Anyone else becoming slightly disillusioned with football?

ready1873

My post wasn't really at odds with it. Every generation does have a habit of talking about how better things where when they were younger. Unless football has went downhill since it started someone has it wrong.

I have read newspaper articles from the 19th century bemoaning the state of "modern" football.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

:lol:

It seems to be a trait of human nature to always pine for the "better" times in the past.

I'm absolutely terrible for it, I'm the most wistful, yearning cunt you could ever hope to avoid, but the key is to recognise that it's usually at least partly you, and not the thing you're crying over.

I'm absolutely terrible for it, I'm the most wistful, yearning cunt you could ever hope to avoid, but the key is to recognise that it's usually at least partly you, and not the thing you're crying over.

Jamie I'm exactly the same, I'm forever moaning about the state of things these days, I often have to think back to the early 80's to remind myself just how shite things where back then too!

My interest in football is fading with each passing season unless it involves Rangers. I only watch Rangers, Scotland and the latter stages of the Champions League. Im loving golf and snooker these days so football has taken a back seat. Glad to know its not just me and lots of others feel the same.

The problem is all down to money, the likes of man city and Chelsea getting ridiculous amounts thrown at them to buy who ever they want and pay them obscene amounts of money. Too many players in the world like tevez, Anelka etc who have no loyalty and only appear to be in it for the money, guys who have the sheer brass neck to refuse to play for the club for whatever personal beef they're having with the manager, yet getting paid enough money in a week to set one of their paying supporters up for a lifetime. Shirt sales and ticket prices are an absolute farce also, in England anyway.

The thing is though, despite all this the game is so emtertaining that my interest will never fade away, I just football

yup, i feel the same. Was already a bigger fan of boxing over the last few years & now slowly becoming a bigger fan of NFL than football. Football lacks what the 2 mentioned don't. Sporting merit. Like you said, it's a commercial & capitalist nightmare, the whole set-up is shit, theres too many games, too many teams, too many competitions, and ultimately, the best teams with the best players are the ones who have the most money. Manchester City winning, sorry, buying the EPL is testament to how hollow the sport is today. Barely a single squad member would have signed for Manchester City for anything other than the millions on offer by oil rich arabs.