Not quite a Legend, but made the effort.

tannerall

Not really sure what makes Diouf qualify as 'almost a legend' there are the legends like Baxter, Cooper, McCoist, Greig, Laudrup, Gazza and then the greats like Albertz, Weir, Novo (for his passion) Derek Johnston, Durrant, and many many more, then the good players such as Davie Robertson, Gary Stevens, Bougherra and such but i would probably place Diouf in the headcases catagory with Hurlock, Souness (although he also fits in the greats) Muscat, Gattuso (also in the greats) ect.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wee Neil played really well for us. Very under-rated in my opinion. Cracking crosser of a ball. Brought up in a tim-supporting family and could have bottled it against that lot especially in the 3 nil League winning game at the paranoiadome. He stood out in that game and celebrated as much as any Bear at the end.

Always liked Neil as a player. It's rarely talked about now but I remember how good a player Trevor Stevens was before he went to France. Our rivals couldn't cope with him.

A Rangers "legend" who will never make the hall of fame, I give you.......

Marvin Andrews

(Will his contribution to helicopter sunday still be talked about in 50 years time ?)

Played on even though he was told by every one bar Jesus that it would damage him. We could be doing with more of his sort right now.

Alex Miller.... this fella was a Great servant for us but for whatever reason was seen by around 30-40% as not so great whereas MANY a folk saw him as a REAL STEADY player. I only caught the last several years or so of his career but my dad says sorry ... 'said' that he was a decent player and steady.... never a stand-out but real steady.

We have had many a player who did not quite make the "Legend" staus.

E.g Diouffy, Prodan, Jardel, even Gordon Ramsey.

Do you think there should be a secondary category of "Almost a Legend", and if so who would you include ?

Diouf ? Sir Walter only brought him in so he could show kean what a winners medal looks like.

Some of these suggestions are ridiculous, cult hero's maybe but never Legend's. As staetd the word legend is passed about too often these days but a player who doesn't get mentioned enough and deserves his place in Ibrox folklore for me is Rod Wallace, an absolute bargain of a buy who made an impact in a side of multi-million internationalists. Scored a few against the filth as well which is always nice.

I think that people use the word legend far too much.

Absolutely.

When I think of players genuinely worthy of legendary status - to spoken of reverentially for ever more - I think we have a very small grouping. And that's as it should be.

Men like Baxter, Greig, Cooper, Laudrup and McCoist.

But, one player who had the ability to become a genuine club legend was Marco Negri. Such a shame how it panned out.