Some truths following our opening day in Division Three

papaguy51

I wouldn't count that.

Our first competitive game in god-knows how long, I thought we done well in the circumstances.

Having never played a game when we were below SPL/1st Division standard in 140 years, do you not think there should be some sort of carryover from our pedigree which should've seen us through?

Don't imagine Brechin 's pre-season will have been much tougher than Peterhead's which I've mentioned elsewhere.

I suspect we should be able to make up tougher opposition in 5 a sides to help our preparation.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think if Ally had went out there with better tactics and the mindset of giving absolutely NO respect, we'd have hosed that today.

Thats the sort of attitude that will get us whipped I'm afraid.

These teams need to be respected. We play them in the first 60 minutes, and avoid their heavy challenges, then the full time training and superior ability will win the day more often than not.

You realise we had no pre-season at all, do you? :unsure:

Listen, obviously this team will take a bit of time to gel. If you think today is a disaster football-wise, I'm happy for you. You've obviously missed some horrible times. Enjoy your youth (tu)

You realise we put out 9 - NINE - full internationals today?

Pre-season - 5's against full internationals against games v Inverurie Locos!

Full time training against 3 nights a week.

I'm 54, probably seen more horrible times than you ( btw, got burned in the Bradford fire amongst other things)

I usually respect your opinion but I don't need sarky comments like that (& would say that you're normally above that)

Never said it was a disaster, but am happy to opine that it was a very long way from adequate

I've just remembered about the Brazilian, hopefully the defence can be more settled with him there.

Part of me is saying Goian doesn't have the heart, the other is saying he isn't good enough for division 3.

Now that is a pretty outrageous statement for an international but he's hardly been satisfying today or at Brechin. I'd say he's wanting out ASAP.

Thats the sort of attitude that will get us whipped I'm afraid.

These teams need to be respected. We play them in the first 60 minutes, and avoid their heavy challenges, then the full time training and superior ability will win the day more often than not.

I don't mean that as in go out and think we'll win.

I mean go out there, don't drop back, don't give away possession, don't bring every player back to defend a corner...just don't be so fucking nice.

I'm 54, probably seen more horrible times than you ( btw, got burned in the Bradford fire amongst other things)

I usually respect your opinion but I don't need sarky comments like that (& would say that you're normally above that)

Never said it was a disaster, but am happy to opine that it was a very long way from adequate

I think they only train twice weekly ....... we are training every day... pre-season or not... pish play today especially given that the whole game WASN'T played at a high tempo, full stop ....makes it even worse.

We can only get better.... I'm SURE we will too.

Onward and upwards.

The truth is, our motley squad of half in half outs are no shoe in for promotion this year.

I'm sad to see this happen, but we've been reduced to a pile of rubble.

Today was akin to watching minnows feast of a rotted whale carcass.

Can't believe some of what I've read on these forums tonight.This team has been thrown together,it'll take it time to gel and remember,they didn't lose.The stats were something like Peterhead 8 shots Rangers 20.Both Phs goals came from defensive blunders and we missed some great chances.I agree we need a wide right player but for me the real problem was that we didn't play with enough pace,we played at their pace,which gave them all the time in the world to close us down.KEEP THE FAITH BEARS. :21:

The truth is, our motley squad of half in half outs are no shoe in for promotion this year.

I'm sad to see this happen, but we've been reduced to a pile of rubble.

Today was akin to watching minnows feast of a rotted whale carcass.

:shifty:

I think they only train twice weekly ....... we are training every day... pre-season or not... pish play today especially given that the whole game WASN'T played at a high tempo, full stop ....makes it even worse.

We can only get better.... I'm SURE we will too.

Onward and upwards.

I agree fully!

I didn't mean to come across as sarky (although I can't say I've never been accused of it before). I completely agree that today was a long way from adequate, but I don't think we can read too much into it. I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of a proper pre-season, with full 90 minute matches. That's been denied us, before we even consider the uncertainty the players have had about their futures.

9 full internationals? Maybe so (still trying to figure out number 9...) but not a team of superstars. You can call Broadfoot a full international all you want, it won't make him turn around any faster.

I'm sorry to hear about Bradford, and also sorry for offending you, I assure you it wasn't intentional.

Same team today as the one who blew East Fife off the park on Tuesday.

Difference today was all about players attitude NOT the manager.

Broad foot and Goian were awful today and that's not really Ally's fault.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call

Our passing out the back has to improve. Too many times, Alexander, Goian and Broadfoot just hoofed it up the park hoping for the best.

Just because we're in the 3rd doesn't mean that our opponents are much slower than SPL players. On a few occasions, I noticed our guys try to knock it round a Peterhead player/make a 50-50 pass into space, and the Peterhead player picked up the ball easily.

In McCulloch and Kyle, we have two of the best headers of a ball in the country. Let's play to their strengths, and get a bit more pace on balls coming in.

On the bright side, Barrie McKay has a great touch and good composure, but needs to learn to cope with the physicality of senior football (which he no doubt will do in the coming months). Lewis McLeod also impressed me. Quietly efficient in possession, he'll be a big player for us this year.

All in all, the tactics need evolution rather than full out revolution. A few tweaks, one or two additions and match practice will see us right.

Too early to worry. We need more games and some more defenders and wingers. Get rid of Broadfoot and goian.

I didn't mean to come across as sarky (although I can't say I've never been accused of it before). I completely agree that today was a long way from adequate, but I don't think we can read too much into it. I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of a proper pre-season, with full 90 minute matches. That's been denied us, before we even consider the uncertainty the players have had about their futures.

I

9 full internationals? Maybe so (still trying to figure out number 9...) but not a team of superstars. You can call Broadfoot a full international all you want, it won't make him turn around any faster.

I'm sorry to hear about Bradford, and also sorry for offending you, I assure you it wasn't intentional.

No worries - the old Internet doesn't always let things come across as we intend! For what it's worth, I'm usually in agreement with everything you post, so I don't think we're that far apart!

Alexander, Broadfoot, Boca, Wallace, Shiels, Jig, Little, Goian & Kyle make nine.

As you say, not so many superstars, but it might not be unreasonable to expect a certain standard of performance?

You might've thought that they would've just been glad to be back playing , but the sporting psyche must be beyond that!

We need to get in defenders who want to be here. We were crap today but would still have won if the 3 defenders were up for the game.

I'm hoping over the next week we get in a winger or 2 because width with a proper winger will make a big difference.

Ally needs to find a different formation and tactics for away games, at home though it will be a doddle.

Same team today as the one who blew East Fife off the park on Tuesday.

Difference today was all about players attitude NOT the manager.

Broad foot and Goian were awful today and that's not really Ally's fault.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call

a few differences between the cup game and todays game

Cup game was played on a bigger pitch, enthusiasm only ets you so far before actual talent wins the day

secondly today the peterhead guys didnt do a 9 hour shift before the game (well i fucking hope they never), the east fife guys on tuesday night did

• We will still absolutely piss this league.
  • A draw wasn't a horrible result - it might actually help us in the long run.
  • Ally McCoist is incredibly naive tactically and really has to start imposing our authority on inferior teams.
  • We are in dire need of some real width.

What do we think?

I agree with that post, although i think Ally does have more in his locker tacticly than most think, hr rarely gets credit for a good preformance like Tue night, but always gets the flack for a bad one. I think he does need to break out of the cautious Walter mould and really impose his own desire as an ex striker for attacking football on the team, but if this year has shown us anything, its that Ally McCoist is alot tougher than some give him credit for.