Mark Hateley

watty.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he got a lot of stick when he first joined, mainly because people thought he was keeping McCoist out the team. he wasnt though - Souness had been trying for years to get Hately (3rd time lucky if i remember correctly), and at the time he arrived, we had McCoist and Johnston. Hateley was a different player than those two - you had to play him with one of the others, and Souness chose Johnston. Smith chose McCoist.

He started off poorly, but Ally had bad spells as well.

Young supporters on RM seem to slag Rangers greats and big Mark gets stick for his page in the Record.

It annoys me that big Terry Butcher gets pelters for celebrating his team's win at Ibrox and thinking that we were a new club. I'd love to have seen his face after ICT won at the Girodome. Remember he got a criminal record fightingfor our cause during a scuffle with W--k McAvenney at Ibrox back in 1987 ish.

Also helicopter Sunday in 05 when those 2 goals were in. think he was celebrating a wee bit more than just his team getting 3 points

Aside from being an absolute monster in the air, his link-up play with Ally was wonderful. Comparisons with Carroll, even favourable ones, are unfair. Hateley could actually play.

They have similar styles though Mark was a lot more naturally gifted and had a better eye for goal.

They have similar styles though Mark was a lot more naturally gifted and had a better eye for goal.

Even in those respects in which Hateley might reasonably be compared to Carroll - like their supposed heading ability (Carroll's heading is insanely overrated), Hateley was vastly superior. My favourite thing about him was that a lot of his headers weren't bullets, they were guided into the net, like any other player might with his feet. He's the only player I can think of who regularly (and intentionally) lobbed keepers with headers :lol:

Even in those respects in which Hateley might reasonably be compared to Carroll - like their supposed heading ability (Carroll's heading is insanely overrated), Hateley was vastly superior. My favourite thing about him was that a lot of his headers weren't bullets, they were guided into the net, like any other player might with his feet. He's the only player I can think of who regularly (and intentionally) lobbed keepers with headers :lol:

I mind a beauty he scored against Levski Sofia at Ibrox. He curled the ball with his head! How is that possible??

I mind a beauty he scored against Levski Sofia at Ibrox. He curled the ball with his head! How is that possible??

I mostly remember that game for Ally fucking Maxwell's fumble to concede Sofia's goal late on, which cost us on away goals in the end.

I mostly remember that game for Ally fucking Maxwell's fumble to concede Sofia's goal late on, which cost us on away goals in the end.

worst team ever to put us out of Europe. by a long shot. i'm including recent disasters in that statement. they were god awful. i'm not even sure they had a natural keeper between the sticks