Should Ally Just Go?

No one is disputing that. It was the disrespectful way in which it was posted as if a 17 year old canadian kid was some kind of affliction to us as a club. Said 17 year old canadian is a bluenose.

Haveyou seen the match stats from today? Short of McCoist lacing his boots up what else could he do?

Don't see how you got 'affliction' out of my post. Not intended - quite the opposite in fact. His was the telling contribution in a team that otherwise huffed and puffed to no real effect in a poor display. Stats, like all stats are just that - numbers capable of interpretion by whoever wants to interpret them. What they do not show is the lack of quality, pace, urgency, determination, sheer will to win that was not apparent to my eyes from players who are capable of so much more. Ally either does not want to see, or cannot see, that Little wide right is not effective in that position and there was no real threat from there. Persisting with it for around an hour looked to me to be a poor decision. Jig's contribution was way below par and there was Sandaza running up and down the touchline in warm up mode for a large chunck of the game and still not getting a game. Black is not at his best and has not been so for some time. Real spark only arrived in the second half when Barrie made is appearance. The number of shots off target was way too high for a professional team of that calibre. And the general 'it'll just happen' attitude that seemed to me to be prevailing rather than adjusting a team to deal with 10 men and going on to score more was a skill he did not display today. So no, I don't expect him to lace up his boots but he still takes responsibility for the tactics against 10 in a game we should have won comfortably.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he should just go. The pish we are served up week in week out is an actual disgrace! His tactics are awful weekly and today his substitutions were baffling taking off our arguably 2 best players in MacLeod and Hutton and leaving on Jig who was clearly struggling with something.

Christ.

See everyone next week

Don't see how you got 'affliction' out of my post. Not intended - quite the opposite in fact. His was the telling contribution in a team that otherwise huffed and puffed to no real effect in a poor display. Stats, like all stats are just that - numbers capable of interpretion by whoever wants to interpret them. What they do not show is the lack of quality, pace, urgency, determination, sheer will to win that was not apparent to my eyes from players who are capable of so much more. Ally either does not want to see, or cannot see, that Little wide right is not effective in that position and there was no real threat from there. Persisting with it for around an hour looked to me to be a poor decision. Jig's contribution was way below par and there was Sandaza running up and down the touchline in warm up mode for a large chunck of the game and still not getting a game. Black is not at his best and has not been so for some time. Real spark only arrived in the second half when Barrie made is appearance. The number of shots off target was way too high for a professional team of that calibre. And the general 'it'll just happen' attitude that seemed to me to be prevailing rather than adjusting a team to deal with 10 men and going on to score more was a skill he did not display today. So no, I don't expect him to lace up his boots but he still takes responsibility for the tactics against 10 in a game we should have won comfortably.

You seemed very dismissive of the fact it was a youngster who scored. We didn't need to change tactics. We were playing fine. Creating chances and firmly in control of te match. The ONE thing, and watch the game 1000000 times if it takes you that long to see it, that cost us today was our lack of composure in front of goal. 71% posession, 25 shots, 5 on target. WE never at any point today looked like we were under threat and even Elgins goal came pretty much against the run of play. If Alexander hadn't dropped the ball Elgin weren't scoring if they had played until tomorrow.

Buy this months Four Four Two. ;)

Yeah, no one play 4-4-2 anymore.... :) ........... ;)

Everyone watched Walter's tactics and decided to change to the Very familiar looking 4-5-1..... used everywhere now.... all leagues... all over the World no less..... lol.

You seemed very dismissive of the fact it was a youngster who scored. We didn't need to change tactics. We were playing fine. Creating chances and firmly in control of te match. The ONE thing, and watch the game 1000000 times if it takes you that long to see it, that cost us today was our lack of composure in front of goal. 71% posession, 25 shots, 5 on target. WE never at any point today looked like we were under threat and even Elgins goal came pretty much against the run of play. If Alexander hadn't dropped the ball Elgin weren't scoring if they had played until tomorrow.

I'm putting this as plainly as I can. It is not dismissive, was not intended to be, and I don't really see how that interpretion can sensibly be placed. I'll say it again - for the avoidance of doubt - he came on as a substitute and showed an otherwise totally ineffective team playing amateurs on a pitch as good as Ibrox how to score. There - is that plain enough for you. Now back to today's game - lack of compusure was one factor - poor tactics, selection choices, team set up, motiviation to win as opposed to an attitude of - it seemed to me in the game of - 'it'll happen' are all the primary responsibilty of the manager. He had plenty of time to react, adapt, adjust but did not do so to any real effect. And I don't need to see the game multiple times to tell me that. You may wish to look at it again and consider whether simply 'composure' was the only factor preventing a win. You might also want to note Ian Black's post on the Rangers website where he too assesses the performance as 'lackustre'. See an extract below:

But the lacklustre nature of their performances at times recently eventually caught up with them and Black knows they must kick on again.

He said: “It’s a very frustrating result for us. Having created the chances we did in the first half, we should have won.

“Their keeper had a good game but we can’t make excuses. We know we’re more capable than that.

I'm putting this as plainly as I can. It is not dismissive, was not intended to be, and I don't really see how that interpretion can sensibly be placed. I'll say it again - for the avoidance of doubt - he came on as a substitute and showed an otherwise totally ineffective team playing amateurs on a pitch as good as Ibrox how to score. There - is that plain enough for you. Now back to today's game - lack of compusure was one factor - poor tactics, selection choices, team set up, motiviation to win as opposed to an attitude of - it seemed to me in the game of - 'it'll happen' are all the primary responsibilty of the manager. He had plenty of time to react, adapt, adjust but did not do so to any real effect. And I don't need to see the game multiple times to tell me that. You may wish to look at it again and consider whether simply 'composure' was the only factor preventing a win. You might also want to note Ian Black's post on the Rangers website where he too assesses the performance as 'lackustre'. See an extract below:

But the lacklustre nature of their performances at times recently eventually caught up with them and Black knows they must kick on again.

He said: “It’s a very frustrating result for us. Having created the chances we did in the first half, we should have won.

“Their keeper had a good game but we can’t make excuses. We know we’re more capable than that.

You expect Black to come out and say 'the strikers were fucking abysmal and couldn't hit a coo on the erse with a banjo'

He talks about the number of chances we created and the fact their keeper played well. Not that they were losing the ball too easily, or were slack passing. He directly mentions that we had plenty chances and they played well. and then he adds in 'but we can't make excuses'.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with todays tactics or line up given what else was available. Yes McKay may have been more exciting to watch and could have scored but barring poor finishing and some could saves that would've been a cricket score.

You expect Black to come out and say 'the strikers were fucking abysmal and couldn't hit a coo on the erse with a banjo'

He talks about the number of chances we created and the fact their keeper played well. Not that they were losing the ball too easily, or were slack passing. He directly mentions that we had plenty chances and they played well. and then he adds in 'but we can't make excuses'.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with todays tactics or line up given what else was available. Yes McKay may have been more exciting to watch and could have scored but barring poor finishing and some could saves that would've been a cricket score.

This was billed as a near full strength Rangers squad with players coming back from injury. The pre-match talk on Rangers website was about Ally having selection problems now that players were returning. It was his choice from to set up as he did. It was not effective and it should have been from the resources he had available. Below is his own quote from the Rangers website this evening: It was apparent enough in the first half and it is an indication of insufficiently effective management that we got more and worse in the second half. What he describes (or sets out as an excuse - take you pick) has been said in as many other words already in games throughout the season. It is the manager's job to deal with this. 'No penetration' is plainer speak from Ally than my previous comments about players not doing enough to earn the right to win games like this. Whatever the stats say the attitude and underlying performance are, in my view, just as important if not more so. Today these were lacking.

"“We just didn’t play with any sort of tempo at all. We seemed to be happy passing around in front of people but didn’t have any penetration which is a problem."

And me.

25 shots I never saw them today thats for sure.

Was thinking the same, unless some of our 'crosses' went down as shots. Certainly don't think Ally should go but that was rubbish today. Only threat came down the left, probably because we've got a centre half and a striker down the right.

We did attack them fuck sake did you no go to the game or watch it?

We had Andy Little and Tempelton two attacking players. Then Sheils and McKay came on another 2 attacking players.

Still only one striker in the box to pick out with crosses. Final ball was poor, but there wasn't always a lot of options.

Maybe we need to have some new blood in the coaching...

It really is Sad watching McDowell/ Durant Even McCoist to some extent standing on the sidelines scratching their head, when PLAN A does not workout as planned.

Maybe Bring people like Davie Weir to work on the Defense, Slightly unlikely,

People with a wealth of experience at playing at the highest level in the modern times. Can only help the team progress faster!

Yesterday was a sore one.. We should have skelpt elgin aff the park.. But asking the SUPER ALLY to walk away??.. Na..he wouldve scored a hattrick yesterday but he wisnae playing.. Im as frustrated as the next BEAR.. But Ally wisnae to blame...it was the players that didnae turn up...cmon WE ARE THE PEOPLE..

I think Ally has proven, beyond all reasonable doubt, that he has exactly the right attitude and mentality to be manager of Rangers AND to take us back where we need to be.

On the field of play re team selection/formation the ability to change a team...........without throwing subs on. I think he has still to prove he has that........he has been manager and assist manager for some 5 years now.

Yesterday was a sore one.. We should have skelpt elgin aff the park.. But asking the SUPER ALLY to walk away??.. Na..he wouldve scored a hattrick yesterday but he wisnae playing.. Im as frustrated as the next BEAR.. But Ally wisnae to blame...it was the players that didnae turn up...cmon WE ARE THE PEOPLE..

Firstly the thread was not about Ally getting the boot.............was more to do with his team formations and tactics. Ally has the responsibility to motivate players to turn up as you mention..............it is his job on the sidelines to urge on his team and tweek the layout of the team as the game progresses and he as the Manager sees fit to rectify problems during the game.....and these do not always mean making a substitution, why else would you need a manager and all the coaches in the dug out.............this is one area that has really got out of hand, we even see the bus driver sitting decked out in training gear.

On the field of play re team selection/formation the ability to change a team...........without throwing subs on. I think he has still to prove he has that........he has been manager and assist manager for some 5 years now.

If his assistant manager career is going to be lumped in with his short managerial career then he should receive credit for our success in that time aswell. So, he has won 3 leagues, 5 cups and got us to a European final.

If his assistant manager career is going to be lumped in with his short managerial career then he should receive credit for our success in that time aswell. So, he has won 3 leagues, 4 cups and got us to a European final.

was thinking more along the lines when he was given the cup games to pick the players and style of play............and you noticed Walter appear near the finals of these competitions................Said ages ago his body language gives him away, when things are going well , he is out giving it, let's get moving .....yet you must have noticed when things have gone badly, he stands back and a look of , what the hell do I do and his two (yes two) assistants look as void of ideas as Ally.

was thinking more along the lines when he was given the cup games to pick the players and style of play............and you noticed Walter appear near the finals of these competitions................Said ages ago his body language gives him away, when things are going well , he is out giving it, let's get moving .....yet you must have noticed when things have gone badly, he stands back and a look of , what the hell do I do and his two (yes two) assistants look as void of ideas as Ally.

Durrant is First Team Coach.