Some truths following our opening day in Division Three

papaguy51

• We will still absolutely piss this league.
  • A draw wasn't a horrible result - it might actually help us in the long run.
  • Ally McCoist is incredibly naive tactically and really has to start imposing our authority on inferior teams.
  • We are in dire need of some real width.

What do we think?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ally McCoist is incredibly naive tactically and really has to start imposing our authority on inferior teams.

What do we think?

Big Jock Knew?

I agree.

I love Ally but he aint a manager. :disappointment:

He's an absolute hero, but I think some people give him more credit as a manager than he deserves due to a few rousing speeches during this tough period.

I can absolutely understand that, but now that we're back to the nitty gritty, the spotlight will be on him.

He needs to stop trying to be Walter Smith. Only Walter Smith can be Walter Smith.

Tactically, I still think we are poor. Too often we fail to change formation/personnel when it's clear to everyone watching, the system isn't working. Even little things like set pieces show teams too much respect, and Walker picked up on it as well. All last season we did it, and did so again- bringing everyone back for free kicks and corners. When we do manage to clear it, there's no one to break with the ball.

Left wing I think we're fine with- both McKay and Shiels can play there as far as I'm aware, and Wallace is more than capable. I feel for Andy Little though- after a great spell at the end of last season up front, he's been pushed out to the right where he's pretty anonymous. He doesn't have the ability to take on the left back, and whip a cross in. I'd much rather see Shiels or McKay out wide.

What do we think?

I think you're right. Obviously we wanted to start with a win, but at least the players know now it won't be a walk in the park and they have to turn up for games.

What do we think?

Can't really argue with any of that . Add to that ,we need a defence .goian and boca will either need to accept the situation we are in or leave , cos I don't think their commitment is there at the moment .

Tactically, I still think we are poor. Too often we fail to change formation/personnel when it's clear to everyone watching, the system isn't working. Even little things like set pieces show teams too much respect, and Walker picked up on it as well. All last season we did it, and did so again- bringing everyone back for free kicks and corners. When we do manage to clear it, there's no one to break with the ball.

Left wing I think we're fine with- both McKay and Shiels can play there as far as I'm aware, and Wallace is more than capable. I feel for Andy Little though- after a great spell at the end of last season up front, he's been pushed out to the right where he's pretty anonymous. He doesn't have the ability to take on the left back, and whip a cross in. I'd much rather see Shiels or McKay out wide.

As I said above, all benchmarks of Walter Smith.

Late, often too late, when changing the team, an abundance of strikers leading to us playing them as wingers, everyone back for corners and far too much respect, possession and territory given to inferior sides.

Be your own man Ally, please!

He's an absolute hero, but I think some people give him more credit as a manager than he deserves due to a few rousing speeches during this tough period.

I can absolutely understand that, but now that we're back to the nitty gritty, the spotlight will be on him.

He needs to stop trying to be Walter Smith. Only Walter Smith can be Walter Smith.

Agreed, Ally.... quit playing players OUT OF POSITION mate... it doesn't work..... oh, and go get registered... more than good enough for a twenty min-30 min stint... as is Durrant.

I think you're right. Obviously we wanted to start with a win, but at least the players know now it won't be a walk in the park and they have to turn up for games.

Of course, level pegging at 90 mins v Brechin didn't warn them of that?

today told me fuckall other than that we are missing not having a pre season. once we are fit we will steamroller these diddy teams.

i dont get all this shite super is having to take today either. nobody was complaining on tuesday night or saying he wasnt a good manager. ally is mr rangers and will lead us back to the top with charles.

what i will say is we should get shot of the likes of bocanegra whos heads are obviously not in it.

young mckay looks like he has the potential to be world class tho. i was dissapointed with him after brechin but today and tuesday the wee man was out of this world.

i think a lot of folk need to calm down. we have played three drew one and won two.

Of course, level pegging at 90 mins v Brechin didn't warn them of that?

You realise we had no pre-season at all, do you? :unsure:

Listen, obviously this team will take a bit of time to gel. If you think today is a disaster football-wise, I'm happy for you. You've obviously missed some horrible times. Enjoy your youth (tu)

3-4-3 was the wrong way to go today. We struggled defensively and could barely get Little and Wallace involved in the game. Everything went through the middle where it was packed since Peterhead played with 3 centre backs and 3 central midfielders. Even though it is a narrow pitch, you can still use the wings.

We should win every home game this season but if today is anything to go by then we will struggle away from home.

Hopefully it blows any feelings of complacency out of the window. The players are virtual strangers and one or two don't have their hearts in it. I think we will improve massively, given time and patience from our (rightfully) demanding support.