• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never seen any of these guys in the flesh accept Laudrup at the legends match

But given testimonials and youtube footage

Baxter >Laudrup > Cooper > Gascoigne

Baxter imo was the greatest Scottish winger/trickster there has been, there are neutrals that say he was underrated and much better than Jinky

Having seen "Shug" in his pomp i can't disagree.

Bumped into Shuggie a couple of days before we played Spurs (Jock Wallaces' last game). He was in Inverness, looking for the Ross County social club. doh

Never seen any of these guys in the flesh accept Laudrup at the legends match

But given testimonials and youtube footage

Baxter >Laudrup > Cooper > Gascoigne

Baxter imo was the greatest Scottish winger/trickster there has been, there are neutrals that say he was underrated and much better than Jinky

Baxter was a left-half(midfielder today) while JJ was a right winger so no comparison can be made.Personally thought Willie Henderson was a more effective player than JJ. More direct whilst JJ would go back to try and beat his man again WH would beat them and cross the ball.

Baxter was a left-half(midfielder today) while JJ was a right winger so no comparison can be made.Personally thought Willie Henderson was a more effective player than JJ. More direct whilst JJ would go back to try and beat his man again WH would beat them and cross the ball.

I think people mean in terms of skill rather than the position, the same way you could compare the skills of Ronaldo and Messi, even though they are very different players. I should also add, i've heard many a Celtic fan agree that Baxter was a better player than Jinky, probably because of what he did to England.

And Stein chose WH over JJ for Scotland.

for 9 games!

I think he gets too much praise. Dont get me wrong, i loved him, and without his injury I think he would have went on to be one of our greatest signings. He scored 9 goals in 9 games before his injury, that alone is not enough for the praise he gets.

He was never anywhere near the player he was after that.

At his best for 9 games. But the OP asked our most skillful and he'd be up there, no doubt, regardless of his injury, he possessed great skill.

In my time following Rangers it would be

Davie Cooper but my dad would say Jim Baxter and then Willie Henderson, the older bears arent often wrong

another one i enjoyed watching was Mikhailichenko still thing if he was allowed to play anywhere like the great dane he would have been amazing :uk:

I think people mean in terms of skill rather than the position, the same way you could compare the skills of Ronaldo and Messi, even though they are very different players. I should also add, i've heard many a Celtic fan agree that Baxter was a better player than Jinky, probably because of what he did to England.

Fair enough. In terms of skill no-one will ever come close to one James Curran Baxter.

Can only comment on players I've seen so Baxter isn't an option for me. Basically a three way between Laudrup, Cooper and Gascoigne. Would have to say Laudrup for pure skill, but Gascoigne had the best natural football brain of any player I've seen at Rangers.