Bring on the Good Old Rangers Boys, We'll Sing Another Song!

Ricky_

The return of the Billy Boys has been a hot topic for some time, but even more so recently.

Suggestions have ranged from changing 1 word, to 1 line, to bringing back an old LP version of "A Goal! A Goal!".

One thing I always felt many modern day football fans were guilty of, was a lack of historical knowledge concerning many aspects of the their club, the songs they sing, and why they sing them in the first place. What % of Rangers fans who used to regularly blast out the spine tingling Billy Boys could have told you what the name of the original song was, let alone who were marching through Georgia, and why?

As our support continues to stride towards a consensus on The Billy Boys, I want to give a fresh perspective, a historical one. After all, most of the History teachers we had at our schools has probably muttered the old adage at us "history tends to repeat itself" when we asked what was the point of studying the subject in the first place.

Marching Through Georgia was written at the end of the American Civil War, when the Unionist North defeated the Rebel south, in a war that claimed over 1,000,000 lives. When president Abraham Lincoln was elected and tried to abolish slavery, the Southern states tried to break away and the rebels formed the un-recognized 'confederation'. The southern Rebels were defeated, the union remained intact and slavery was abolished.

It's a triumphant marching anthem sang by the Northern union army. Georgia was a southern rebel state, so the triumphant line "Marching through Georgia" really rubbed it to the defeated rebels.

I'm not going to go through all the original lyrics, because their are several verses, but here's the first verse & the chorus:

Verse 1

Bring the good old bugle, boys, we'll sing another song

Sing it with a spirit that will start the world along

Sing it as we used to sing it, 50,000 strong

While we were marching through Georgia.

Chorus

Hurrah! Hurrah! we bring the jubilee!

Hurrah! Hurrah! the flag that makes you free!

So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea

So, whats that got to do with us? Well we're entering a new era where the songs concerned and sometimes going back-to-basics can offer an answer in times were we struggle to agree a way forward.

I've seen many suggestions for alternative lyrics, some are beyond cringe worthy, some don't even fit the melody. It's important that Hello Hello remains a war cry, one of defiance and perhaps triumph, all which made the original Marching Through Georgia a success.

Look at the above lyrics. What jumps out at you? "Sing it as we used to sing, 50'000 strong". If you didn't know better, you would believe that line was written for us. For our fans bringing back our favourite tune, sung in our defiant number as 50'000 turned out week after week despite the bigots throwing our club into the darkest corner of British football.

I would also suggest that adapting the first verse to build atmosphere (similar to that of 'if you canny dae the bouncy.....') with a few slight lyric changes....

Verse 1

Bring the good old Rangers boys, we'll sing another song

Sing it with a spirit that will spur the Rangers on!

We'll Sing it as we used to sing it, 50,000 strong

For we are the Brigton Derry Boys

Chorus

Hullo! Hullo! we are the billy boys!

Hullo Hullo! you'll know us by our noise

x2

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it mate and one of the really good suggestions with the 50,000 line and why its relevent so it might just work and probably the best line so far. I like the build up to the billy boys but not sure if it would work as the hullo hullo part needs no introduction.

I'm no history teacher but I'm sure abolishing slavery wasn't in the plans that started the war but was defo in the plans that ended it.

The return of the Billy Boys has been a hot topic for some time, but even more so recently.

Suggestions have ranged from changing 1 word, to 1 line, to bringing back an old LP version of "A Goal! A Goal!".

One thing I always felt many modern day football fans were guilty of, was a lack of historical knowledge concerning many aspects of the their club, the songs they sing, and why they sing them in the first place. What % of Rangers fans who used to regularly blast out the spine tingling Billy Boys could have told you what the name of the original song was, let alone who were marching through Georgia, and why?

As our support continues to stride towards a consensus on The Billy Boys, I want to give a fresh perspective, a historical one. After all, most of the History teachers we had at our schools has probably muttered the old adage at us "history tends to repeat itself" when we asked what was the point of studying the subject in the first place.

Marching Through Georgia was written at the end of the American Civil War, when the Unionist North defeated the Rebel south, in a war that claimed over 1,000,000 lives. When president Abraham Lincoln was elected and tried to abolish slavery, the Southern states tried to break away and the rebels formed the un-recognized 'confederation'. The southern Rebels were defeated, the union remained intact and slavery was abolished.

It's a triumphant marching anthem sang by the Northern union army. Georgia was a southern rebel state, so the triumphant line "Marching through Georgia" really rubbed it to the defeated rebels.

I'm not going to go through all the original lyrics, because their are several verses, but here's the first verse & the chorus:

Verse 1

Chorus

So, whats that got to do with us? Well we're entering a new era where the songs concerned and sometimes going back-to-basics can offer an answer in times were we struggle to agree a way forward.

I've seen many suggestions for alternative lyrics, some are beyond cringe worthy, some don't even fit the melody. It's important that Hello Hello remains a war cry, one of defiance and perhaps triumph, all which made the original Marching Through Georgia a success.

Look at the above lyrics. What jumps out at you? "Sing it as we used to sing, 50'000 strong". If you didn't know better, you would believe that line was written for us. For our fans bringing back our favourite tune, sung in our defiant number as 50'000 turned out week after week despite the bigots throwing our club into the darkest corner of British football.

I would also suggest that adapting the first verse to build atmosphere (similar to that of 'if you canny dae the bouncy.....') with a few slight lyric changes....

Verse 1

Chorus

x2

From all the shite revised

versions of TBB, I actually really like this idea.

The trouble is that people would always try to fit in the original words somewhere.

But I really like what you did, and the lyrics are the best new version I have seen anywhere.

TOP STUFF>

Trying to sing this version in my head and can't fit that 50,000 line in.

Sounds a bit like a tongue twister to me. Drop the second "it" and hold the second sing a bit longer makes it easier for me.

We'll Sing it as we used to sing, 50,000 strong

You need to check out your American history mate.The 'Civil War' wasn't about the populist notion of freeing the slaves,although it became part of Lincoln's agenda.There was no US of A at that time,there was the manufacturing wealthy North and the Individually wealthy South(cotton growers,sugar plantations and so forth).Slavery became an issue when the North encouraged slaves to turn on their 'owners' and if they joined the Union armies,they could earn their freedom.The French backed the North while Britain backed the South.So that's twice we've lost to the Yanks :7325:

You need to check out your American history mate.The 'Civil War' wasn't about the populist notion of freeing the slaves,although it became part of Lincoln's agenda.There was no US of A at that time,there was the manufacturing wealthy North and the Individually wealthy South(cotton growers,sugar plantations and so forth).Slavery became an issue when the North encouraged slaves to turn on their 'owners' and if they joined the Union armies,they could earn their freedom.The French backed the North while Britain backed the South.So that's twice we've lost to the Yanks :7325:

Both the French and British were neutral. But both were sympathetic to the confederacy. You may be getting mixed up with the War of Independence.,

Verse 1

Chorus

Verse 1

Chorus

x2

Nice one! Get it sent to the TBB resurrection committee.

the UK actually paid a few millon to the USofA afterwards for helping the conf, much of that down to relying on the southern states for trading (cotton) - but by thh same token we also never recognised the Conf as a legit nation.

Best idea yet and if TBO & UB can get the first verse in aswell it would be amazing and of course there would be times when just the chorus would be needed!!!

yeah i can imagine the first verse being an excellent atmoshpere builder... in the same way if ye canny do the bouncy..... then everyone knows whats coming.

my personal opinion is that to get TBB up & running again, it needs to begin at BF1. They UB & BO in that section seem to be the section that start and push through songs which eventually catch on with the rest of the support.

Perhaps adding the first verse will give a new TBB's song its own identity - hopefully the penny will drop with the support that this is a new version, and not the same, banned one.

Not bad i guess, At least it would keep the pc brigade in our support happy!

If im honest singing the full song wouldnt interest alot as we live in a time where singing at the football is in short bursts and belted out rather than sung.

Not bad i guess, At least it would keep the pc brigade in our support happy!

If im honest singing the full song wouldnt interest alot as we live in a time where singing at the football is in short bursts and belted out rather than sung.

agree, it's just drab chanting now thats not a patch on the crowds of old. There was a video not so long ago doing the rounds on here of Derrys Walls being sang to the tune of Amazing Grace in a game against Bayern, i think from the 70's. Sounded amazing, ive heard BF1 attempt it a couple of times but it was pretty naff - but i guess back in the day it was being sung by men who probably sang the same tune in church or at funerals most weekends.

and let's not pish about here.....it's the Billy Boys not Marching through Georgia

change one line............if Uefa accept it !

it is changing 1 line, the verse before hand is merely a suggestion, but obviously the main focus is on changing "up to our knees in fenian blood surrender or you'll die" to "we'll sing it like we used to sing, 50'000 strong". And ofcourse UEFA will accept it provided that it's clear thats whats being sung and there is no evidence we were still singing the version they banned.