Bring on the Good Old Rangers Boys, We'll Sing Another Song!

Ricky_

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, unfortunately it may be the view of one or more of the relevant authorities that the phrase "Billy Boys" is unacceptable, although I dearly hope that this is not the case.

I know we want to follow due process to get this right and our anthem back for good but I would be very very suprised if singing the first line (Billy Boys) would be deemed offensive or anywhere near illegal. Common sense will prevail.

I know we want to follow due process to get this right and our anthem back for good but I would be very very suprised if singing the first line (Billy Boys) would be deemed offensive or anywhere near illegal. Common sense will prevail.

I hope so! But this is Salmond's Scotland we're talking about.

Then the most offensive bit to them will be the tune.

indeed, if it comes back the toys will come otu the pram, some journos still cant help themselves but to lie through their teeth that an illegal racist song was sung at ibrox everytime they hear 4 men had a dream.

No, unfortunately it may be the view of one or more of the relevant authorities that the phrase "Billy Boys" is unacceptable, although I dearly hope that this is not the case.

The name Billy or the word Boys cannot in any way be illegal lol

Only if somebody manages to convince them of that stupid, implausible link with Billy Fullerton.

We need to put a lot of effort into proving that "Billy Boys" is a universal term for "Sons of William" and not some daft razor gang.

I cite this as my evidence...

Hillbilly

The origin of this American nickname for mountain folk in the Ozarks and in Appalachia comes from Ulster. Ulster-Scottish (The often incorrectly labeled "Scots-Irish") settlers in the hill-country of Appalachia brought their traditional music with them to the new world, and many of their songs and ballads dealt with William, Prince of Orange, who defeated the Catholic King James II of the Stuart family at the Battle of the Boyne, Ireland in 1690.

Supporters of King William were known as Orangemen and Billy Boys and their North American counterparts were soon referred to as hill-billies. It is interesting to note that a traditional song of the Glasgow Rangers football club today begins with the line, 'Hurrah! Hurrah! We are the Billy Boys!' and shares its tune with the famous American Civil War song, Marching Through Georgia.

Stories abound of American National Guard units from Southern states being met upon disembarking in Britain during the First and Second World Wars with that tune, much to their displeasure! One of these stories comes from Colonel Ward Schrantz, a noted historian and native of Carthage, Missouri ative, and veteran of the Mexican - and veteran of the mexican Border Campaign, as well as the First and Second World Wars - documented a story where the US Army's 30th Division, made up of National Guard units from Georgia, North and South Carolina and Tennessee arrived in the United Kingdom...'a waiting British band broke into welcoming American music, and the soldiery, even the 118th Field Artillery and the 105 Medical Battalion from Georgia, broke into laughter.The excellence of intent and the ignorance of the origins of the American music being equally obvious. The welcoming tune was Marching Through Georgia.'

Only if somebody manages to convince them of that stupid, implausible link with Billy Fullerton.

We need to put a lot of effort into proving that "Billy Boys" is a universal term for "Sons of William" and not some daft razor gang.

I cite this as my evidence...

even if the law enforcement in this country are stupid enough to believe that everyone is singing about some razor gang (which makes about as much sense as the ridiculous rumor surrounding penny arcade) - even then i still fail to see how that would be illegal.

even if the law enforcement in this country are stupid enough to believe that everyone is singing about some razor gang (which makes about as much sense as the ridiculous rumor surrounding penny arcade) - even then i still fail to see how that would be illegal.

Well, that would be like singing in support of some murdering terrorist organisation, which would obviously be illegal.

Oh wait... doh

Exactly, You could sing about Hitler (unless your in Germany) and it wouldnt be illegal yet some people think it's illegal to sing about a Glaswegian?

Brilliant mate, cheers, i'll be singing this version anyway!

you can also add it to your "status" - hover over my username to see it in action.

to update status, click on your username at top right of page - type something in the text box (it currently says "what's on your mind") and click update

(tu)

Easiest way is to just go in to edit your signature, then in the edit box, click the image icon, then paste in this url...

http://i47.tinypic.com/2n7nm3b.png

Er aye OK then.

Hope ya don't mind me having a wee shot of it too. :thumbup:

I think I might still get into trouble at work for whistling it this afternoon tho. :000000082:

Er aye OK then.

Hope ya don't mind me having a wee shot of it too. :thumbup:

I think I might still get into trouble at work for whistling it this afternoon tho. :000000082:

It was Ricky_ who made the image, just as it was Ricky_ who proposed the line. (tu)

I'm just better at getting in your face than Ricky_ is :)

What rumour surrounds Penny Arcade?