Manchester memories

sillybilly

I came up from Birmingham and got on a train just after 9....

It was already a load of Bears on it. Every stop more and more Bears filling the train (and this was coming the other way from Scotland!)

Getting off at Piccadilly and there being 1 in 10 people that wearnt a Bears fan!

Realising the bins were full by 11!

Going out to Droylsden for a Sash Bash in the afternoon!

My bro's making it after work at about 6 and already not being able to talk myself almost.

Getting my picture taken under the 'Welcome to Manchester' sign with a can of Carlsberg and taking me about 4 months later to actually remember some guy gave it me on a bus!

Waiting at Sainsburys in the train station while they had just taken a delivery of beer and taking 2 x 15 packs of Carling for 4 of us :)

And then the sad bits....

Didn't get to see the game got caught up in the Piccadilly Gardens fiasco, still not watched it at all!

Getting charged by the Riot Police will always sit with me.....sobered back up very quickly...

All in all thou...what a day so many people some many conversations with people I didn't kow but had a great thing in common with. Wouldn't change it (except for the result!)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best memory was having a bevy in the big public square (anyone know the name?) There was this one pub that had implemented a sensible queueing system, served cracking cider. Remember after a while, folks started punting footballs about, up in the air. Then some poor punter, walking out the pub with a tray full of pints got skelped with the ball.. Sounds ridiculous but was buckled with laughter (the cider maybe helped!)

Worst memory.. Finding a poor lad who had been whacked over the head with a baton later. He was obviously concussed and bleeding. Tried to get a police officer to get him an ambulance but the copper didn't give a toss. Shocking..

Evereything from Nacho's penalty was enjoyable ... the trip down the day before was amazing - the trip in from Bolton at 8:00am and the train was full of fans.

Manchester wasnae big enough is so many ways! - including their mindset!

BUT fav was at the stadium the Zenit fans stated doing this 'Bounce (Jump) in Unison thing' (Looked pretty good) ......

.....BUT then we did the BOUNCY!!

fking A1.

We were part of the convoy in the morning, stopped off at couple of services to mingle with fellow Bears, crazy the amount of people.

We stopped at Bolton Asda, right next to the Reebok to get our cargo. They had no chilled beer so we took a few crates and stuffed them under stuff in the freezer section and wandered about for half an hour so they cooled down, we got some weird looks!

When we got to Manchester we headed for the centre and git involved in a big kickabout on a big bit of grass outside a shopping centre, amazing sunshine and loadsa folk just sitting watching and enjoying their beer. I've got loads of pictuees, just red white and blue no matter what street you went down.

A bizarre moment was when my glasses needed tightening after falling off and I went into a specsavers to ask if they would help me out, a fellow bear just walked right in, went behind the counter and done it, the guy was like, its cool mate I work in the Glasgow branch! The guy in the shop just didn't know what to say or do!

Travelled from here (Bermuda) without a ticket (never did get one). Up to Glasgow then drive down to Blackpool leaving at 0530. I recall winding the wee road with trees into the first service station on the motorway, and being blasted with thousands of fellow Bears all over the place. The change from a quiet tree-lined wee driveway into an ocean of singing bluenoses will live with me forever. Then getting the tram car on Blackpool promenade, with OAPs on board from the hotel (The Big Blue Hotel)to the train station - the whole tramcar doing the bouncy, including the old folks...!! Then into Manchester, finding a pub on Canal Street (which they said was the gay street - who cares !!) and sitting in the sunshine with thousands of Bears singing one song after the other. Who cared about fitba...we were there to party. Being in Manchester with (over) 100,000 of my closest friends will be remembered forever. Then when I came back, writing a letter to Machester City Council (copied to UEFA, RFC and Scottish Parliament) about how unprepared Manchester had been.

So, Sunday's coming up...........can't be there, but will be watching on TV.......so..............LET ME HEAR YOU BY YOUR NOISE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WATP.

My mate from the village I stay in was in Manchester but not with me or the folk I was with, he ended up spending all his money and having no way back to the campsite. We were sitting in front of a random hotel in the middle of manchester at 1am only to look up and see my mate casually strolling by was probably the most random thing ever to happen to me.

I didn't make it to Manchester. Was in 5th year and on study leave with an English exam the morning after the game.

Didn't get any revision done for the full week leading up to the game. Was just too excited. Signed up for RangersMedia around that time so spent the whole week checking the TV, Online news and the Forum just to keep up to date.

A couple days before the game and the TV shows reporting on the start of the invasion and it just spread like wildfire until a crazy amount of people descended on the city. Was unbelievable. And to think I only knew of a very small number of people who actually made it down. The vast majority of Rangers fans I know (probably 95%) didn't/couldn't make it. Which just goes to show the volume of our support. The whole European run was incredible! I'd have happily missed my exam to have gone down to Manchester - The folks wouldn't have been so understanding though!

I was in the Picadilly Gardens. Then the obvious happened.

Before that, it was amazing though.

I got a note in tech drawing saying that I was to leave at half 10, screamed with pure joy. Never thought I would go due to my dads work commitments.

I didn't make it to Manchester. Was in 5th year and on study leave with an English exam the morning after the game.

Didn't get any revision done for the full week leading up to the game. Was just too excited. Signed up for RangersMedia around that time so spent the whole week checking the TV, Online news and the Forum just to keep up to date.

A couple days before the game and the TV shows reporting on the start of the invasion and it just spread like wildfire until a crazy amount of people descended on the city. Was unbelievable. And to think I only knew of a very small number of people who actually made it down. The vast majority of Rangers fans I know (probably 95%) didn't/couldn't make it. Which just goes to show the volume of our support. The whole European run was incredible! I'd have happily missed my exam to have gone down to Manchester - The folks wouldn't have been so understanding though!

Only my thick pals who didn't get to do higher English got to got to Manchester :(

All us clever lads had an exam in the morning.

Wish I'd went now though, used that exam result for fuck all.

Fucking whole family was away and I was in the hoose maself

from the airport to manchester via leeds never met as many Bears in my life,was one of the proudest moments of my life gettin off the train in manchester and the sea of red white and blue,UNBELIEVEIBLE....result aside,one hell of a great day..WATP

singing the carlos cuellar song for about an hour solid coming into manchester,it got louder and louder as every 1 started getting more steamin,then when we eventually dumped the bags in the hotel trying to find somewhere that had drink left,i ended up having to buy bottles of ale called emmerdale as thats all that was left,it was fucking rank but drank it anyway!cant remember much after that apart from loosing my gers top

This forum is seriously hoaching with Tims these days.

There are new recruits and also the lurkers that have been here for years... They must think everyone is as daft as they are.

:rolleyes:

Sad bastards.

The day I sign up for a Celtic forum is the day I will check myself into a clinic for serious help.

I have lots of english mates in manchester, i work down here a great deal and every single one of them describes our fans as fantastic.

The best in the world they say.

The inbreds like to say otherwise because of a very small minority of idiots ...but the scum way is lying and deceit !

:praise:

in picadilly gardens fukin wrekd watchn burds get up on the monuments flashin their tits then the woman office workers were doin it haha fukin magic and the train station afterwards just a see of bodies lyin sleepin most face down what a day hh.gifhh.gifhh.gifhh.gifhh.gifuk.gifuk.gifuk.gif

I have lots of english mates in manchester, i work down here a great deal and every single one of them describes our fans as fantastic.

The best in the world they say.

The inbreds like to say otherwise because of a very small minority of idiots ...but the scum way is lying and deceit !

:praise:

I get the odd little joke about trashing their city but its never meant seriously. They all thought our support was brilliant, and it certainly was