Liverpool to reject the Europa League

Liverpool will reject the chance to qualify for Europe through the back door after committing to a lucrative pre-season tour of the Southern Hemisphere.

Liverpool have the second best disciplinary record in the Barclays Premier League, but they are expected to qualify for the Europa League via UEFA’s Fair Play League because Arsenal, who have the best disciplinary record, are odds on to be in Europe anyway.

England are fourth in the Fair Play League behind Norway, Sweden and Finland. Three teams qualify through the league and the Premier League will discover next week whether it has a place.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...pa-League.html

Both European trophies are pityful competitions now, give me the three competitions we had 30 years ago anytime.

CL... a million games to get the same 8 teams in the QF every year....zzzzz

EL.... A trophy thats hard to qualify for and ever harder to get knocked out....zzzz

Total revamp needed!

If I was in charge of the EL, I'd make Liverpool sign something along the lines of a voluntary three-year bypass then. EL is a good competition, it should be an honour to contest it, not something you pick and choose at.

Having said, I just don't like Liverpool.

Some people letting their hatred of Liverpool effect their opinions on this. The only real advantage they gain is letting youngsters have a go in a European competition. The big clubs inbig leagues don't give a shit, and why should they. It messes up their domestic schedule and there's no serious money in it for them. I think Liverpool will be happier playing PL football on Saturdays than FC Midtjylland on Thursday night with their PL game on the Sunday.

Definite revamp needed, and chucking 64 teams in the Champions League is not the answer.

Some people letting their hatred of Liverpool effect their opinions on this. The only real advantage they gain is letting youngsters have a go in a European competition. The big clubs inbig leagues don't give a shit, and why should they. It messes up their domestic schedule and there's no serious money in it for them. I think Liverpool will be happier playing PL football on Saturdays than FC Midtjylland on Thursday night with their PL game on the Sunday.

Definite revamp needed, and chucking 64 teams in the Champions League is not the answer.

I could understand if it was something like the Intertoto or Club World Championship, but It's the second biggest European prize out there. If the PL is more important money-wise to a club like Liverpool, rather than European success, well it's no wonder the money situation in the PL is fucked up.

What I don't get is that they play all season to finish high enough in the league to qualify for europe, for them to then not give a fuck about it. What a shite existence it is for a club!

Having said that fair play to both Tottenham and Chelsea for actually having a go this year. Looking back in a few years time, their fans aren't going to remember their 5th place finish in the league but they will certainly remember a European trophy.

I don't know if their fans would be particularly pleased with that decision.

I was lucky enough to be at the Liverpool vs Zenit game this year at Anfield and it was a tremendous atmosphere; the supporters certainly didn't treat the competition with contempt. At this moment, Liverpool should be taking every opportunity they can get to play in Europe to continue giving this team their building experience on that stage.

As a Reading fan, I'd love to be in it - even if it means we'd start in the first qualifying round in late June(?). I don't know why clubs would veto the opportunity to play in Europe. Europe is an honour, not a chore. I don't care if we play TNS or Barcelona in Europe - being in Europe is all that matters.

Reading are in contention to be in Europe - if England are in the top three - especially if Liverpool and Southampton veto a place in Europe. We could be next in line. I'm holding out...

:21:

Normally you're bang on and know your stuff but I believe you're way off on this one.It's a European trophy and Liverpool should be looking to win these sort of title's as this is their current level. Yes playing on Sunday's are not ideal but there is certainly money to be made. Against Zenit this year they were just short of a full house and made about a million and half on ticket sales alone, take into account merchandise and other stuff, that's a decent amount for a single game.Disagree about the big clubs not giving a shit either, both Manchester clubs fielded strong teams, Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham picked strong teams this year.Big clubs in Spain, Italy and Germany take it seriously as well especially in the knockout stages.As for the teams who Liverpool would compete against, this season they played Anzhi, Udinese, Young Boys and Zenit. Very good ties throughout and certainly not a case of playing minnows like Midtjylland!
Thought my post might cause a storm lol, but I'll take the first bit as a compliment mate ha, and still maintain my opinion that they're better off without it and a complete revamp is needed to get the bigger teams more interested. Quite rightly, they should be more focussed on getting into that top 4 next season.We are a prime example of what it CAN mean with our 2008 UEFA Cup run. I would like it to mean a lot more to clubs with bigger finances than us. It should be an honour being in the final, but I've spoken to a Benfica fan that wants to show they can hold their own against the English big boys more than he cares about winning it. Pathetic imo. Obviously his opinion isn't spread around their whole fanbase, but it should be emotional for every single one of them to get where they are; not a quick jibe at English football.

Much though I dislike Liverpool they're 5-4 win against Deportivo Alaves in the final was one of the great games, yet they are quite happy to devalue the trophy, by only taking part when they choose.

We lost a league title because of our good run in the trophy, and Ipswich probably lost an English league title due to a similar run in 1980-81. Why should others treat it with contempt.

There should be an automatic 5 year suspension from Europe for the clubs who devalue the trophies in this way.