Park, and that we should play him more and more to find out what that is.

It is, and I would agree about his effectiveness there; but I also think it how interesting that the game he plays in sees Fleck adapt to it. Last week when we attacked all out he was very involved up the Park; and then yesterday he was deeper we needed to use the ball to beat them.

Early on in that match they used there physique against our players, a typical cup game away from home, but then it needed someone to start using the ball against an inferior team, and Fleck was central to that. He reads the game really well; I really believe we have yet to find out what he does best on the Park, and that we should play him more and more to find out what that is.

Again another very good assessment mate (tu)

It is, and I would agree about his effectiveness there; but I also think it how interesting that the game he plays in sees Fleck adapt to it. Last week when we attacked all out he was very involved up the Park; and then yesterday he was deeper we needed to use the ball to beat them.

Early on in that match they used there physique against our players, a typical cup game away from home, but then it needed someone to start using the ball against an inferior team, and Fleck was central to that. He reads the game really well; I really believe we have yet to find out what he does best on the Park, and that we should play him more and more to find out what that is.

I think Fleck's best position will end up being centre midfield.

Aw come on mate, you are far better than that. Thats a complete non argument and you know it.

You would struggle to name one striker who has a 100% goals to shot ratio anywhere in world football. Strikers are judged by how many goals they score not how many chances they miss (Ade Akinbiyi aside :craphead: )

I dont expect 100% ratio but a better striker than him would have had at least 3 in the last match. He is not Rangers class and is not our future so I will certainly disagree him getting a game instead of Fleck whom I rate highly.

Cheers (tu) Thanks! I am a huge fan of Fleck: has to be one of the most exciting talents produced at Rangers in recent times.

Agree. I know he is a wee bit of headcase but surely it's up to the manager to sort him out? He IS the future for Rangers and his lack of chances has been frustrating TBH. Especially at a time when you see certain limited players being crow-barred into our failing midfield

I think Fleck's best position will end up being centre midfield.

It will certainly be interesting to see what his position will be. He reads the game brilliantly, and he is very comfortable on the ball. He also has something else I like; he plays with his head up, and has always done that; that is a great attribute for a young player.

Agree. I know he is a wee bit of headcase but surely it's up to the manager to sort him out? He IS the future for Rangers and his lack of chances has been frustrating TBH. Especially at a time when you see certain limited players being crow-barred into our failing midfield

Most 18 and 19 years olds grow up within the confines of their own family; and makes their mistakes in that environment; he's had to do it at Rangers. I get the impression he is coming through the other end and learning to cope with being John Fleck the footballer.

It will certainly be interesting to see what his position will be. He reads the game brilliantly, and he is very comfortable on the ball. He also has something else I like; he plays with his head up, and has always done that; that is a great attribute for a young player.

Think you just described Barry Ferguson. hehe. For me the best youth to come out of Ibrox in a long time. If Fleck can get the same support from Ally that Ferguson did from Advocaat then I feel we have a cracking player on our hands.

Most 18 and 19 years olds grow up within the confines of their own family; and makes their mistakes in that environment; he's had to do it at Rangers. I get the impression he is coming through the other end and learning to cope with being John Fleck the footballer.

Agreed. I also think that he had the disadvantage of silly hype at such an early age (younger than most) didn't help. He's been lazily and mockingly always referred to as the "the Scottish Wayne Rooney" by the press and the mhanks but I would hazard a guess that not one Gers fans ever coined this moniker

C'mon wee man. Show us what you can do!

Agreed. I also think that he had the disadvantage of silly hype at such an early age (younger than most) didn't help. He's been lazily and mockingly always referred to as the "the Scottish Wayne Rooney" by the press and the mhanks but I would hazard a guess that not one Gers fans ever coined this moniker

C'mon wee man. Show us what you can do!

(tu)

I thought he was fantastic yesterday, lots of energy, closing men down and as a few have mentioned his array of passing was top class. Fair enough we were only playing Arbroath but even still he showed that he has the potential to be in the starting 11.

My one and only criticism and i'm not sure if this is Flecks fault or what Ally has told him to do but I felt he was sitting too deep, I would have liked to have seen Edu sitting deeper and Fleck making more runs into the box.