Craig Levein says it will be 'difficult' for Rangers players to make step up

KeyserSoze

There might be a thread elsewhere discussing this topic - but does playing in the 3rd div automatically make Lee Wallace a pish player? Surely by virtue of the headline and article (shit as it is btw) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/scotland/9456258/Craig-Levein-says-it-will-be-difficult-for-Rangers-players-to-make-step-up-to-Scotland-but-refuses-to-close-door.html#

good players are good players despite the opposition! The difference is that we have had players "drop" into this league - I think that there is a big dry boak from Levein when considering including a player who is now plying his trade in a league other than the sphell.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It simply means our players will be tested less each week due to weaker competition.

I think it's fair comment to be honest.

You'll probably get someone saying "If Messi played here he'd still be Messi" etc, but I think you have to compare players of a similar level.

It simply means our players will be tested less each week due to weaker competition.

I think it's fair comment to be honest.

You'll probably get someone saying "If Messi played here he'd still be Messi" etc, but I think you have to compare players of a similar level.

Ok, if McGregor played here he would still be McGregor and still Scotland Number 1.

It's understandable but I don't agree that Wallace playing in Div 3 will make him any less of a player, in my eyes it's going to toughen a lot of our players up. Realistically he's the only Scot we have who would have been a regular in the squad, but as I've said on other posts, Bardsley, Crainey and Mulgrew were all ahead of him (remember Wallace was out for most of the 2010-11 season due to injury) and Levein does love capping players just because they play down south. It is only a friendly, maybe he will get a recall. The fact is, Levein is the most tactically inept manager I've seen through my years following Scotland. The USA defeat highlighted that, as he has no Plan B whatsoever. Wallace would be backup to Bardsley anyway, plus as I mentioned elsewhere there are a few fixture clashes between Scotland and SFL competitions this year which would make it harder for him to get picked. I'm sure Wallace was aware of this when he agreed to stay at the club, he's just going to have to prove everybody wrong if he really wants to play for both Rangers in the SFL and Scotland.

I appreciate its Scotland and all players want to play for their country. But if this is what he is basing his choices on rather than picking the best Scots players, is anyone going to really want to play for them, knowing the tumble down the rankings the Scots are going to take due to the co efficient etc etc. I am a proud Scots supporter but when choices like this are made you realise just why we are in the position we are with qualification.

Ok, if McGregor played here he would still be McGregor and still Scotland Number 1.

eh, kind of missed the whole point of my post.

While the SPL strikers might not be great, they'd be testing McGregor way more than the part time 3rd divisioners would.

Sharpness would be lost.

Levein is still a dick, but I find it hard to disagree with him on that.

Is there really that much difference between Peterhead and Calley Thistle?

It's not as if these players were up against the cream in the SPL. If CL is willing to leave out quality players then he will lose his job and I for one can't wait for that day.

FUCK OFF Levein.

Surely now though the players who get selected from the SPL are now playing in a weaker league due to us not being there and therefore may not be able to "make the step up"

No?

Totally agree. I think the one positive I take out of us being in Div 3 (as a Scotland follower) is that a lot more youngsters will come through. But the likes of United and Hearts are unlikely to sell to Celtic because they would then be enhancing the competition, and ruining any chances of winning anything (as unlikely as it already is). Celtic's best players will leave next summer or the summer of 2014, leaving them with the likes of Forrest and McGeough as the main men, standard of league will probably decline rapidly. Can't see many players outwith Celtic getting capped because they'll be playing at a low level compared to those playing in League One

Surely now though the players who get selected from the SPL are now playing in a weaker league due to us not being there and therefore may not be able to "make the step up"

No?

well said..

id rather none of our players play for scotland anyway, weve a limited squad and will be in four competotions this season, we cant afford guys getting silly injuries while playing for the jacobites

Totally agree. I think the one positive I take out of us being in Div 3 (as a Scotland follower) is that a lot more youngsters will come through. But the likes of United and Hearts are unlikely to sell to Celtic because they would then be enhancing the competition, and ruining any chances of winning anything (as unlikely as it already is). Celtic's best players will leave next summer or the summer of 2014, leaving them with the likes of Forrest and McGeough as the main men, standard of league will probably decline rapidly. Can't see many players outwith Celtic getting capped because they'll be playing at a low level compared to those playing in League One

They will sell to Celtic in a second if the money is right. However by the time we are back in the SPL Celtic will be a shadow of what they are just now. And to be honest they are not much right now and nothing to be afraid of.

As soon as CL football is out of the picture then they will lose their best players.

Deffo... the league only finished in May. all of a sudden Lee Wallace is not fit to play for Scotland <cr> Does he start playing poorly because of where he is! doubt it. take this scenario.... Rangers Hump everyone in sight...including knocking the scum out the cup... would Levein swallow his dry boak and call a few up DOUBT IT! cos the man is a complete and utter waste of space and cant think past keeping his bosses tight. Wallace would be Wallace wherever he played, McGregor is McGregor even in Turkey!!!

well said..

id rather none of our players play for scotland anyway, weve a limited squad and will be in four competotions this season, we cant afford guys getting silly injuries while playing for the jacobites

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been a Scotland fan for as long as I can remember and I always felt proud seeing our players do well for our Country but after whats happened lately I am only concerned about us now and by our players not playing for Scotland it can only benefit us.