Talk now of Zero Redundancies

MCLACHLAN1

Rangers players and the club's administrators are discussing a new series of structured cuts which could result in no immediate redundancies.

The month-long proposal would mean the highest earners would take a 75% wage cut, middle-earners a 50% cut, with a 25% drop in salary for other players.

The players' union, PFA Scotland, is aware of the proposal.

Administrators Duff & Phelps are expected to announce their cash-saving plans on Monday afternoon.

They are striving to cut £1m from the monthly running costs.

On Friday they rejected a union offer of "substantial salary deferrals".

The firm's David Whitehouse said wage deferrals would mean "a higher level of cost base", hindering the club's sale.

Meanwhile, the administrators have come to an agreement with Dunfermline to pay them the £83,000 owed for ticket sales.

Speaking after Saturday's 2-1 defeat by Hearts, manager Ally McCoist explained what his role would be when the moment came to announce which players were staying and which were being made redundant.

He said: "It's not my job, I'm not making anybody redundant, I'm not telling anybody they have lost their job.

"I won't be in with the players but I will be waiting outside if and when it happens. My job is to support and be there, which I will be."

Continue reading the main story

We're continuing to investigate monies which we believe should've been brought into the club

David Whitehouse

Duff & Phelps

Whitehouse said there was "a material level of interest" from potential buyers with best offers invited by 16 March.

Speaking before Saturday's game, Whitehouse said: "We've had a very difficult week in terms of trying to work with [manager] Ally [McCoist] and the rest of the management team in looking at player cuts and redundancies.

"Those steps are ongoing and we're very confident that they'll be satisfactorily concluded tomorrow [sunday].

"There's a very clear balance that we've got to strike between what's for the good of the club on the pitch and what needs to happen off the pitch as well.

"We're obviously listening to the players, management, the SPFA and, in particular, Ally McCoist and all of those have been very co-operative and constructive in the manner in which they've approached it, but it basically is a very difficult subject that we're trying to address.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus

Media conference - Rangers manager Ally McCoist

"There is likely to be some job losses. We're very hopeful that we can reach a consensual approval and agreement which can be delivered on Monday.

"Deferring wages is sustaining a higher level of cost base which we have to address to make the business saleable.

"We have said that we need to deliver £1m a month cost savings. Ultimately the decision [on who leaves] is ours.

"Ultimately, it's a football club and we want it to perform very well on the pitch but it's also got to survive off it."

Duff & Phelps are pursuing the club's owner Craig Whyte for up to £9m in money contractually promised at the time of last year's takeover.

Lawyers acting for the administrators have gained a court order to seize a preliminary £3.6m from Whyte's solicitors Collyer Bristow.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus

Whitehouse said: "It's most unlikely that cash will be released to the club in time to address this issue [job cuts].

"We're continuing to investigate monies which we believe should've been brought into the club."

On potential buyers, Whitehouse said his firm hoped "to get some real progress" but admitted getting the club out of administration with signed-off accounts by the end of March was "going to be a challenge".

The ability to meet the 31 March deadline will dictate whether Rangers can take part in European competition next season.

The SPFA insisted on Friday the "offer of wholescale wage deferrals addresses the administrators' goal" but that the administrators had indicated they were unlikely to accept the offer.

McCoist has been told that as many as 11 players could be made redundant.

If so, it is understood that there would also be a 50% pay cut deferred until the end of the season.

Another option regarding the cost-cutting measures at Ibrox involves eight players being axed and other players taking an immediate 50% pay cut.

A third option of a 75% wage cut across the board with no redundancies was discussed on Thursday in the first formal meeting between the union and Duff and Phelps.

BBC Scotland has learned that the club's running costs between now and the end of the season are about £10m and the administrators have highlighted the need to fill a shortfall of £4.5m by the end of the season.

Another potential source of income for Rangers would be to sell players to countries that still have their transfer windows open and discussions are ongoing with several clubs.

Very Interesting given weekend Reports that Paul Murray had met with Administrators to voice that he wanted as few redundancies as possible in order to help their Takeover.

Maybe something, Maybe nothing.

player discussions involve structured cuts for a month. 75% to 25% depending on current wages.

Thats big of them.

I assume that it'd be til the end of the season, as one month wouldn't achieve much.

After Paul Murray saying in the record today he would rather keep the players and pay the wages that were deferred than have to invest in replacing these players, how can they get rid of any players? Plus Fraser Wishart said getting rid of upto 11 players would probably scare off potential buyers.

If they get rid of 8-11 players I would be very suspicious of Duff and Phelps and what and who they working towards.

surely cant just be for month and then back up to what they were, administrators said they were thinking about the long term viability of anyone coming in with the current wage structure as high as it is and it needing to be reduced so i still think players will be let go..

if theres no european football next season then we will have this shortfall to make up every month until the end of 2013 at least

surely cant just be for month and then back up to what they were, administrators said they were thinking about the long term viability of anyone coming in with the current wage structure as high as it is and it needing to be reduced so i still think players will be let go..

if theres no european football next season then we will have this shortfall to make up every month until the end of 2013 at least

If there's genuine interest in obtaining the club by March 16th then having a wage cut for this month only might not be a bad thing.

We'll have a cull, but it's whether we see it today or in the summer that will shape the club.

After Paul Murray saying in the record today he would rather keep the players and pay the wages that were deferred than have to invest in replacing these players, how can they get rid of any players? Plus Fraser Wishart said getting rid of upto 11 players would probably scare off potential buyers.

If they get rid of 8-11 players I would be very suspicious of Duff and Phelps and what and who they working towards.

Paul Murray doesn't have a say in it until he sticks his cash in. There may be another investor who wants a clean slate.

Any redundancies/cuts that happen now are because of the current state of the club.

but the media claimed we were gonna sack loads of people :rolleyes:

Media conference - Rangers manager Ally McCoist

"There is likely to be some job losses.

Lawyers acting for the administrators have gained a court order to seize a preliminary £3.6m from Whyte's solicitors Collyer Bristow.

Whitehouse said: "It's most unlikely that cash will be released to the club in time to address this issue [job cuts].

Where could they have got that idea from?

and do you not think that last Thursday's newspaper headlines were simple scaremongering at best

remember that last Thursday's record had 11 guys sacked by lunchtime.

No, I think that is what will have been mooted as a possible scenario. Since then there have been negotiations going on - they have been reported everywhere.