Kennedy will bid

markybear

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you in a position to do something about it? If not then stop posting such melodramatic shite.

lol. Point taken. However, I should qualify my melodramatic point by saying that I see myself as part of a collective when it comes to being a Rangers fan; and being taken in to the extent some of us were does concern me.

Well, it would harm no one at Rangers to look into it. As a mere fan I intend to look at it, and I would urge fans to go and do their own reading, and read the news with discerning eyes also.

It depends who you choose to believe really. Kennedy himself said about his time with Stockport that no matter how he improved them as a business, they failed to improve on the field. I've read a few articles from different people about him and they largely seem to think he is a business genius who learned from earlier mistakes and now has the uncanny knack of discovering new business talent and placing them into the companies he buys. He tends to deal with the men he has put in charge rather than fiddle with the companies himself.

As for the stories of many liquidations, they seem to be greatly exaggerated.

Not sure how encompassing this wee biopic is, but some interesting views from him:

"He's spent a life in the home improvement business. After ditching early plans to be a civil engineer, he began selling kitchens at Farouche Cuisines, which was sold in 1988 netting him £31m.

He went into double glazing but his first venture went into liquidation in 1992. Learning from that he bought Weatherseal Holdings from the receiver for £350,000 and has never looked back. Everest, one of the top names in double glazing, was sold by Kennedy in 2003 to a management buyout team in a £363m deal, three years after he had bought it for £347m. His other home improvement companies include Weatherseal Windows and Space Kitchens & Bedrooms.

He is happy to integrate the businesses horizontally, expand into Europe and believes that Wenland and Ultraframe will fit well together.

But he's been diversifying his interests of late. A chance conversation in Knutsford Wine Bar led him to apply for a phone licence and he built Genesis, a telecommunications business, selling his mobile phones business to Dixons for £331m.

The constant in all of this is capacity to build and invest in businesses and, as he is fond of saying, he's in it to win. He now has an empire that spans 13 companies with a combined turnover of £3600m. He runs each one as a separate entity, not as a group with calls on working capital. "It makes the chief executives impotent," he says with typical steel. "Really we're hands-on investors, rather than operators. That's how we can afford to run businesses that span retail to manufacturing and direct sales. It doesn't matter what the market is, but I do have the know-how to motivate.

"Stuart Lees has a bright mind and has a capable mind but he's also having to learn the new role and understand how to run a business day to day. How to make 25 decisions a day and get 20 of them correct.

"We saw the same thing in rugby, we look at the business and make it happen. But you have to get the right chief executive. In all the businesses I've been involved in we will turn things round if we work with the chief executive, direct them and make them better.

"Businesses fail because of a lack of control, decisions aren't made and management neglect the minutiae."

At this point in our conversation he speaks candidly, openly and directly to Niels de Vos, the chief executive of Sale Sharks, who is also present. "Niels was a three out of ten when he started, now he's a seven," he says.

That assessment may be helped by the fact that Sale Sharks are the Zurich Premiership champions, but both Kennedy and de Vos maintain that progress off the pitch has been noticeable. "We're not in sport to make money, but we are in sport to give us something exciting for the community and that doesn't require a benefactor," says Kennedy. "It's got to be financially self-sustaining. Now it will pay its own way on a day-to-day basis and pay down some of the debt. If it grows successfully then there could be something we can be very proud of."

It's been a hard slog that has cost Kennedy £330m, not least because the experiment of combining a top-flight rugby club with a declining football club, Stockport County, was a disaster. County have plummeted through the divisions since it was bought by Kennedy's company Cheshire Sport. Now he has secured the Edgely Park stadium for the Sharks, sold the club to the fans and they pay rent to stay at the ground.

"It was a great plan and it didn't work. We didn't think through the consequences of Stockport County failing on the field. We thought we'd sprinkle a bit of stardust and things would just work. It didn't and they then continued on a downward spiral," Kennedy reflects.

But the Sharks have gone from strength to strength. Aside from the silverware, the club is just about profitable on turnover of £38.7m, with rising player salaries and medical bills accounting for the biggest costs.

The short-term plan is to develop Edgely Park and hope that attendances can creep up to the 15,000 mark, which would put Sharks closer to pacesetting rival Leicester's 16,500."

He has transformed them from a financially struggling regional outfit into one of the elite clubs in English Rugby (including 2 European Cup wins).

I take note of the sucess he has built with the Sharks and it should not be overlooked however his tenure in football has not been so sucessful.

Former Stockport County chairman Brendan Elwood admits that he now regrets selling the club to Sale Sharks owner Brian Kennedy.

Elwood sold County in the summer of 2003, when Sale moved to Edgeley Park.

But County are now in a sad plight, in danger of a second successive relegation, after winning just 10 league games in two seasons.

"I wish I'd never met Mr Kennedy, I wish I'd never sold it to him," Elwood told BBC Radio Manchester.

"The deal I did with Mr Kennedy, which I thought would be the best deal for the football club and the town, unfortunately hasn't been the case.

"I wish I had advertised it and found a consortium of local businessmen with the financial means to take it forward."

After two years in charge, Kennedy did a deal with the Stockport County's Supporters' Trust in 2005 to take over the football club from Cheshire Sport, the company set up to run both County and Sale.

And the club enjoyed success in 2008 when, under Jim Gannon, County went back up to the third tier of English football via the play-offs.

But Stockport have fallen on hard times again, getting relegated after spending the whole of last season in administration.

The 2015 consortium, consisting of local business people, took over in the summer, bringing the club out of administration.

But results have continued to be poor, culminating in manager Paul Simpson's sacking on 4 January.

And they now stand 20th in the League Two table, just two points clear of danger, and fearful of going down to the Conference.

"It's a terrible situation," said Elwood. "I feel sorry for the present consortium.

"I really am so gutted and desperately disappointed that the football club could get in this position.

"The problems started when Mr Kennedy, for some reason, gave the club to the supporters' trust, people who had no experience and no money.

"I'm very, very despondent. I don't think anyone will come in and invest any money in Stockport County as they've got no assets or nothing to guarantees any investment.

"I feel it's only a matter of time before the football club disappears completely.

"The latest people who have taken over are doing their very best but are fighting a battle they cannot win."

I take note of the sucess he has built with the Sharks and it should not be overlooked however his tenure in football has not been so sucessful.

From that it reads his tenure was fine, his selling to the Supporters Trust caused the problem.

Even with all the money in the world a football team can still struggle on the park. If the team struggles on the park attendances drop, if attendances drop, revenue drops, if revenue drops, spending drops, if spending drops standards drop.

The problems which 'engulfed' SCFC had very little to do with boardroom level and a lot more to do with dressing room level.

At one point their management team was Jim Gannon and Willie McStay.

It depends who you choose to believe really. Kennedy himself said about his time with Stockport that no matter how he improved them as a business, they failed to improve on the field. I've read a few articles from different people about him and they largely seem to think he is a business genius who learned from earlier mistakes and now has the uncanny knack of discovering new business talent and placing them into the companies he buys. He tends to deal with the men he has put in charge rather than fiddle with the companies himself.

As for the stories of many liquidations, they seem to be greatly exaggerated.

I've read a few things where he seems impressive enough; but time will tell. And to The Dude, he won't be here to lose money; how do you think he would make it then?

Even with all the money in the world a football team can still struggle on the park. If the team struggles on the park attendances drop, if attendances drop, revenue drops, if revenue drops, spending drops, if spending drops standards drop.

The problems which 'engulfed' SCFC had very little to do with boardroom level and a lot more to do with dressing room level.

On the basis of your opening paragraph Brian Kennedy would not make a difference to a situation that was getting out of control then. What money did he give them, obviously he didn't give them all the money in the world; so, what did he give them?

I've read a few things where he seems impressive enough; but time will tell. And to The Dude, he won't be here to lose money; how do you think he would make it then?

Running Rangers as a business. Not a plaything/extension of his ego.

Scottish football CAN be profitable. Just look at Celtic (as much as it pains me to say it). Vastly higher wage bill. similar attendance figures, similar sponsorship deals (the few which aren't joint deals with us) yet they are still turning a slight profit. Ranger can, and will be, profitable if ran correctly.

The previous owner stated he wished he never sold to Kennedy and to me that fires up the warning lights, he also said "I wish I had advertised it and found a consortium of local businessmen with the financial means to take it forward."

Add this to the fact the man himself says he does not really want to buy Rangers then I just get the feeling that this is not the best option to take. I suppose that will come down to the administrators to decide who has the best interests of the club and who can financially take it forward.

Scottish football CAN be profitable. Just look at Celtic (as much as it pains me to say it). Vastly higher wage bill. similar attendance figures, similar sponsorship deals (the few which aren't joint deals with us) yet they are still turning a slight profit. Ranger can, and will be, profitable if ran correctly.

£7m loss last season looking like the same this season. I'm sure I read that on here.

That is one way of looking at it. Celtic have had to sometimes sell a player to be in the black. The fact is that the conditions to make a profit in Scottish football are minimal, and if you are saying that he is after a profit-margin on Rangers then that alone would make me sceptical. 4 Clubs in England made a profit last season; every other club made a loss; so it would not be wrong to want to know what Brian Kennedy would do to avert that situation at Rangers.

On the basis of your opening paragraph Brian Kennedy would not make a difference to a situation that was getting out of control then. What money did he give them, obviously he didn't give them all the money in the world; so, what did he give them?

He put approx £4m into SCFC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/content/articles/2005/11/22/221105_sale_stockport_feature.shtml

He then handed control over the their trust who have since tried to sell the club on unsuccesfully. This even resulted in Didi Hamann quitting as manager.

He put approx £4m into SCFC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/content/articles/2005/11/22/221105_sale_stockport_feature.shtml

He then handed control over the their trust who have since tried to sell the club on unsuccesfully. This even resulted in Didi Hamann quitting as manager.

This is all his own words; we have already seen a quote from someone else at Stockport who paints a rather different picture.

That is one way of looking at it. Celtic have had to sometimes sell a player to be in the black. The fact is that the conditions to make a profit in Scottish football are minimal, and if you are saying that he is after a profit-margin on Rangers then that alone would make me sceptical. 4 Clubs in England made a profit last season; every other club made a loss; so it would not be wrong to want to know what Brian Kennedy would do to avert that situation at Rangers.

I don't think he is in it to make profit but he's not there to lose too much either. He is, imo at least, there because he sees an opportunity to ensure the survival of one of the biggest names in world football. Its not like he's some American who has appeared from nowhere. Whilst admittedly a hibs fan, he has said his missus is a bear, and he attended Ibrox as a youth (i know, i know). The guy has enough about him to live comfortably for the rest of his live and provide for is family for the decades to come. If he was to come in, steady the ship and then sell the club then it would be job done imo.

This is all his own words; we have already seen a quote from someone else at Stockport who paints a rather different picture.

tomato-tomayto

Which one is right? Who knows. But just because someone else says 'black' to Kennedys 'white' it doesn't mean he is wrong. Same applies to the ex chairmen. It is however interesting that the supporters trust did try sell the club on not that long after getting control.

The previous owner stated he wished he never sold to Kennedy and to me that fires up the warning lights, he also said "I wish I had advertised it and found a consortium of local businessmen with the financial means to take it forward."

Add this to the fact the man himself says he does not really want to buy Rangers then I just get the feeling that this is not the best option to take. I suppose that will come down to the administrators to decide who has the best interests of the club and who can financially take it forward.

Is a man who made a bid previously to SDM to buy Rangers knowing full well it wouldn't be accepted, the man to save Rangers?

I don't think he is in it to make profit but he's not there to lose too much either. He is, imo at least, there because he sees an opportunity to ensure the survival of one of the biggest names in world football. Its not like he's some American who has appeared from nowhere. Whilst admittedly a hibs fan, he has said his missus is a bear, and he attended Ibrox as a youth (i know, i know). The guy has enough about him to live comfortably for the rest of his live and provide for is family for the decades to come. If he was to come in, steady the ship and then sell the club then it would be job done imo.

I'm not either for or against him; but, as a fan, I would want to know more. What I don't understand is his connection with Stockport; who did he know that supported them?! It would appear that his motive for investing in them was not that they would become self-sufficient, but that Sale could take advantage of their ground.

Is a man who made a bid previously to SDM to buy Rangers knowing full well it wouldn't be accepted, the man to save Rangers?

I honestly don't like either bids to be fair, I dont have all the paperwork so will leave it to the administrators to decide what will take our club forward.

I'm not either for or against him; but, as a fan, I would want to know more. What I don't understand is his connection with Stockport; who did he know that supported them?! It would appear that his motive for investing in them was not that they would become self-sufficient, but that Sale could take advantage of their ground.

If that was the case then why didn't they take the vacant Maine Road that they were the preferred tenants on?