Was Jim Baxter a great player?

The Widow's Son

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When we won the ECWC in 1972, Jim Baxter was 30 and serving pints in his bar at Paisley Road Toll. I saw him in the early 1960's when he was a genius - Wembley goals, losing only once to Celtic, sitting on the ball at cup finals, classic left foot - but I was in Scotland for a holiday and saw him play during his second spell and he was puffy and overweight. It's a crime that he lasted for such a short period when the likes of Paul Scholes are playing regularly in their late 30's. Surely longevity is part of being a great player and that takes dedication to fitness, diet and nae drinking. In his prime, he was a fine footballer but he was never a serious professional. He was always the first to admit that. Was he great? Hmmmm.

Probably the stupidest question ever asked on this board and will never be surpassed, what an absolute rocket right up there with the vaticana rockets. :sherlock:

I wasn't lucky enough to see Jim Baxter in his first spell at Our Club but I remember family members telling me what a supreme talent he was.

I was however lucky enough to see him when he returned and yes he was over weight but he still oozed 'pure class'.

There are players that you see in your life that no matter what age you are, they have a lasting effect on you and you NEVER forget them.

Jim Baxter

Johan Cruyff

George Best.

In this day and age of the totally over rated players, I feel honoured to have seen these three geniuses.

In answer to your somewhat dubious question; "Was Jim Baxter a great player?"...The answer is; NO,he was not a great player :craphead:

Willie Henderson was a great player....Capt. Cutlass was a great player...Ralph Brand was a great player...The wee Prime Minister was a great player....In fact Baxter's predecessor as Rangers left half; Willie Stevenson, was a great player, but James Curran Baxter was much too classy to be labelled as 'Good'.....That man could do things with a ball that mere mortals could only dream about (even when he went on a bender the night before a game)

I witnessed a riot between Rangers supporters at Broomfield one day when some fucking bampot yelled out to Baxter; "Fuck off Baxter, you're the worst player to ever play for Rangers" when we were doing it tough against Airdrie, and all hell broke loose.

The memory of watching a talent like Baxter will go with me to my grave knowing that I had the privilege of watching a genius like Jim Baxter enjoying playing football with a swagger and a cheeky grin on his face. :pipe:

I wasn't lucky enough to see Jim Baxter in his first spell at Our Club but I remember family members telling me what a supreme talent he was.

I was however lucky enough to see him when he returned and yes he was over weight but he still oozed 'pure class'.

There are players that you see in your life that no matter what age you are, they have a lasting effect on you and you NEVER forget them.

Jim Baxter

Johan Cruyff

George Best.

In this day and age of the totally over rated players, I feel honoured to have seen these three geniuses.

Being an 80's baby for me its:

LAUDRUP

GAZZA

MESSI

(in that order)

But I will always remember the likes of Jim Baxter, John Greig, Davie Cooper etc because these were the Bears my dad told me stories about :21:

I never got to see Baxter play, however, my late dad who grew up as a lad watching the likes of Tiger Shaw and Willie Woodburn used to tell me he was the best player he had ever seen play in a Rangers jersey. Gallus, elegant, sublime was how he would describe him. Sure he had a well documented problem/illness with the bevvy but that shouldn't blight the fact that in his era he was one of the best around.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and give you a straight honest answer. Baxter was the best Scottish footballer ever. Better than Denis Law or Dalglish or anybody else you can name. He was still doing his National Service when he first played for us. My old man used to seethe when he wasn't available. He could change a game with an imperceptible wiggle of his hips. He mixed easily with the likes of Puskas and famously took him to a party in Easterhouse.

He was a genuine genius who sadly preferred the bevy to making the most of his talent. He's not the first to do that.

I was there for his return in 1969 in a pre season against Spurs. When Slim Jim came on as sub the whole place went electric in a way I've never seen since. He was a genuine superstar.

100% correct.every day I go out I make a point of pinning a badge on the lapel of whatever jacket I am wearing,it states simply:

JIM BAXTER. 6. SCOTTISH LEGEND.

Thats sums sim jim up.

The greatest player I have ever witnessed and had the pleasure of watching in the flesh.

This includes pele,messi,maradonna,cruyff,beckenbauer,law,laudrup,gascoigne,moore,charlton,muller,and kerkar.enough said.

Scotland has produced some truly GREAT players (not recently) but head and shoulders above the rest was Jim Baxter

Who else would play keepy-up against England at Wembley??

Just a heads up on that game

It's on espn classic tonight at 11

In answer to your somewhat dubious question; "Was Jim Baxter a great player?"...The answer is; NO,he was not a great player :craphead:

Willie Henderson was a great player....Capt. Cutlass was a great player...Ralph Brand was a great player...The wee Prime Minister was a great player....In fact Baxter's predecessor as Rangers left half; Willie Stevenson, was a great player, but James Curran Baxter was much too classy to be labelled as 'Good'.....That man could do things with a ball that mere mortals could only dream about (even when he went on a bender the night before a game)

I witnessed a riot between Rangers supporters at Broomfiled one day when some fucking bampot yelled out to Baxter; "Fuck off Baxter, you're the worst player to ever play for Rangers" when we were doing it tough against Airdrie, and all hell broke loose.

The memory of watching a talent like Baxter will go with me to my grave knowing that I had the privilege of watching a genius like Jim Baxter enjoying playing football with a swagger and a cheeky grin on his face. :pipe:

i get nostalgic when hear these names, takes me back to the early sixties .richie shearer caldow greig mckinnon baxter henderson mcmillan miller brand wilson( rumour back then baxter left for sunderland because scot symon would not give him £75 a week)what a team to watch.

"Surely longevity is part of being a great player .............................." Could someone please post details of Baxter's career at Ibrox? Seasons played, number of appearances etc.

Why don't you ask some of your friends on Kerryfail Street? I'm sure some of the older posters can tell you how Slim Jim ripped celtic apart back in the day.