Green: Walter Smith says not to panic over 'unpleasant' Rangers displays

Need to look a little deeper than goals and points. The football is shite. As soon as we step up to a decent level we will be found out. We need a proper style of football. We need a manager who can get players playing as good as they can be. We need to be signing better value players. So many things wrong at the moment and it doesn't seems to improve. 80+ games and we are still talking about the same shit.

I need to look a little deeper than objective facts? Aye, OK then. I'll use your particular style of abstract bleating to criticise Ally. Good plan.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're scoring an average of 2.7 goals per game, not bad for a side with supposedly no entertainment value (tu)

Is it? A club our size and power has never been in a division playing against farmers and postmen every week. Where are your comparisons to show how good a 2.7 average is?

Farmers and postmen :lol:

Do people not know there is a recession in this country? The wide range of occupations Division 3 players supposedly have would seem to disprove that.

There was a window cleaner and roofer playing for our opponents at the weekend.

:D

Well.. Walter knows full well that The Rangers support not only expect to win.. we expect to win in style. Right now, we are winning.. but we look only marginally better than the part timers.. That, in my opinion is not acceptable for a team full of SPL-grade players on large sums.

Granted, Ally will last until we are back in the top flight and he will be judged then .. but he has 18 months max when we get there. (tu)

Lets be honest. Sir Walters teams were never easy on the eye, but he got results and won countless trophies. If Ally wins leagues and cups, who cares what style of play were playing.

The support who pay to watch the team would care how we are playing I'd assume.

The issue is some expect this to be done after 6 months.

Absolutely right, six weeks to implement a new regime, why not? Billy Davies goes back to Forest and they win two on the trot and a draw! Some people are just on the ball and have a knack for getting players to give everything. I don't see any evidence of this at the moment.

I beg to differ, During 9iar we played some tremendous stuff.

Fact. It wasn't every game, and its not so easy going into a 50/50 where the other player literally has very little to lose and has bragging rights (if he's scum) if he puts you out for a year, when you are winning both the game and the league.

I can only say, I remember when we signed our first SPHell player last year, and I laughed thinking that it maybe wasn't the easiest to convince a pro player to risk his entire career (one bad tackle from some idiot) in the countries lower league and fall into obscurity. Yet, we paid for some potential to do just that. Money talks, but careers can also be lost in a single second.

High wages, yes. Troublesome style, obviously. A long road to travel, till the day I die. But, ill wait for a free transfer window and clean preseason to complain too much for now.

WATP

There is a ridiculous expectation about the consistency that we should be seeing from the players just now. They should be a whole lot better than 3rd division players, and they patently are.

Nonetheless, young players will always be inconsistent and the more experienced players are not familiar with the pressures and expectation of playing for Rangers. It is no surprise that the most effective have been those with most experience of playing for us before, Wallace, Little, McCulloch.

We need to stick with what we have for now regardless, and watch the team take shake as the opportunities arise.

There was too much romanticism about the journey from Division 3, this is the reality, and we have to get on with it.

Results are the only thing that matters.

I'd rather win playing shite football than lose playing well. Remember the Mowbray years at the San Giro? We pissed ourselves at him saying otherwise.

Results are the only thing that matters.

I'd rather win playing shite football than lose playing well. Remember the Mowbray years at the San Giro? We pissed ourselves at him saying otherwise.

So would the vast, vast majority. If not all.

But it isn't a choice between playing well & losing, and playing poorly and winning, is it? Thats a poor arguement.

Why can you not play well and win?

Lets be honest. Sir Walters teams were never easy on the eye, but he got results and won countless trophies. If Ally wins leagues and cups, who cares what style of play were playing.

I am one of Allys biggest backers on here (named one of my sons after him ffs) but what we have here is a chance to change the footballing ethos that has existed at the club for quite a while now. I don't expect it to happen over 6 months, or even this season but if by the time we are back in the top flight we have not changed the mentality within the first team squad on how to win whilst playing attractive expansive football, then a massive opportunity will have been lost.