Ally McCoist The Manager

Tiebreak54

last season we scooshed 2nd place despite going into administration and being deducted 10 points. this season we've had no pre-season games, we only found out what league we would be playing in about a month ago, we are still in the process of rebuilding a decemanted squad, some senior players clearly have their heads elsewhere and we're only 3 games in. you're questioning the manager? you're a fucking nugget.

yeh but forget all that, i dont want to see long balls being played, even if we win.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I would rather win playing brilliantly. Scotland is not the be all and end all. What about Europe?

what relevance has that reply to do with me celebrating rangers winning trophies?

Europes a bonus but first and foremost you need to be the best in your own land, and if we fuck the taigs and claim trophies year after year then im happy

did you miss the part where i said the Uefa cup final was one of the greatest days of my life? :clap:

Some players do not want to stay at Rangers and if they are not performing well it harms the teams performance.I do not know if Ally plays these players to put them in the shop window or just because they have more ability than the youth despite the lack of form.Once we have all our signings in and the players gel I have no doubt we will see improvements .Also working our way through the divisions will give Super experience and time to develop the team.

If you suggest our manager isn't good enough I can only assume you have an idea of who would be. The fact that you have clearly picked your candidate because he was a stylish footballer doesn't fill me with much confidence that your OP was anything more than a bit of a tantrum. If you had picked out an excellent young manager who'd relistically lookat taking the job then i'd have some respect for your opinion and I certainly wouldn't fob it off.

I'd suggest that I put my points back across to you and you seem to have got your back up a bit. And that last line, utter garbage. As a set of supporters I don't think i've ever known a crowd more critical of its club. The fact is, you are suggesting we get rid of a man who hasn't lost a competitive game for a decent amount of time. You also seem to willingly neglect the unprecedented circumstances. How does one implement a style of play while losing 20+ players, including all his best players? How does he do it while the club goes into administration and is docked points? How does he do it with a transfer ban coming into place.

I fully agree that we can and at times should play a better brand of football. But I cannot understand such criticism while we are still winning football games. It's simply not the time

If you read my original post you will see I have accepted that unprecedented circumstances have impacted heavily on Ally as a manager. As harsh as it may sound, he cannot dine out on this forever. Winning is great, it is the ultimate aim in sport, but against part-timers we need more. Winning in the 4th tier is not enough, we need to see a style of play developed that will help us in our quest for the top. There is little evidence to suggest that Ally has a clearly plan on how he wants us to play football. You must admit, the football has been dreadful for a considerable period of time. I had not placed much focus on who should be the next manager, because it is unlikely McCoist will be dismissed, but I would go through the interview process. I think you would be surprised at the calibre of manager rangers could still attract.

what relevance has that reply to do with me celebrating rangers winning trophies?

Europes a bonus but first and foremost you need to be the best in your own land, and if we fuck the taigs and claim trophies year after year then im happy

did you miss the part where i said the Uefa cup final was one of the greatest days of my life? :clap:

The UEFA Cup run was great, but the football was brutal. The game in Bremen was bordering on traumatic. I hope I never watch rangers persist playing that way again though.

The UEFA Cup run was great, but the football was brutal. The game in Bremen was bordering on traumatic. I hope I never watch rangers persist playing that way again though.

agreed but surely those crazy moments such as 3-0 lyon, novos penalty against fiorentina, whittakers double v lisbon, surely they were worth the pain?

not forgetting half a million people in Manchester, like-minded people not a mhanky top in sight, what a fuckin joy to behold.

If you read my original post you will see I have accepted that unprecedented circumstances have impacted heavily on Ally as a manager. As harsh as it may sound, he cannot dine out on this forever. Winning is great, it is the ultimate aim in sport, but against part-timers we need more. Winning in the 4th tier is not enough, we need to see a style of play developed that will help us in our quest for the top. There is little evidence to suggest that Ally has a clearly plan on how he wants us to play football. You must admit, the football has been dreadful for a considerable period of time. I had not placed much focus on who should be the next manager, because it is unlikely McCoist will be dismissed, but I would go through the interview process. I think you would be surprised at the calibre of manager rangers could still attract.

So you accept that we have been playing not brilliant football for years, yet you now appeal to us that we need to improve our football in order to compete at that level again? Hmmmm.

Listen, we can improve how we play but we are half a dozen games into the season and we are winning, very well at home. Away form, not great, but we are only just getting started. Give it a minute. If you aren't going to back Ally then its gonna be a hell of a long few years. Best of luck to you.

The level of football has been dreadful in Scotland for a decade. While we can improve on our style of play, you cannot just implement some beautiful style and expect it to work perfectly. Maybe Ally feels with the players available to him and in his working budget, he cannot play such a style of football. Arsenal couldn't play their poofy lovely but unsuccessful football with Stoke's players could they?

To sum up, we get it, we all do, we aren't playing pretty football, it could be better, but while we are winning and achieving all we possibly can right now, wind your neck in.

And yes, if you are hyper critical of Ally, i'd expect you to have some kind of genuine solution, not vague concepts of more training and bringing in football pundits/club legends to magically transform a team containing Lee McCulloch and Kirk Broadfoot into Scotland's version of total football.

Calm it down and save this thread for when Ally loses a game. I hope you will be waiting a long time for that

I wouldnt have liked to have seen some of our present fanbase watch through the JG era.

A lot worse than anything I have seen recently.

It was poor ,very poor at times.

Infact woeful.

The type of football we where playing then almost killed us as a Club too.But we survived that period and we can survive this.For us Fans patience, and loyalty is the key.

agreed but surely those crazy moments such as 3-0 lyon, novos penalty against fiorentina, whittakers double v lisbon, surely they were worth the pain?

not forgetting half a million people in Manchester, like-minded people not a mhanky top in sight, what a fuckin joy to behold.

Oh yes, definitely. The Novo penalty in Florence was my favourite moment as a Rangers fan, I will never forget it. I think if we played every match on that run again, we would most likely get beat in the majority. We defended magnificently but we had lady luck on our side. It is not a style of play that is particular enjoyable, but I am sure Chelsea fans do not care.

Europe is not a bonus, Rangers should be in Europe every year, and not just there as a bonus, but being up there with the best. We are not some corner-shop club like say, off the top of my head...Dundee United. A club this size should be taking a leaf out of Porto's book, and playing the style of the best. We need to emphasise playing with the ball more.

So you accept that we have been playing not brilliant football for years, yet you now appeal to us that we need to improve our football in order to compete at that level again? Hmmmm.

Listen, we can improve how we play but we are half a dozen games into the season and we are winning, very well at home. Away form, not great, but we are only just getting started. Give it a minute. If you aren't going to back Ally then its gonna be a hell of a long few years. Best of luck to you.

The level of football has been dreadful in Scotland for a decade. While we can improve on our style of play, you cannot just implement some beautiful style and expect it to work perfectly. Maybe Ally feels with the players available to him and in his working budget, he cannot play such a style of football. Arsenal couldn't play their poofy lovely but unsuccessful football with Stoke's players could they?

To sum up, we get it, we all do, we aren't playing pretty football, it could be better, but while we are winning and achieving all we possibly can right now, wind your neck in.

Your points are good, I just completely disagree on almost every issue! You seem to be making the assumption that I want Ally to fail, you could not be more wrong. I want Rangers to win every match regardless of the football we play. I could not stand the style of football of Walter either, still went every week. You seem to be suggesting that playing expansive football in Scotland is impossible, it is not, and excuses will prevent Rangers and the Scottish game from flourishing. You can play exciting attacking modern football relative to your ability. I do not expect to see Broadfoot playing like Danny Alves, but I want to see us attempt to modernise. Misplaced passes, poor crosses will not be criticised by me if I can see a legitimate plan of action. You appear willing to accept mediocrity now and in the future because it has been that way for years. Well why do we not try and change it? It may be early in the campaign buy as you state Arsenal could not play 'poofy' football with Stoke players. Yet Ally has signed Kevin Kyle, which says allot unfortunately.

And yes, if you are hyper critical of Ally, i'd expect you to have some kind of genuine solution, not vague concepts of more training and bringing in football pundits/club legends to magically transform a team containing Lee McCulloch and Kirk Broadfoot into Scotland's version of total football.

Calm it down and save this thread for when Ally loses a game. I hope you will be waiting a long time for that

Your points are good, I just completely disagree on almost every issue! You seem to be making the assumption that I want Ally to fail, you could not be more wrong. I want Rangers to win every match regardless of the football we play. I could not stand the style of football under Walter either, still went every week. You seem to be suggesting that playing expansive football in Scotland is impossible, it is not, and excuses will prevent Rangers and the Scottish game from flourishing. You can play exciting attacking modern football relative to your ability. I do not expect to see Broadfoot playing like Danny Alves, but I want to see us attempt to modernise. Misplaced passes, poor crosses will not be criticised by me if I can see a legitimate plan of action. You appear willing to accept mediocrity now and in the future because it has been that way for years. Well why do we not try and change it? It may be early in the campaign buy as you state Arsenal could not play 'poofy' football with Stoke players. Yet Ally has signed Kevin Kyle, which says allot unfortunately.

Your points are good, I just completely disagree on almost every issue! You seem to be making the assumption that I want Ally to fail, you could not be more wrong. I want Rangers to win every match regardless of the football we play. I could not stand the style of football of Walter either, still went every week. You seem to be suggesting that playing expansive football in Scotland is impossible, it is not, and excuses will prevent Rangers and the Scottish game from flourishing. You can play exciting attacking modern football relative to your ability. I do not expect to see Broadfoot playing like Danny Alves, but I want to see us attempt to modernise. Misplaced passes, poor crosses will not be criticised by me if I can see a legitimate plan of action. You appear willing to accept mediocrity now and in the future because it has been that way for years. Well why do we not try and change it? It may be early in the campaign but as you state Arsenal could not play 'poofy' football with Stoke players. Yet Ally has signed Kevin Kyle, which says allot unfortunately.

Europe is not a bonus, Rangers should be in Europe every year, and not just there as a bonus, but being up there with the best. We are not some corner-shop club like say, off the top of my head...Dundee United. A club this size should be taking a leaf out of Porto's book, and playing the style of the best. We need to emphasise playing with the ball more.

surely in your years of living and supporting rangers in this shitehole of a country you will see we are hampered at every corner.

we are not in portugal we are in a backwater, talked up by our media as something it is not, Rangers are TOO big for this cesspit of hate, but unfortunately we are stuck here, it isnt a bonus your right, however we will never compete at the top because of where we are geographically positioned and with our own governing body against us every fuckin time, remember how the spl fuck us with fixtures before important euro games,

surely in your years of living and supporting rangers in this shitehole of a country you will see we are hampered at every corner.

we are not in portugal we are in a backwater, talked up by our media as something it is not, Rangers are TOO big for this cesspit of hate, but unfortunately we are stuck here, it isnt a bonus your right, however we will never compete at the top because of where we are geographically positioned and with our own governing body against us every fuckin time, remember how the spl fuck us with fixtures before important euro games,

A year ago I would have wanted Scottish football to embrace good football, now I won't do that, because I don't care about Scottish football anymore. I just think we have a real chance to do something, using our time in these lower divisions. To be fair, the boy McKay plays the ball very well, and dare I say McCabe last season looked hot. McLeod looks a prospect. Maybe we are turning a corner. I hear everything you're saying though. We are too big, and we are in a backwater; but all these factors should never hold us back.

A year ago I would have wanted Scottish football to embrace good football, now I won't do that, because I don't care about Scottish football anymore. I just think we have a real chance to do something, using our time in these lower divisions. To be fair, the boy McKay plays the ball very well, and dare I say McCabe last season looked hot. McLeod looks a prospect. Maybe we are turning a corner. I hear everything you're saying though. We are too big, and we are in a backwater; but all these factors should never hold us back.

Agreed. Although every time Mckay drifts out the game for any length of time he is hooked. Instead we should play him centrally in the number 10 role, and feed him the ball. For years, the creative players are constantly hooked for any small mistakes, while the grafters always remain, regardless of their level of performance. Its infuriating.

Your points are good, I just completely disagree on almost every issue! You seem to be making the assumption that I want Ally to fail, you could not be more wrong. I want Rangers to win every match regardless of the football we play. I could not stand the style of football of Walter either, still went every week. You seem to be suggesting that playing expansive football in Scotland is impossible, it is not, and excuses will prevent Rangers and the Scottish game from flourishing. You can play exciting attacking modern football relative to your ability. I do not expect to see Broadfoot playing like Danny Alves, but I want to see us attempt to modernise. Misplaced passes, poor crosses will not be criticised by me if I can see a legitimate plan of action. You appear willing to accept mediocrity now and in the future because it has been that way for years. Well why do we not try and change it? It may be early in the campaign buy as you state Arsenal could not play 'poofy' football with Stoke players. Yet Ally has signed Kevin Kyle, which says allot unfortunately.

Never assumed you want anyone to fail, only that such judgements are oddly timed.

I also don't suggest that you cannot play expansive football in Scotland, I'm simply pointing out you work with what you have. It's a lovely notion that if Scottish football wanted to, it could 'flourish' by just changing it up and playing exapansive football. I'd suggest that if such things were true, it would have happened already somewhere in Scotland. While there have been the odd flashes of it, I don't think its been around up here since Advocaat was around.

The fact is, you are probably right on some points. Yes, we could play better football at times. Yes, I probably have settled somewhat for mediocrity right now. Fact of the matter is, i'm not second guessing Ally just now. While he is winning games, for now, I can fully accept it. I also again have to state, he's building a new team and has only had half a dozen games, come back mid season and we'll have a proper discussion.

Overall, I can certainly take on board your point, you just started this thread the whole wrong way of going about things.

Agreed. Although every time Mckay drifts out the game for any length of time he is hooked. Instead we should play him centrally in the number 10 role, and feed him the ball. For years, the creative players are constantly hooked for any small mistakes, while the grafters always remain, regardless of their level of performance. Its infuriating.

Agreed again. We seem naive that if a player is a player on the ball, and quick, then he must be a winger. Interesting idea to play him in a bit.

Never assumed you want anyone to fail, only that such judgements are oddly timed.

I also don't suggest that you cannot play expansive football in Scotland, I'm simply pointing out you work with what you have. It's a lovely notion that if Scottish football wanted to, it could 'flourish' by just changing it up and playing exapansive football. I'd suggest that if such things were true, it would have happened already somewhere in Scotland. While there have been the odd flashes of it, I don't think its been around up here since Advocaat was around.

The fact is, you are probably right on some points. Yes, we could play better football at times. Yes, I probably have settled somewhat for mediocrity right now. Fact of the matter is, i'm not second guessing Ally just now. While he is winning games, for now, I can fully accept it. I also again have to state, he's building a new team and has only had half a dozen games, come back mid season and we'll have a proper discussion.

Overall, I can certainly take on board your point, you just started this thread the whole wrong way of going about things.

Even if Ally does fail as manager, I will not be recalling this thread. The 'told you so' angle is not really in my nature. You have made many relevant points which I take on board. Finally what was wrong with the opening post? I just posted what many are thinking, just unwilling to say. Sadly many people decided engaging in discussion was too challenging.

Even if Ally does fail as manager, I will not be recalling this thread. The 'told you so' angle is not really in my nature. You have made many relevant points which I take on board. Finally what was wrong with the opening post? I just posted what many are thinking, just unwilling to say. Sadly many people decided engaging in discussion was to challenging, and unnecessary abuse forthcoming.

I never said you would say I told you so. Frankly, I think you appear to be reading a lot into things at times that aren't actually there.

Sorry but I think the OP, while hitting on an important and somewhat pertinant point, our style of play, was littered with a lot of over the top overreactions. The whole 'i'm just saying what people aren't willing to thing' - well, I mean, if that were true then I would have imagined you would have had more support on the thread here, no? Yod do have a couple of folk at least backing your point somewhat, but there's hardly people rushing to back you, which would indicate that infact, even if people don't think it is the best brand of football ever seen, that they don't have any doubts in Ally currently (tu)

Finally, some of the points you have made laterly, as I have said, are intelligent and hit a nerve with me. I too realise that we could play better, more expansive people. So, having said that, do not play the 'woe me/can't believe people are giving me abuse' card.

You know the site. You know the passion for the manager. You know that these comments are coming off the back of a win for Rangers. If you truly weren't aware of the exact effect this thread was going to have then, frankly, you sorely lack the intelligence that I have credited you with. My guess, a little bit of faux-offence there.

Ally isn't beyond criticism but you are fully aware that giving him said criticism will evoke a backlash from many

I never said you would say I told you so. Frankly, I think you appear to be reading a lot into things at times that aren't actually there.

Sorry but I think the OP, while hitting on an important and somewhat pertinant point, our style of play, was littered with a lot of over the top overreactions. The whole 'i'm just saying what people aren't willing to thing' - well, I mean, if that were true then I would have imagined you would have had more support on the thread here, no? Yod do have a couple of folk at least backing your point somewhat, but there's hardly people rushing to back you, which would indicate that infact, even if people don't think it is the best brand of football ever seen, that they don't have any doubts in Ally currently (tu)

Finally, some of the points you have made laterly, as I have said, are intelligent and hit a nerve with me. I too realise that we could play better, more expansive people. So, having said that, do not play the 'woe me/can't believe people are giving me abuse' card.

You know the site. You know the passion for the manager. You know that these comments are coming off the back of a win for Rangers. If you truly weren't aware of the exact effect this thread was going to have then, frankly, you sorely lack the intelligence that I have credited you with. My guess, a little bit of faux-offence there.

Ally isn't beyond criticism but you are fully aware that giving him said criticism will evoke a backlash from many

Excellent post. I take on board what you say. I did expect a reaction, just a more diplomatic level of response! The abuse does not bother me greatly, it is being labelled a 'timposter' that is infuriating. Its pretty clear where my loyalties are. The original post is supported by some of the responses, with many appearing to back Ally to the hilt and the football almost appearing as a side issue. In this case there is a danger rightly or wrongly that Ally has become too powerful. That is dangerous for the club in the short and long term. I am new and will learn, but maybe i will be more measured in future.

Excellent post. I take on board what you say. I did expect a reaction, just a more diplomatic level of response! The abuse does not bother me greatly, it is being labelled a 'timposter' that is infuriating. Its pretty clear where my loyalties are. The original post is supported by some of the responses, with many appearing to back Ally to the hilt and the football almost appearing as a side issue. In this case there is a danger rightly or wrongly that Ally has become too powerful. That is dangerous for the club in the short and long term. I am new and will learn, but maybe i will be more measured in future.

Generally, posters who are looking for a reaction, as you were, aren't particularly prided, in my experience. understandably I think too. As I said previously, pick your moments. As bizarre as it may be, we won what could potentially be our toughest game of the season today. We won't play many teams better than a Falkirk, away from home. I totally get your point and I have to say, I have the same nagging fear myself about Ally. But, for me, this isn't the time for it. Hell, even if he gives us a year, takes us up, then maybe, as we are getting closer to the top division, we can start really thinking about it in more depth.

I also think though that Ally is still working under extraordinary circumstances and has guided us to an undefeated start without even having a preseason. The Ibrox games, or what i've seen of them have certainly looked promising. We just need to learn to go and play with a bit of openness and positivity away from home. Maybe we need to show a little more faith in Ally? Anyway, to bed with me. If only Super was here with me...

I honestly believe that if it wasn't for Ally that our club may not exist anymore. I will never forget the way he stood up to the rest of our enemies when they were queing up to have a kick at us when we were down. I wont be walking away from Ally.

No previous rangers manager has ever had to deal with the problems that he has. There has been no time at all to form a squad of players never mind having any pre season games to help the squad gel. We are also winning therefore I'm not really sure why we are having this debate.

How an earth am I supposed to know who will take the job? It would appear whoever I suggested would be met with the 'How do you know he will take the job?' response. You asked my opinion and I responded. Again, I have stated that I want a man to bring 21st century football to Ibrox. This can involve job interviews to find the best man. My points are reasonable and rational, some just cannot or will not accept any criticism of the club.

Criticism of the club is fair enough, criticism far too early without taking into account the situation isn't OK. As for Laudrup, why does he get time to develop but Ally doesn't? Is it maybe the case Ally was too busy keeping the club running to impose his style of football? Think he had too many other things to worry about and it was about priorities, keep the club alive, keep winning, then worry about the style.

I think that it is difficult to judge Ally as a manager so far based on the Whyte situation, admin and no pre-season. However, in football terms there have been a number of things I've been disappointed in:

Several really poor signings

Out of CL in embarrassing fashion

Out of Europa league in embarrassing fashion

Out of cup vs Falkirk's u21 team

Blew a 9/12 point league in the SPL

Constantly plays players out of position - Papac in CM for example :anguish:

Seems to shoehorn more 'experienced' players into the side

Plays big Lee in CM, when he just isn't capable in there

Plays the long ball

On the plus side, he has been a terrific ambassador for us throughout the last 2 years (and his whole career) and I am willing to give him time, provided he addresses the long ball situation which really annoys me. No sense in spending £7k a week each on Black and Shiels if we are launching it over their heads to Kevin 'it's just a job' Kyle.

I think that it is difficult to judge Ally as a manager so far based on the Whyte situation, admin and no pre-season. However, in football terms there have been a number of things I've been disappointed in:

Several really poor signings

Out of CL in embarrassing fashion

Out of Europa league in embarrassing fashion

Out of cup vs Falkirk's u21 team

Blew a 9/12 point league in the SPL

Constantly plays players out of position - Papac in CM for example :anguish:

Seems to shoehorn more 'experienced' players into the side

Plays big Lee in CM, when he just isn't capable in there

Plays the long ball

On the plus side, he has been a terrific ambassador for us throughout the last 2 years (and his whole career) and I am willing to give him time, provided he addresses the long ball situation which really annoys me. No sense in spending £7k a week each on Black and Shiels if we are launching it over their heads to Kevin 'it's just a job' Kyle.

Is there actually anyone alive who belives we are paying these guys 7k a week <cr>