Lee's Goal Tribute To Davie Weir (Father passed away).

LeeWallaceRFC

Lee's Goal Tribute To Weir

9434eda52ccf0ef774bf909acfb7aa43_XL.jpg

LEE McCULLOCH dedicated his goal show that took Rangers to the top of the SFL 3 table to close friend and former team mate Davie Weir.

The former Rangers captain was in the Bill Struth Main Stand today having suffered the loss of the passing of his father David, whose funeral was last Tuesday.

And when the current skipper slotted Rangers ahead in the 56th minute, McCulloch made a bee-line for the central area to celebrate the moment with his buddy.

McCulloch said: “It was good to run away towards Davie Weir in the Directors’ Box and celebrate the goal.

“It was good to look up and see his big smile. Ii wore that armband for him today.”

The captain took his tally for the season to 13 by bagging both goals in the win which means the Light Blues head the table.

He said: “After the disappointment of two weeks ago at Stirling Albion it was good to come back with a victory against the side at the top of the league.

“It was a tough game in patches but I felt we deserved the victory.

“On a personal level it’s great to now be on 13 goals. At the start of the season I couldn’t have imagined having so many this early in the season.

“I won’t be getting carried away because the most important thing is we are top of the league now and we need to stay there.

“Their goalie made some good saves in the first half and they had four at the back and sometimes two in front of them which made it difficult to get the ball in to me or Dean Shiels.

“I felt they tired a bit in the second half and we managed to cut them open at times.

“Having said that they had a couple of chances too so maybe that’s something we have to look at.

“I had a couple of shots first half and I concentrated on hitting the target but on both occasions the keepers saved them.

“I kept plugging away and when I saw Dean going down the line I thought I would go back post and thankfully the ball came to me and it was a tap-in.”

McCulloch grabbed his second goal in the final minute and again it was good anticipation.

He said: “When I saw Barrie McKay going to hit the ball I thought I would move in to see if the keeper spilled it.

“At first I thought it was going over the bar – but he hit it like Ronaldo, at least that’s what Barrie has told me! :lol: :lol:

“So I managed to follow in and I put it in the corner.”

http://rangers.co.uk...tribute-to-weir

RIP Mr Weir. Thoughts go to Davie and his family.