TBB Poll: Who thinks what?

Big V

516 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the Billy Boys should be sung?

• The banned original version, feck the consequences.
    • The "rebel blood" version, same meaning, non-sectarian lyric.
    • Some other version.
    • We should not sing TBB at all.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we need a topic on this everyday?

I've said before if the lyrics can be changed then ok. I dunno if this makes me strange and in the minority, but I'm not interested in being up to my knees in any sort of blood.

I dont think anyone sings the song and thinks "aye, im chokin for knee-deep blood", its just the words of a song.

I sang "who ate all the pies" to a fat thistle fan when i was 7 years old, had the place in stitches. At no point did i believe that man had actually ate all the pies.

Thats the problem in this country, we now have a large percentage of football fans unable or unwilling to filter the banter from the bullshit.

I dont think all aberdeen fans shag sheep, but im sure as fuck singing it to them next time theyre in town.

For what its worth, imo this will come down to the club. They banned the song, we all agreed to stop singing it and it disappeared almost overnight from Ibrox. The fans groups must consult the club or club consult the fans. We made huge strides in relationships between the supporters and the club in recent years, we should unite on this on aswell.

If it takes more letters through the doors, fine.

Many folk have got it right, the filth will whinge like fuck whatever we do. Fuck them.

When I was younger we used to make up new words to all the songs. The o'ffending line in TBB became the following:

"We're up to our knees in chips and cheese, fish suppers and a pie"

I'll get my coat <cr>

We were "...up to our knees in toast and cheese, and buckfast tonic wine..."

Oor wee five a side team had 2 tims :)

Oh, and P.S. surely the 20 odd don't sing it again voters just gave admin a hit list ?

So I am one of the 'no's' and I can asure you I am a Rangers fan.

Just because I have an opinion that does not agree with the majority then there is something dodgy? It's a forum and I am entitled to my view point.

My reason for your information is that although it is a great song I think that even if we changed the words they would eventually over time revert back to the original words and end up with fans and the club getting into bother.

watch the video from the strum graz cl game in 2000 cl theme drowned out by billy boys shows how great an atmosphere song creates mols face showed this. Bring it back but get rid of that word and Ibrox will be rocking again.

That game should have been double figures, easily. Did Al johnstone not hit the post/bar three times and albertz missed a penalty?

What we have to remember, is that due to the fact that the pc-gone-mad brigade have the powers to fine us and punish us - septic WANT us to sing it with the original lyrics!

Therefore for all the peado terrorists care, we might as well be singing septic are champions....

An alternative must be sung as similar as possible but without any way to harm ourselves in order to continue maximum effect.

Rebel blood works for me. No big changes, simple and effective.

The management retired the No12 jersey in our honour as they felt like we were the 12th man.

Well, let's give the 12th man a pair of football boots...bring back The Billy Boys. I'm sure you've all, like me, seen teams crumble and die when all 4 stands are belting it out.

C'mon Bears, let's get this done.

Happy New Year btw!

Who could liaise with the club on this?

I mean my idea would be to have a Tannoy announcement telling the supporters it would be allowed given the 'correct' lyrics we're sung - and would then say the lyrics - with a reminder not to sing a word that our enemies can use against us, or words to that effect.

In addition flyering at home games with the "correct" lyrics on - so that everyone knows what they should be singing - and on the flyer we could have a phrase saying that basically the choice is sing these lyrics or have the song stay banned.

I really feel that within a couple of games we could root out the vast majority of people singing the old lyrics, to the point where people give them funny looks if they do - make it sort of awkward to the few still trying to damage the club with sectarian lyrics.

Given a choice between not singing it at all, or singing the rebel version I am sure most would choose the latter.

Rangers fans are not stupid, everyone knows which way the wind is blowing and I am absolutely convinced that we COULD do this with a bit of effort.

I think there is merit in the 'de dum de de dum dum dum dum dum' version. If most people sang that then it's easy for the coppers to tell it's the changed lyric and leaves those who want to sing the original free to do so.

I doubt there will be any stopping some people anyway when we are back on the same pitch as that mob.

No other song stirs the blood and made the goosebumps appear as much or as often as TBB... Big European nites like Parma and PSV spring to mind..Ibrox was rockin and you could see the opposition.. Shitting It... Im torn as regards what version..voted for rebel blood.. But the wee blue devil in me would like to just go Fuck It..Fuck Them..Fuck the scottish mhedia..awex slamon and his wee rebel pygmies..and give it the full honest to goodness version..

CHANGE THE WORDS

Forgot the blood etc....... go back to the old school type version !!! What a racket we would make, and by the words below it gives a clear sound indication that the words are changed !!!!!!

Hullo Hullo.......we are the billy boys......

Hullo Hullo.........you'll know us by our noise.....

We'll do anything to see our team, at Ibrox all the way......

for we are the Brigton Derry boys

...but I'm not interested in being up to my knees in any sort of blood.

Neither is anyone else, we have sung this song for 50 years and avoided doing so.

It is simply a football song, nothing more, nothing less.

It is hated because of its power, not for its sentiments.

...but I'm not interested in being up to my knees in any sort of blood.

Neither is anyone else, we have sung this song for 50 years and avoided doing so.

It is simply a football song, nothing more, nothing less.

It is hated because of its power, not for its sentiments.