rangers fan 1st to break hate law

donrfc737

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To readerseditor@<No links to this website>

Hi,

I notice you have a story and headline claiming a Rangers fan was the first to be convicted under the new Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012.

This is completely incorrect and very inflammatory as a simple check would have revealed that in fact two Hibs fans have this dubious honour.

I would have to wonder at the timing of this "error" following the old firm result. Was this lazy journalism or plain simple bias ?

I look forward to seeing some sort of retraction and apology.

This sort of stuff will ruin your paper.

[Copy of Hibs Fans article here]

(tu)

Two wee scenes that made me chuckle on Sunday before and after the match.

1. A group of about ten Rangers supporters following some Police outside the front of Ibrox and chanting: "We are not sectarian!"

2. On the M8 from Glasgow, just before Paisley in slow traffic from the perpetual road-works, a car swerved to run over a Cletic scarf that had been dropped on the motorway - seconds later the driver and passenger were high-fiving and laughing. Bernadette and Declan in the car behind were going apeshit. They obviously didn't get the joke.

:D

I was in same traffic heading through M8 roadworks taking my wee one home to her mums in my works van and tarriers on a bus were blessing us & generally abusing us for wearing colours,.... I know its not good parenting but i got my wee yin to write BJK on my a4 notebook & show them, they were going ballistic......

Dear Editor,

I note your online article:

http://www.<No links to this website>/news/scottish-news/2012/03/27/rangers-supporter-becomes-first-fan-to-admit-offence-under-new-football-hate-laws-86908-23803054/

You are factually incorrect to state that a Rangers supporter has become the first fan to admit offence under the new hate laws, a simple search would have resulted in the following story:

http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-news/news/2012/03/14/glasgow-sheriff-court-first-to-convict-under-new-football-offensive-behaviour-legislation-102692-23787819/

You'll note it was two Hibs fans who have the dubious honour of pleading guilty under the new laws. I question your lack of editorial diligence in this story and wonder if it has anything to do with your dwindling circulation figures.

I look forward to a retraction, apology and correction to follow.

Regards,

I was in same traffic heading through M8 roadworks taking my wee one home to her mums in my works van and tarriers on a bus were blessing us & generally abusing us for wearing colours,.... I know its not good parenting but i got my wee yin to write BJK on my a4 notebook & show them, they were going ballistic......

Terrible parenting but hilarious!

It's a joke that in a recession we're giving out cautions to young guys for calling them 'paedophiles' which will in turn reduce their employability.

The police in this country are a fucking joke, is it any wonder nobody trusts them or has any faith in them?

Not all of them. Where I was sitting in the enclosure on sunday, down near Copland end, when Sone scored one cop jumped so high his hat came off.

As for the peadophile chant, I cant see whats wrong with it. Their club & sect are steeped in it.

some of you are wasting your time emailing the daily record.

i emailed them once years ago, when the fillled up printing space about a photographer who captured a full iceberg (above and below surface water) because the angle of the light from the sun + the calm ocean water made it possible, or some nonsense like that. This is the picture:

iceberg.jpg

given my line of work, i could tell at first glance the image was fake. The bottom of the iceberg, which would have been very deep underwater, was reflecting sun light, it was exposed to light as much as the top of the iceberg. An even bigger giveaway was that the sides of the berg underwater didnt match-up with the top. And is there a lense even capable of picking up the entire thing without being miles back?

After reading it, i knew straight away it was a load of pish and wondered if the DR editors were really that stupid, or if they were just desperate to fill some space. (im 100% convinced its the later).

Anyway, i emailed the clowns with a couple of links, such as this one: http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/iceberg.asp which disproves their "story".

never got a reply.

it sums the Daily Record up though - they will literally print ANYTHING, even photoshopped images of icebergs that they can fill column space with :lol:

Tut tut call yourself father, no ! Good stuff :)

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:52:55 +0100

Subject:

To:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comment.

The story made it clear he was the first fan at an Old Firm match.

On the timing, he appeared in court yesterday and we reported the case as it happened.

Yours sincerely

--

Allan Rennie

Editor in Chief

Media Scotland

Daily Record and Sunday Mail

Scottish & Universal Newspapers

0141 309 3454

07831 725 141

Hi Allan,

Can you show me where it mentions that in the headline below ? The entire story appears to give the impression Rangers fans were first to be convicted under this new law.

Rangers supporter becomes first fan to admit offence under new football hate laws

It is also a bit odd that of the arrests mentioned in the article, it was only the Rangers fans that had their team identified.

I'm not given to paranoia, but you must see how that article looks, and it doesn't reflect well on your paper.

Regards

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:52:55 +0100

Subject:

To:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comment.

The story made it clear he was the first fan at an Old Firm match.

On the timing, he appeared in court yesterday and we reported the case as it happened.

Yours sincerely

--

Allan Rennie

Editor in Chief

Media Scotland

Daily Record and Sunday Mail

Scottish & Universal Newspapers

0141 309 3454

07831 725 141

Hi Allan,

Can you show me where it mentions that in the headline below ? The entire story appears to give the impression Rangers fans were first to be convicted under this new law.

Rangers supporter becomes first fan to admit offence under new football hate laws

It is also a bit odd that of the arrests mentioned in the article, it was only the Rangers fans that had their team identified.

I'm not given to paranoia, but you must see how that article looks, and it doesn't reflect well on your paper.

Regards

what an embarassing reply :lol:

the headline is this:

and is factually incorrect, full stop.

Then they try to pass it off as the article clearly states he was the first during an OF by including some half backed sentence within the article.

Thats like printing a headline: "Russians first to land on the moon"

Russians became he first men to land on the moon yesterday after launching from a Moscow space station.

the above article does not contest that the americans were first to land on the moon, it clearly states Russians where the first to make a moon landing from a moscow space station :lol:

you shouldnt bother insulting yourself by reading that piece of piss tabloid. It's aimed at the lower IQ's who have trouble with big words.

rangers fan arrested before the game for branding the manky mob "paedophiles"....how can this happen by telling the truth........

donrfc737, i think we have a bad enought time with the papers bad mouthing with made up lies never mind someone within out own boards.

Why did you post your title as its clearly wrong and im sure theres nothing wrong with your editing skils.

donrfc737, i think we have a bad enought time with the papers bad mouthing with made up lies never mind someone within out own boards.

Why did you post your title as its clearly wrong and im sure theres nothing wrong with your editing skils.

I think he's hurting.