League restructuring - SPL 12-12-18 plan looking most likely :(

whytes3

SPL proposal for league reform gaining ground, says SFL chief

Scottish Football League chief David Longmuir admits the Scottish Premier League's proposed league structure of 12-12-18 may well transpire.

SFL and SPL clubs will meet on Tuesday to continue talks on how best to shape the game, with the SFL previously having pushed for a top flight of 16.

"It looks like the only way we can take it forward," said Longmuir.

"There is no perfect solution. We have an incongruent number and therefore it can't just be nice and symmetrical."

The 30 SFL clubs had voted unanimously on 14 November for a three-league structure of 16-10-16 for season 2014-15, the SPL providing the additional 12 clubs in a new league structure."If everybody recognises how important the different types of clubs are in Scottish football, then we are on the road to doing something positive."Scottish football needs to look after 42 professional clubs," he told BBC Radio Scotland.

"It's all about understanding that we all need each other because when players cross the line they need somebody to play against.

"If you look at what happened in the summer with Rangers [placed in Division Three following financial problems], we needed to have a structure in Scottish football that could accommodate every eventuality.

"If we can get the governance aspect right, a structure that is more dynamic, with more play-offs, and a better distribution of the wealth, then we are on to something that will stand us in good stead."

Longmuir revealed that the working group into reconstruction has met three times in the past four weeks and, if all goes well at Hampden on Tuesday, more clubs will be invited to hear the latest plans.

Separately, he highlighted First Division attendances at New Year, the lure of end-of-season play-offs and the number of up-and-coming managers as three strengths of the SFL.

He said: "On 2 January we had the 2nd, 4th and 5th biggest crowds in Scottish football.

"That included the Rangers game, 5,800 turned up at Dunfermline, good crowds are coming back to see Morton and Partick Thistle are doing well." years later

While acknowledging that he did retain doubts about the 12-12-18 format, Longmuir seems to accept that the major flaw of the SFL-favoured 16-10-16 was the drop in income clubs would suffer from fewer home matches.

The SFL looked at revamping its League Cup format to compensate for the lack of games but that looks to have been set aside as SPL clubs, Longmuir claims, come round to the idea of a more even financial distribution of money.

He argued: "The wealth in Scottish football needs to be more evenly spread so that, when clubs in the SPL drop into the second tier, that drop is not so financially difficult to manage.

"The drop between position 12 and position 13 will be a lot less dramatic than at the moment.

"That's what the SPL clubs have finally realised. They're beginning to come round to understanding that this is the best way forward.

"There has got to be a bit of give and take."

Longmuir says he has "no fears at all about returning to one league body", with the SFL and the SPL being replaced by a new single organisation.

"One league body served us well for 100 years until 1998 [the formation of the SPL]," he explained.

"We can make decisions better, have more marketing clout and do more for the game under one roof.

"We can make sure we have a pathway for youngsters to come through the game. There are a lot of positives about one league body and I'm sure the fans would agree with that."

With the Clydesdale Bank's and Irn-Bru's respective sponsorships of the SPL and SFL ending in the summer, there is a pressure for Scottish football's administrators to move speedily.

"There is still a lot of work to go," added Longmuir. "If we can get full agreement then there is no reason why we couldn't make a change before the start of next season."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannae believe they want a 12 again :( is this the one that splits intae 3 leagues?

I think so - a complete farce of an idea.

I can't see how this will improve anything about the game in Scotland or result in a better distribution of revenue to wee teams. Its simply a case of the SPL not wanting to change the top and pissing about with the bottom leagues for the sake of it.

No other league in European (or even world) football has this stupid split set up and the most successful league set ups have 2 main top leagues of around 16-18 teams yet Scotland has to try and invent some set up that it thinks will work - what a joke

We know that but when we win the league this year will we still be in the 3rd division or will we move into the 2nd the way any normal league in the world would work?

The 2nd division and 3 division would effectively be amalgamated with the top 2 teams form current division 2 joining Division 1 so we would effectively still be in the bottom league, but bottom in a 3 league set up instead of a 4 league set up

The 2nd division and 3 division would effectively be amalgamated with the top 2 teams form current division 2 joining Division 1 so we would effectively still be in the bottom league, but bottom in a 3 league set up instead of a 4 league set up

Sounds like a fucking joke to me. I don't believe these this English fanny at the SPL is getting away with this pish.

Sack the wank and get someone with a brain in!

So what there saying is the SFL clubs vote counts for fuck all?

What was the point in them voting?

The number of teams in the league doesn't matter a fuck when its the same pish served up in a slightly different format. Scottish football has many problems. The number of teams in any given division isn't one of them.

Lack of good coaching.

Lack of good facilities

Lack of interest

A failure by players and their families to educate themselves on what they should be doing to have the most succesful career possible.

Extortionate gate prices.

A generally shite product.

None of these are affected by the number of teams in the league.

Sounds like a fucking joke to me. I don't believe these this English fanny at the SPL is getting away with this pish.

Sack the wank and get someone with a brain in!

I thought the SFL had to vote for this? So what there saying is the SFL clubs vote counts for fuck all?

What was the point in them voting?

Not a chance of him going - he is Liewell's little puppet after all.

I think the SPL board have been quietly canvassing SPL chairmen to say either go our way or it's no change at all and we will keep all the money from you. Sadly, I don't think the majority of the SFL membership would have the balls to stand up to the SPL, even with us backing them.

If it does go through it would mean an end to the SPL at least in its current form as we will go back to 1 league body. My worry is that it will be a body headed up by Doncaster with the same charlatans around hi at the top table

If they do go for that 12-12, splitting into 8-8-8, what a fucking mess that will be.

Nothings wrong with trying new schemes/plans, but from the little I heard of David Longmuir today on the radio, there's still no pyramind system in this set-up, and that by far is the thing that will change our football standards.

So the SPL and the 1st division will join up with each other and the 2nd and 3rd will join with each other? Is that the way there doing it?

Nah, the SPL will stay the same. The First division and the top 8 off division 2 will Join as one. The bottom 2 off Division 2 will join the ten off division 3, with 6 more invited.

Leaving us yet again, rock bottom off Scottish football.

Nah, the SPL will stay the same. The First division and the top 8 off division 2 will Join as one. The bottom 2 off Division 2 will join the ten off division 3, with 6 more invited.

Leaving us yet again, rock bottom off Scottish football.

Surely as champions we would be in the 2nd tier?