The Strong Arm Of The Law

billmcmurdo

The Strong Arm Of The Law

Posted on December 19, 2012by billmcmurdo

I wasn’t in the Broomloan last night so I don’t really want to comment on what happened as regards the trouble some had with the police.

According to some accounts, the police were heavy-handed, while others are allowing for them being provoked.

As I said, I wasn’t there so won’t comment.

anti-sect.jpg?w=409&h=306I do know that many Rangers fans have a beef with the police over what they feel is excessive policing, both at Ibrox and away games.

Whilst I sympathise with this, my understanding is that other teams’ fans are also receiving much the same treatment, which shows it is not an anti-Rangers situation.

Celtic supporters are also complaining of a heavy-handed approach by the police at their games.

My own take on this is that the police are being deployed by the Scottish Government to enforce the sectarian legislation brought in to cover football-related matters.

In essence, Salmond and his cronies are seeking to show that the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012 was not a monumental waste of time, energy and money. No doubt the thinking is that more intense policing will result in discoveries of anti-sectarian behaviour, thus proving it was required.

From what I can gather, the only institutions that fans are showing extreme prejudice toward are the SNP and the SFA! It is my understanding that both Rangers and Celtic fans have had anti-SNP banners removed by police.

I am very much opposed to police being used in such a political way.When the police begin to enforce the will of a political party in a manner that prevents free speech, then we are on the road to a police state.

The merging of regional police forces into one countrywide force will only expedite this.

Those tasked with upholding the law must be free from political pressures in the conduct of their duties. No-one could envy the job our police do for us but they must not be press-ganged into becoming tools of the political parties.

As I wrote in this blog the other day, Saturday’s protest in George Square over the removal of the Union Flag from Belfast City Chambers was a great example of good low-key policing.

The strong arm of the law need not be a strong-arm to be effective.

Decent people appreciate the presence of police at football matches. It would be sad if they were seen as an intimidating presence, rather than a comforting one.

It is to be hoped that the trouble at last night’s game is not repeated.

——————————————————

seems like a decent piece to me . especially the last few lines

You Musta been suicidal when Leggo was getting it tight.

Bit hyper sensitive are you not?

Well growing up surrounded by Rangers family you become quite sensitive when anyone tries to ridicule, wouldn't expect you to know anything about that though.

Find it absolutely bizarre that we have Rangers fans criticizing Rangers bloggers I despair I really do

Are we not allowed to criticise self appointed bloggers because they happen to be Rangers fans? That makes no sense whatever, are we allowed to criticise posters on forums?

Find it absolutely bizarre that we have Rangers fans criticizing Rangers bloggers I despair I really do

and yet we have rangers fans criticising other rangers posters - same thing - we are allowed different opinions - if not please let me know the list of opinions I am supposed to conform to!

You the guy that used to have that awful SNP avatar then moan Rangers fans were to political?

No, never at any time had SNP avatar.

Never at any time had a Union Flag on my avatar. Wrong guy.

No but you are the clown who had a yes vote for independence avatar and seems to enjoy picking arguments about anything Rangers.

How you wishy washy left wing sympathising fuds ever became Rangers fans is totally beyond me.