TBB Poll: Who thinks what?

Big V

516 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the Billy Boys should be sung?

• The banned original version, feck the consequences.
    • The "rebel blood" version, same meaning, non-sectarian lyric.
    • Some other version.
    • We should not sing TBB at all.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So roughly 90% of people on a Rangers forum would like to see TBB brought back in some form.

Shall we do something about this, or just grumble on about it for eternity?

Is there a way to express our wishes to Mr Green in a sensible manner?

A petition. Agree on the 'fenian friendly' lyrics and then get as many Bears as possible to sign that petition.

Let's get some action on this!

Why do we want to re-visit a song which has got us into so much trouble in the past.

At the recent home game, when the crown break into "Follow Follow", you can noticbly hear the supprt lose it's voice midway through the song because most don't know the actual words, only the "sectarian" add-on.

Singing TBB's will be exactly the same, old habits die hard (or not at all) and there will ALWAYS be those who will sing the wrong words, that will then be twisted into "ibrox sang the sectarian lyrics" and that will explode into the same old witch hunt and no matter what we say, it will be played out exactly like that.

Look at the weekend with Man Utd fans singing "It's never your fault, it's never your fault, always the victims, it's never your fault," aimed at Liverpool fans, now thier trust states that chant had nothing to do with Hillsborough and all to do with recent squabbles ... do you beleive that, I know I don't.

Who needs enemies, when we appear to be more than capable of shooting ourselves in the foot and using our own gun & ammunition to do so.

Why even have 'We should not sing TBB at all' in the poll? 7 people have voted this with no explanation - Wonder who they are? :shifty:

I voted against it.

Signing it in its original form will result in the club being hammered financially by the SFA / UEFA - fines will hurt us financially in the short term and can impact on the signing of players etc.

Regular financial penalties will result in investors deciding not to do so, or continue to do so.

A watered down version does not interest me in the slightest.

Would you rather sign about being up to our knees in rebels or fenians blood every so often and have a reduced buget when we are back in the SPL / Europe OR give ourselves more of a chance to compete at domestic and European level by signing songs about OUR football club.

I fully expect people to disagree here, but with a sensible hat on its the only smart option.

HELLO HELLO........WE ARE THE RANGERS BOYS

HELLO HELLO..........YOU'LL KNOW US BY OUR NOISE.....

WE 'LL DO EVERYTHING TO SEE OUR TEAM, AT IBROX OR AWAY

FOR WE ARE THE GLASGOW RANGERS BOYS.....

RIGHT IS THAT US SET ?? ?? IS THIS TOO RANGERS'SY FOR SOME PEOPLE, GET IT SUNG !! If we sing this, everyone will know the word change, everyone will accept the lyric change and we can put the fear of god into teams again with our chant!!!

WE 'LL DO EVERYTHING TO SEE OUR TEAM, AT IBROX, OR AWAY (except if you're SPL scum!)

RIGHT IS THAT US SET ?? ?? IS THIS TOO RANGERS'SY FOR SOME PEOPLE, GET IT SUNG !! If we sing this, everyone will know the word change, everyone will accept the lyric change and we can put the fear of god into teams again with our chant!!!

Just a wee edit. ;)

i'm all for this dunny. im pretty sure the lyrics at one point were "we're down to our knees to see our team at ibrox or away". I started a post not long ago asking why we dont just revert it back? Eventually the add-on merchants are going to get every song banned, politics is only going 1 way and pretty soon singing "surrender or you'll die" will be seen as a violent/threatening song which we cant sing (mark my words for it).

the problem was nobody liked the lyrics "down to our knees to see our team". So your version works for me, i'd maybe change 'everything' to 'anything' though, works a little better.

Cant say i like that version at all.If we change 3rd line suggest WE FOLLOW GLASGOW RANGERS OUR Hearts (SFL3 feeder club) ARE STRONG AND TRUE

Would love any variation of TBB to come back to be honest. Canny beat it when it is getting blasted out around Ibrox.

Here's another version that would still wind up the unwashed until we can get the original back.

HELLO HELLO........WE ARE THE BILLY BOYS

WE ARE THE PEOPLE, WE DON’T DO WALKING AWAY

NOW, THEN, FOREVER, THE GERS ARE HERE TO STAY

http://www.thefreesociety.org/Columnists/Tom-Miers/censorship-enters-the-terraces

Like all bad laws, rules on sectarian expression will be hard to apply. Along with super injunctions, they will make tempting targets for those who resent being told what to do by the rich and powerful, and will be teased from the safety of crowd, or the Internet, or the ambiguity of language.

What happens, for example, if you sing the Billy Boys song and replace the words ‘fenian blood’ with, say, ‘political cant’ (I know a football crowd would be far wittier)?

My understanding is that any version of the song gets Rangers fans who sing it into trouble. It will be interesting to see if the Scottish Government attempts to enshrine this in law. For as it happens a large number of English clubs’ fans have adopted the song, with words adapted to their own circumstances. So have rival fans in Scotland, with suitably ribald alternative words substituted for the originals. We seem set for a gloriously juvenile teacher-schoolboy chase around what constitutes offensive innuendo and what is innocent banter.

The dignity of the law will suffer as much as our tradition of free speech.

http://www.thefreesociety.org/Columnists/Tom-Miers/censorship-enters-the-terraces

Like all bad laws, rules on sectarian expression will be hard to apply. Along with super injunctions, they will make tempting targets for those who resent being told what to do by the rich and powerful, and will be teased from the safety of crowd, or the Internet, or the ambiguity of language.

What happens, for example, if you sing the Billy Boys song and replace the words ‘fenian blood’ with, say, ‘political cant’ (I know a football crowd would be far wittier)?

My understanding is that any version of the song gets Rangers fans who sing it into trouble. It will be interesting to see if the Scottish Government attempts to enshrine this in law. For as it happens a large number of English clubs’ fans have adopted the song, with words adapted to their own circumstances. So have rival fans in Scotland, with suitably ribald alternative words substituted for the originals. We seem set for a gloriously juvenile teacher-schoolboy chase around what constitutes offensive innuendo and what is innocent banter.

The dignity of the law will suffer as much as our tradition of free speech.

The point is while you may be right would you be prepared to test the case by being the one standing in the dock.Unfortunately that is a real risk for any Bear singing the original version and why I favour a change of word.Rebel blood is simple and keeps our song more or less intact.It retains the HULLO HULLO part which I think is the best bit and would be easy for everyone to pick up.The Bheasts would hate it just the same and nobody would get arrested for singing it

Many folk have got it right, the filth will whinge like fuck whatever we do. Fuck them.

When I was younger we used to make up new words to all the songs. The o'ffending line in TBB became the following:

"We're up to our knees in chips and cheese, fish suppers and a pie"

I'll get my coat <cr>

• 3 months later...

Many folk have got it right, the filth will whinge like fuck whatever we do. Fuck them.

When I was younger we used to make up new words to all the songs. The o'ffending line in TBB became the following:

"We're up to our knees in chips and cheese, fish suppers and a pie"

I'll get my coat <cr>

for we are the chippy Derry boys

The way I see it Celtic and their followers are dodging punishment & critisim because their songs and chants are carefully worded.

How about we wise up and respond instead of hanging ourselves and our team!?!

I'm all for the amended version idea!

singing about the ira and abusing our fallen is not carefully worded ??? the cunts just get away with it , we sing the famine song and all hell breaks out !! but the green twats can sing whatever they want because the scottish media seem to have an agenda ??? but then again i could be paranoid :hanged: