We Can Still Win The League

Columbo

ALLY McCOIST believes Rangers are still strong contenders for the SPL title despite the loss of top scorer Nikica Jelavic.

The Croatian striker hit 17 goals for Rangers before his departure to Everton yesterday but the Rangers boss believes his squad has the qualities to add another championship to the club's trophy room.

He said: "I'm lucky enough to be manager of this football club and I believe we can win the championship again.

"I wouldn't and shouldn't be in this position if I didn't believe that. It's going to difficult when you look at our squad in terms of numbers compared to Celtic's for example.

"We don't have the numbers they do but at the same time I believe we have the quality.

"It's going to be a testing and tough time ahead but, of course, I believe we can do it and we have the boys that can get the goals required.

"Nikica was a big player for us, a massive player for us with 17 goals already this season.

"He'll be missed, without doubt but we've got options in attack. Mervan Celik falls into that category and David Healy has been scoring recently.

"Kyle Lafferty is hopefully only two or three weeks away from returning. So we have one or two that can come in, we will not be short of options."

McCoist is confident in the quality of his squad and after a weekend showing that saw three of four goals against Hibs coming from midfield the manager is looking for more of the same in the coming months.

He added: "We've got a good squad of players with a lot of talent and boys that can certainly get goals.

"We've lost our main striker in Nikica but it's an opportunity for one or two lads to come in and take his place.

"We have to get goals from all over the pitch. That is very important and I've had a chat with the boys.

"We still feel we need a little bit more from the midfield area and boys like Davis, Edu and Aluko, to name just a few, can get goals, there is no doubt about that.

"It's great if you have a striker that can get you 30 a season but it's equally important to get goals from other areas."

Great to hear him speak. The one thing the boys have shown in the last few years is a real sense of bottle and a good never say die attitude.

Lets pick ourselves up and move on. We've got a league title to win (tu)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day despite the sale of Jelavic we still have a squad that is far far superior to all the other teams in the SPL and probably on par if not better than Celtic.

All we have to do is beat the pish and wait for them to implode as per normal.

Mon the Gers :21:(tu)

ALLY McCOIST believes Rangers are still strong contenders for the SPL title despite the loss of top scorer Nikica Jelavic.

The Croatian striker hit 17 goals for Rangers before his departure to Everton yesterday but the Rangers boss believes his squad has the qualities to add another championship to the club's trophy room.

He said: "I'm lucky enough to be manager of this football club and I believe we can win the championship again.

"I wouldn't and shouldn't be in this position if I didn't believe that. It's going to difficult when you look at our squad in terms of numbers compared to Celtic's for example.

"We don't have the numbers they do but at the same time I believe we have the quality.

"It's going to be a testing and tough time ahead but, of course, I believe we can do it and we have the boys that can get the goals required.

"Nikica was a big player for us, a massive player for us with 17 goals already this season.

"He'll be missed, without doubt but we've got options in attack. Mervan Celik falls into that category and David Healy has been scoring recently.

"Kyle Lafferty is hopefully only two or three weeks away from returning. So we have one or two that can come in, we will not be short of options."

McCoist is confident in the quality of his squad and after a weekend showing that saw three of four goals against Hibs coming from midfield the manager is looking for more of the same in the coming months.

He added: "We've got a good squad of players with a lot of talent and boys that can certainly get goals.

"We've lost our main striker in Nikica but it's an opportunity for one or two lads to come in and take his place.

"We have to get goals from all over the pitch. That is very important and I've had a chat with the boys.

"We still feel we need a little bit more from the midfield area and boys like Davis, Edu and Aluko, to name just a few, can get goals, there is no doubt about that.

"It's great if you have a striker that can get you 30 a season but it's equally important to get goals from other areas."

Personally I lose a bit of respect for ally with this.

He should read back what he has said this window on what we 'need'

He is making a rod for his own back and I don't see it ending well.

Good luck to him though.

I was going to apologise for doubting you were a Rangers supporter, until I read your own comments.

As you were. (td)

But didn't you see he sais he liked so and so like months back from our squad, hed pull it up but feels it don't have too because he is a fan without his head in the sand.

I had one or two jibes come my way at work today including the rumour that Ally had quit - there were four of them rushing to tell me that. Their disappointment was tangible when I told them that their story was rubbish!

I pointed out that the pressure to win the SPL is now off us and firmly on them as all their mhedia pals are telling us that we have handed over our title.

I also reminded them that talk is cheap and that as far as I was aware the SPL trophy is sitting proudly in OUR trophy room where it has enjoyed being at home for the past 3 seasons.

I asked them to consider the scenario if we win the tax case and become the richest club in Scotland. It was a joy to watch the smugness disippate.

Let's get behind Ally and the boys and let us hope for the best. Our joy will be unbridled if it all works out for us :lol::21: :21:

Great to hear him speak. The one thing the boys have shown in the last few years is a real sense of bottle and a good never say die attitude.

Lets pick ourselves up and move on. We've got a league title to win (tu)

Can you teach Mclachlan how to start a thread ?