Shock for some of you

Alot of people on here were saying the understood that we may not be challenging properly for the title for 2 maybe 3 years, now we've been taken over people are expecting to win it next season.

Although I'd love to win it next season, I don't expect us to, let's get our fucking numbers in order first.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I certainly don't expect extravagant spending, however I don't believe that in itself means we cannot compete.

Firstly, we will operate at a substantially larger budget than everyone else outside Celtic, that alone should mean 2nd place, at least, is a given. Winning breeds confidence and if you get on a run of form and competing in what, in all likelihood, will still be a two-horse race then who knows.

Secondly, I have long since advocated a more sensible signing policy. Paying large fees, and big wages for already established players is not the way to go. We should focus on younger upcoming talents, who should be cheaper and offer sell-on potential. Those who say we should not be a feeder club...there are only about 5-10 clubs in world football who can confidently state they are not feeder clubs! We should also supplement the squad with experienced pros (the likes of Weir & Boca etc.), no major investment, get a few decent years out of them and a great benefit to the players around them.

On the back of some success, I would also still say we should be able to stretch to the odd marquee signing (although not likely in next year or two), the likes of Jelavic, genuine quality signings for around £3-5m and potential to sell for £7-10m after a couple of years service (the sort of money we SHOULD have got for Jela!).

At the moment, having a club for my grandchildren to follow is all i want. We went through 9 seasons without winning the title and our good days will return.

Jesus, I didn't even see this post. Is this the first time you and I have been in total accord, Minstral? :)

I think the next couple of seasons are going to be a major culture shock for some of our fans. Green et al. seem like highly astute buisnessmen, and judging by his "no debt" comments, we won't be spending little if any money on transfers or wages anymore.

We should feasibly be able to get second place with a wage structure similar to that of Hearts or Motherwell, who are two of the biggest challengers for it. They operate at about a third of what we currently do, so expect a lot of players to go and a lot of youth to come in.

In 5-6 years time, the club Rangers will be debt-free and in a strong position for expansion. But people expecting us to compete next season, might be in for a shock! Anyways, we'll let the tims try and catch up our records. We Welcome the Chase.

P.S. A lot of the more vintage bears have the fondest memories of the bears in the early 80s and late 70s. This might be due to terracing, a lot of its due to Super Cooper, but it might just slightly be that we were shite. And that when you went to games, you knew everybody surrounding you would die for the club you loved.

I sort of disagree with you on this.

We may have to stabilise for a season or two (and I agree that stabilisation process will be a shock to some wacko.gif )

BUT we will NOT have a wage structure similar to Hearts or Motherwell - we will something like 3 times the season ticket money Hearts have (and they are 3rd biggest and more TV cash etc.) and our wage structure even in the next 2 seasons will be closer to Celtic that Hearts. It will still be a two horse race and we may come second but we should concede nothing and our budget will allow us to compete with them.

When Europe returns our budget will go up again.

But I do agree there will be some pain and some fans may not like that - but even that pain has got to be better than the shite we are going through now.

Have I missed something? Has our revenue stream suddenly disappeared? I'd imagine next season should be budgeted like any other where we weren't in the CL. What should change is not taking out huge bank loans or loans from dodgy finance companies or taking on risky payment strategies.

Although I do agree in part, I have to say I don't think it will be as long as 5,6 or 7 years before we are stable. Green seems a no nonsense kind of man and I can see a few very barren years where a top 6 finish will be a realistic aim and maybe our 3rd or 4th season getting a challenge back. This, ofcourse, is if we get the CVA in place asap.

WATP

I fully expect to be competing for the title next season. I believe the majority of our squad want to stay, and it will be their decision conclusively. Achieving a CVA, I see no reason why the best team in the country shouldn't believe they can win the title which is rightfully ours anyway. I know there will be plenty of hurdles and a long road ahead, but we're no stranger to adversity and we have overcome many times before.

At the moment, having a club for my grandchildren to follow is all i want. We went through 9 seasons without winning the title and our good days will return.

Minstral one of my three all time fav games after Barca & Big Tam's Cup Final.

It was the 1970-71 League Cup Final when a 16 year old from Dundee scored with a fabulous header and I well remember standing directly behind Evan Williams goal as the ball found the net.

Now beating these bastards anytime is great.

Beating them in a cup final is like nectar.

Beating them after a nine-year trophy drought --- well you can imagine how that victory was savored.

I don't believe our resurrection will take nine years. I predict 3-5 years during which time we will win something.

to get to a wage bill the size of motherwells you would have to lose ever player at the club.

motherwell have first team player on the same wage the two diddy twins from man city get in our u19s.

but second should be possible with a much much lower wage bill.

of course rangers fans won't wear second for long.

two managers were sacked during chesneys 3 in a row.

Then equally our revenue is probably close to 7 times that of Dundee United etc

You are completely missing the point. There is no need for us to spend 7x that of Dundee United in order to beat them, no matter what our income is.

We don’t need to spend big to challenge for the title, if we curb our spending then Celtic will follow granting they don’t get into the CL group stages.

We don’t have to have players on 15-30k a week in the SPL, it’s ludicrous tbh when you look at the opposition we play 99% of the time. Do Lafferty, Whittaker, Davis ect really warrant an extra 10 or so thousand a week when compared to Little, McCabe, Ness ? I really don’t think so in terms of the league we play in.

Next year will be tough make no mistake and if we lose players like I expect then I’d be surprised to win it but if we manage to keep some of them including Aluko then we of course have a good chance.

We don’t need to spend big to challenge for the title, if we curb our spending then Celtic will follow granting they don’t get into the CL group stages.

We don’t have to have players on 15-30k a week in the SPL, it’s ludicrous tbh when you look at the opposition we play 99% of the time. Do Lafferty, Whittaker, Davis ect really warrant an extra 10 or so thousand a week when compared to Little, McCabe, Ness ? I really don’t think so in terms of the league we play in.

Next year will be tough make no mistake and if we lose players like I expect then I’d be surprised to win it but if we manage to keep some of them including Aluko then we of course have a good chance.

why will celtc follow?

why will celtc follow?

Because we have seen that if Peter L can spend the bare minimum then he will, are Celtic going to spend the current amount on wages, transfer ect when their only realistic rival has cut costs? I highly doubt it.

The only way I see them keeping the way they are is if they get yearly participation in the CL groups which will be very tough as the co efficient get’s worse for Scottish teams.

Because we have seen that if Peter L can spend the bare minimum then he will, are Celtic going to spend the current amount on wages, transfer ect when their only realistic rival has cut costs? I highly doubt it.

The only way I see them keeping the way they are is if they get yearly participation in the CL groups which will be very tough as the co efficient get’s worse for Scottish teams.

to get in the cl he might well.

but I understand your point.

Yeah, I understand that. But we can sustainably spend more.

True, but we shouldn't need to go anywhere near those figures if there is no success. Lowish basic, topped up with handsome bonuses for a winning team. Bring in players with the hunger, drive and confidence to take us forward, but within our means.