TBB Poll: Who thinks what?

Big V

516 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the Billy Boys should be sung?

• The banned original version, feck the consequences.
    • The "rebel blood" version, same meaning, non-sectarian lyric.
    • Some other version.
    • We should not sing TBB at all.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://forum.rangers...c=254887&st=140

This is a link to the other thread on this TBB topic. This will give you, on page 8 post #157, BlueNoseBabe's report on the crux of the meeting. For me, this was the important part ...

" This time we did approach official channels and they have told us that line 3 is an absolute no no in the context of the new legislation. Concerns were also raised regarding the fact we sing Billy Boys since the police believe that this glorifies the criminal Billy Fullarton. "

Now it is important that the support gets a feel for the way the law will be interpreted by the PFs, FoCUS and the police since they will be enforcing the law. This, however, is secondary for the club since these officials only tackle individuals. The important thing for the club is the way the case is put forward to the SFA and UEFA. We were completely unready for the way FARE sidestepped us the last time we had trouble and how they were able to put their case to UEFA. The committee has found out that using Fenian , and the phrase 'up to our knees in anyone's blood' will not be acceptable. I don't know about you, but the way I see it is that as long as that line is in there then UEFA are not going to change their stance on banning this song. They see it as biggoted and offensive.

The second point is that the police are saying that they see 'The Billy Boys' as being attached to a sectarian gang in the 1930's. Could have been originally, but we have to convince them that that's not who we are now. I got the feeling from the reports from BNB and JCDBigBear that the officials were not being confrontational but simply giving their views on how they have to do their jobs under a badly drafted law.

So, the onus is on us, the fans to come up with something that is acceptable to all concerned. We are in the majority but we don't make the final decisions on what is acceptable under the laws in force today. I would say that from reading the other posts, the feeling seems to be that we keep the Hullo,Hullo and we keep The Billy Boys and we keep the defiant cadence of the song that makes us unique. We also have to leave the authorities in no doubt as to who we are - today. If we can do that then UEFA are forced to look at a " new " song.

This is my contribution to the discussion, as posted in the last thread -

Hullo, Hullo,

We are the Billy Boys;

Hullo, Hullo,

You'll know us by our noise !! ... So far we've kept the galvanising part and our identity ..

We want to win this game today, ... Our intent, keeping the same cadence ... and nothing sectarian ...

Surrender and you'll die; ... Exhorting our team to greater effort ...

For we are the Rangers Billy Boys ... Leaving NO one [ police, PFs, Sheriffs, Alex Salmond ] in any doubt as to who we are.

Now surely if that was flashed on the big screens for a season then even the most die-hard among us would get the idea, as well as the SFA and UEFA.

Sorry 72 Barca but that third line is cringeworthy. Personally I think we need only change Fenian to rebel but if we are changing line I'd go for. We follow Glasgow Rangers our hearts are strong and true. Or We'll sing it like we used to sing it 50 thousand strong. Both these lines have already featured in official versions

Sorry 72 Barca but that third line is cringeworthy. Personally I think we need only change Fenian to rebel but if we are changing line I'd go for. We follow Glasgow Rangers our hearts are strong and true. Or We'll sing it like we used to sing it 50 thousand strong. Both these lines have already featured in official versions

I know, it's anaemic, but I don't care what goes in there I just want the song back. I like that 50K strong line