The Official *** Rangers v Elgin City (Sat 5th Jan, 3pm) *** Match thread

govanblue

I guess my problem within this argument here is that while I love watching us play great football, I love winning more. And thats not a criticism of people who want to watch great football. I understand that. I just cannot help but want to win over anything. Just now, in the majority, we are winning, so I can't bring myself to be all that angry with today

This is something we have ingrained in us as Rangers fans as do other fans of successful clubs who win trophies. Winning becomes an addiction and the top priority. At the highest level I would agree with this whole heartedly but where we are has to be taken into account. We can and should be doing more.

Performances and the development of youth should be our priority at this level to stand us in good stead when we get back to the top and help win us more supporters as we go, both young and old from here and further afield. We seem in the main to be grinding out results rather than playing with freedom and fluency and thats coming from someone who has been to every home game and 4 away games.

Well we will agree to disagree.

I sit in GF4 on the half way line which means I get to see all of our fantastic football.

Im not Ally hater in fact I hope he succeeds but from a footballing point of view we have been poor in my opinion in most games.

The lack of creativity in midfield is the real killer with Black playing sideways rather than forward and our inability to play with pace being a huge issue particularly

against weaker opposition. Ally's use of Jig or a lone striker means the ball is regularly hoofed up with no support for the knock down.

The Queens park game proves my point. The ball was played up to jig who was surrounded by 2/3 players, as a result the attack broke down.

Games are not won by wages but when you have a team of so called SPL players and Internationals against part timers the result should be 9/10 a foregone conclusion.

Again thats not being arrogant its being realistic.

From October to December, the majority of games were that. 7-0, couple of 6-2s, few 3-0s. Football simply isn't formulaic though. Sometimes, things happen that defy any real logic. I'd say, this season, the results have just about made sense. Most games won comfortably, and a few games that we've found tougher than expected.

I just think you are being rather selective. Queen's park game proves your point? The Alloa game proves mine. I'm enjoying it all anyway. Would be boring if we just strolled the league...oh, wait...

When would people say we last consistently played football that was truly 'great'?

Walter did not play 'great' football(2007-2011) however in the circumstances and the players at his disposal we were difficult to beat with an attacking threat.

Advocaat was probably the last time we were great on the eye but then we had an abundance of dutch/skillful players on show.

It's like watching the blue touch paper burn on a really big expensive looking rocket, only to have it fizzle 15 feet into the air and pop no louder than a balloon.

His running at defence is fantastic, but the wee man is firing blanks in terms of his final ball.

reminds me of wee wylde, just hope he don't turn out that way, coaching staff need to help him

This is something we have ingrained in us as Rangers fans as do other fans of successful clubs who win trophies. Winning becomes an addiction and the top priority. At the highest level I would agree with this whole heartedly but where we are has to be taken into account. We can and should be doing more.

Performances and the development of youth should be our priority at this level to stand us in good stead when we get back to the top and help win us more supporters as we go, both young and old from here and further afield. We seem in the main to be grinding out results rather than playing with freedom and fluency and thats coming from someone who has been to every home game and 4 away games.

No offence, but I find this argument odd. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely credit you for going to all the games, I don't think it qualifies one any more though than someone who has watched the games on the tele for example, cos they cannot afford to get there. Anyway, I agree winning is ingrained in us, i disagree that most games have been ground out though. We've won far more games at a canter than we have with late goals or only just winning

I don't know about Ally's capabilities in the long run, I still have my doubts, I just don't see things being that bad though that some folk are laying into him tonight

I agree, but surely we have to expect the odd dip in performance and poor result when developing our youth? Obviously when the more experienced players have an off day (like the QP game and today) we'll struggle more.

From October to December, the majority of games were that. 7-0, couple of 6-2s, few 3-0s. Football simply isn't formulaic though. Sometimes, things happen that defy any real logic. I'd say, this season, the results have just about made sense. Most games won comfortably, and a few games that we've found tougher than expected.

I just think you are being rather selective. Queen's park game proves your point? The Alloa game proves mine. I'm enjoying it all anyway. Would be boring if we just strolled the league...oh, wait...

Well lets see, Queens Park, Elgin today, Queens park at home etc etc.

The only game we strolled through which we should be doing week in/week out was the Alloa game.

Ill repeat with the players at our disposal if played in the right positions and formation we should be winning big in the 3rd division and with a bit of purpose and comfort.

From my view point most games have been sluggish and ground out mainly due to the midfield and lack of pace.

Im also enjoying things but my main headache are the Pro Ally supporters who despite a poor result will defend him by banging on about his loyalty for the club etc etc.

We should be strolling the league but doing it comfortably not playing like a team who lack cohesion.

No offence, but I find this argument odd. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely credit you for going to all the games, I don't think it qualifies one any more though than someone who has watched the games on the tele for example, cos they cannot afford to get there. Anyway, I agree winning is ingrained in us, i disagree that most games have been ground out though. We've won far more games at a canter than we have with late goals or only just winning

I don't know about Ally's capabilities in the long run, I still have my doubts, I just don't see things being that bad though that some folk are laying into him tonight

You see it does though because at the game you see so much more than you do on TV.....The whole game becomes clearer and you can see things that you dont on TV. Im not meaning that to be disrespectful to those who cant attend for whatever reason.

The problem with this ingrained mentality is that we accept poor performances as long as the result is the right one. Going to the football can then become a habit rather than an enjoyable and entertaining day out. The other issue is that we wont move forward as a club. Things arent bad in relative terms but my point is we will never have another opportunity like this again without the pressure of competing with Celtic. We are playing at a vastly reduced level to what we are used to and I believe our expectations have to change accordingly.

The only game we strolled through which we should be doing week in/week out was the Alloa game.

Ill repeat with the players at our disposal if played in the right positions and formation we should be winning big in the 3rd division and with a bit of purpose and comfort.

From my view point most games have been sluggish and ground out mainly due to the midfield and lack of pace.

Im also enjoying things but my main headache are the Pro Ally supporters who despite a poor result will defend him by banging on about his loyalty for the club etc etc.

We should be strolling the league but doing it comfortably not playing like a team who lack cohesion.

Ridiculously Pro-Ally supporters are equally as bad as ridiculously Anti-Ally folk. He's in a grey area for sure.

Oh and we are strolling the league. and c'mon, you can mention three games if you like but so can I. Hell, our first 3 league games at Ibrox this season we're as comfortable as you like. Too many folk wanting to paint today's struggle as the norm when at Ibrox this season, we've generally been very very comfortable and even in recent away games we've been pretty dominant

Ridiculously Pro-Ally supporters are equally as bad as ridiculously Anti-Ally folk. He's in a grey area for sure.

Oh and we are strolling the league. and c'mon, you can mention three games if you like but so can I. Hell, our first 3 league games at Ibrox this season we're as comfortable as you like. Too many folk wanting to paint today's struggle as the norm when at Ibrox this season, we've generally been very very comfortable and even in recent away games we've been pretty dominant

Again we will agree to disagree.

Not pretending to be some super fan but from going to nearly all home games this season I have seen no improvement, Id suggest otherwise from recent games.

The last game we were dominant with regards to both possession and attacking play was Alloa, even against 10 men today we struggled to break them down, this

has been going on since day 1 in my view.

Black Out and some creativity in midfield is a must in the summer.

You see it does though because at the game you see so much more than you do on TV.....The whole game becomes clearer and you can see things that you dont on TV. Im not meaning that to be disrespectful to those who cant attend for whatever reason.

The problem with this ingrained mentality is that we accept poor performances as long as the result is the right one. Going to the football can then become a habit rather than an enjoyable and entertaining day out. The other issue is that we wont move forward as a club. Things arent bad in relative terms but my point is we will never have another opportunity like this again without the pressure of competing with Celtic. We are playing at a vastly reduced level to what we are used to and I believe our expectations have to change accordingly.

Has to be a bit of perspective though too. Fact is, changing nearly an entire starting XI from one season to the next will have its issues. You are right, we should be using this opportunity to improve, and while i'm in no way suggesting that we are anywhere near the finished article, I think some people are often ignoring the good to focus on the bad. For example, while the wing play was poor today, I think it has been, at times, very good this season. I don't remember the last time we had two talented wingers, who will improve the more they play.

And the whole thing about being at the game, well you might see things others dont but there's no question you also miss a hell of a lot that armchair viewers will see. As much as that seems a bit like pissing over faithful supporters who go to the games every week, its unquestionably true. How often do you text your mate listening to the game on the radio or something to ask whether something was offside or who laid on that goal. Similarly, no disrespect meant, if I could, I would far rather get to more games for the atmosphere itself, I just don't think it gives you a better knowledge on how the team is playing.

We are strolling the League.

Or should I say 'shtrolling'?

Again we will agree to disagree.

Not pretending to be some super fan but from going to nearly all home games this season I have seen no improvement, Id suggest otherwise from recent games.

The last game we were dominant with regards to both possession and attacking play was Alloa, even against 10 men today we struggled to break them down, this

has been going on since day 1 in my view.

Black Out and some creativity in midfield is a must in the summer.

Well i've not been to many of the games but I have seen an improvement from our opening 3 draws away from home to comfortably shellacking teams 6-2 (twice) and generally being as comfortable as a bloke in between a pair of lovely bouncing breasts. It staggers me that people can claim there has been no progress whatsoever and leads me to believe that people have glossed over a 10 game winning streak to look merely at our last two games in which we have admittedly struggled more

Ive said this earlier, im not wanting to get on his back too much because we've been improving in recent weeks, but what did you make of his tactics an changes today?

While McCoist could have made different changes today, or played a different way, I don't think that is what cost us in the slightest. A team who'd been more careful would have won that game comfortably

Ive said this earlier, im not wanting to get on his back too much because we've been improving in recent weeks, but what did you make of his tactics an changes today?

His changes are baffling at times, I've said that a few times this season and today was no different. I think we tried to close the game out today instead of putting it beyond Elgin but that is common in football nowadays. The guy is still learning the ropes and so are some of our squad, I see no reason for some of the despondency shown in this thread.

Well i've not been to many of the games but I have seen an improvement from our opening 3 draws away from home to comfortably shellacking teams 6-2 (twice) and generally being as comfortable as a bloke in between a pair of lovely bouncing breasts. It staggers me that people can claim there has been no progress whatsoever and leads me to believe that people have glossed over a 10 game winning streak to look merely at our last two games in which we have admittedly struggled more

Im not glossing over the winning steak at all.

Great...but comes on we should be winning these games but in my view more comfortably than we are.

Im just telling it how I see it. Feel free to disagree, youve got your own opinion.

But from my view point at the games and watching the other games on TV we have played the same way since the first game of the season.

No fluidity, No Pace and an inability to break teams down through midfield.

Im not glossing over the winning steak at all.

Great...but comes on we should be winning these games but in my view more comfortably than we are.

Im just telling it how I see it. Feel free to disagree, youve got your own opinion.

But from my view point at the games and watching the other games on TV we have played the same way since the first game of the season.

No fluidity, No Pace and an inability to break teams down through midfield.

If you cannot see the difference to the Rangers side that lost at Stirling to the one that coasted through many of those games in the 10-game winning streak then i'm astounded