Strips and other merchandise

BawdeepLoyal

The other thread about Puma making taking over from Umbro got me thinking about why Rangers don't just make their own strips.

With the Umbro/JJB deal we were getting about 3.5 million per annum (someone correct me if this is wrong).

Strips cost about 6 quid to make. They then get sold to the distributors for about 22 quid - the profit is the brand owners cut. The distributor like Sports Direct / JJB then sell them for 40 to 50 quid and that is their profit.

If we manufactured and sold them ourselves we could take the full whack ourselves. This would be strips that are brandless.

My information is that Umbro was getting about 80,000 shirts made for Rangers. This is not a great amount and would suggest the lack of exposure we have is affecting sales. Other teams like Newcastle are getting 200,000 plus made. Where are we going so far wrong?

With someone actually doing their homework and getting things moving we could sell double that amount, and with the extra merchandising I am sure we could make 6 to 7 million a year clear quite easily. Add a few quid from sponsors and we would be looking good.

Thoughts?

Dont have the facilities to manufacture our own strips.

We have access to any of the factories that NIKE/UMBRO/ADIDAS use in Indonesia/Thailand for example - we go there with an order as happens just now. Why wouldn't we do that?

We use the brand owners for that step just now, who then sell to the distributors. That is the easiest part of the deal TBH.

If its that easy, why does every other club not do it?

Its not just strips, its training gear, tracksuits, jackets, hats, etc. The reason why umbro/adidas/puma get the contracts is they have all the infrastructure, and contacts set up.

It would take a MASSIVE amount of initial investment.

Correct me if im wrong but we did manufacture our own kits back in 2003/04 and 2004/05 with Diadora, hence the awful quality and 2005/06 with Umbro which is the reason why Umbro was wrote on the shirt and not the daft diamonds.

If its that easy, why does every other club not do it?

Its not just strips, its training gear, tracksuits, jackets, hats, etc. The reason why umbro/adidas/puma get the contracts is they have all the infrastructure, and contacts set up.

It would take a MASSIVE amount of initial investment.

It wouldn't though - that is my point.

Its like the fighting fund - look for help/assistance from bluenoses and its all there.

All of the factories that make strips make the other gear as well - they are apparel manufacturers, rather than strip manufacturers.

With regard to "we did that 10 years ago", when you look at how the previous regime fucked us over at every turn, are you surprised that they took all the cash for themselves when the strips were sold and none of it went into paying for a decent product? (Bain's pockets were filled every time we made an order)

If you spend 10 US dollars in Thailand for a strip (wholesale) you get great quality. Thats is a fact.

Rangers had strips made by admiral in the 90s and I think Murray had bought admiral to do it strips fell apart and were shite quality

That was 20 years ago mate and Murray is not involved. Just seems we are worried about buying tickets selling to UK based bears when we can make millions on selling merchandise to a global market and its not being looked at.

If Mike Ashley comes in he will make millions instead. Why wouldn't we want to do that?

Rangers made the "diadora" ones, hence the reason diadoras brand logo was never on them.

Diadora paid Rangers a "sponsorship".

The quality of the strip wasn't great though.

So the equivalent of billboard advertising then - never knew that.

if this was feasible then clubs like Barca and Man U would have picked up on it years ago, these clubs probably sell 10x the jerseys we sell so they would have come up with something like this years ago if it were to turn a profit.