Leggoland or McMurdo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andypendek

More power to both of them. We need people from our own side to be running stories (as sensitively as possible, mind you - wading in with wellies on can certainly be counter productive) but at the very least we absolutely need people we know are Bears to be finding their feet and getting a feel for this kind of news gathering, since, as we know, the newspapers are (a) stuffed with Timothy and (b) going down the pan.

Talking of papers, I was having a coffee in Sainsbury's the other week waiting for Ikea to open (my social whirl is just unstoppable) and I noticed that they still have about 100 magazine titles on sale. People do want something to read while sitting about on a train or in the garden or wherever, so newspaper claims that they are being killed by e-media are bull - they are dying because they are inaccurate rubbish, written for the dense, and full of lies.

We need to counter that, and people like Bill and David are at the forefront. They are the newsy people, if you like, and will sometimes get it right and sometimes get it wrong. That's life, and constantly bitching about mistakes can only lead to you getting fed the same shite from the Record or the Sun we've been used to. Give them a chance.

Others are far more personal and don't try to weedle out news stories. I wouldn't know how to begin, in truth, and if it means sucking up to people like media types do then no thanks. On both kinds, though, if you don't like it, try it yourself. Why not?

And finally, since we're on the subject of blogs: http://andypendek.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/my-day-of-horror.html Here's some light summer reading. No great exclusives other than Scotland is a bit of a dump, which I suspect most of us knew already!

People that just pick a number and show % sign behind...............why do they do this.

probably for the same reason people pose a question in writing and then don't put a question mark at the end of the sentence.

I blame the schools!

More power to both of them. We need people from our own side to be running stories (as sensitively as possible, mind you - wading in with wellies on can certainly be counter productive) but at the very least we absolutely need people we know are Bears to be finding their feet and getting a feel for this kind of news gathering, since, as we know, the newspapers are (a) stuffed with Timothy and (b) going down the pan.

Talking of papers, I was having a coffee in Sainsbury's the other week waiting for Ikea to open (my social whirl is just unstoppable) and I noticed that they still have about 100 magazine titles on sale. People do want something to read while sitting about on a train or in the garden or wherever, so newspaper claims that they are being killed by e-media are bull - they are dying because they are inaccurate rubbish, written for the dense, and full of lies.

We need to counter that, and people like Bill and David are at the forefront. They are the newsy people, if you like, and will sometimes get it right and sometimes get it wrong. That's life, and constantly bitching about mistakes can only lead to you getting fed the same shite from the Record or the Sun we've been used to. Give them a chance.

Others are far more personal and don't try to weedle out news stories. I wouldn't know how to begin, in truth, and if it means sucking up to people like media types do then no thanks. On both kinds, though, if you don't like it, try it yourself. Why not?

And finally, since we're on the subject of blogs: http://andypendek.bl...-of-horror.html Here's some light summer reading. No great exclusives other than Scotland is a bit of a dump, which I suspect most of us knew already!

Dammm . now I will have to go and read it - despite your aweful background that makes reading hard - as I already want to defend Scotland as it is far from being a bit of a dump!

I'll be back....

I stopped reading papers months ago because of all the shite in them.

Ive stopped reading many blogs for the same reason.

Some bloggers I like because they help the club and voice their opinion mostly anonymously. Whereas there are others who are just trying to get their own fame through writing about Rangers.

And when it comes to scaremongering, theyve both accused each other of it and theyre both guilty of it.

And finally, since we're on the subject of blogs: http://andypendek.bl...-of-horror.html Here's some light summer reading. No great exclusives other than Scotland is a bit of a dump, which I suspect most of us knew already!

OK read your article - it sounds like you are stuck in some Rab. C. Nesbitt view of the world - perhaps once you get that car roadworthy again and passing its MOT you should get out and about a bit more, or at least open your eyes to the good in the world. Now most of your points (as in your article) IMHO had got fk all to do with Rangers but to follow your lead I'll shoehorn some references to the club into my reply. :pipe:

At the start of last season, as we all rolled up to Ibrox at the start of this strange era of SFL football, as I looked around the faces, many carried a look of wonderment as though they had found something new and joyous to behold in being at Ibrox, although most will have been many times before.

Unlike you I did not look to see if people were ugly or not, I did not look to see if they were dressed well or not, nor even what age they were. What I saw, what drew me in, was the communal spirit of a family, a defiant family, one determined to show its support for the institution that binds us together.

In the main these were just ordinary people, I did not care what jobs they had, how well educated they were but as people made eye contact there was an acknowledgement we were still here, still fighting and still determined to get back to where we belonged.

Craig Whyte may have felt that he could shaft us for cash, people who did not like our club may have used our troubles to try to further their own agendas (and the vultures may still be circling), but there we were; tens of thousands of Rangers supporters gathering to support our club, not in a single act of defiance but in need to show we had a common goal and purpose, a bond that was this great club.

While some demonstrated the blacker side of life during our troubled times, what I saw was the good in our support; the fans who clubbed together to try to pay some of the smaller 'OldCo' creditors, the working folks who put their cash into the RFFF (and the Red and Black scarf initiative), the families that bought season tickets, the RM posters who paid for and bought tickets for fans so that those who could not afford to go could attend games - our situation brought out the best in many people.

Now we have supporters all over the world, and they came; we have even more support around Scotland, and they came; and we have a huge support in Glasgow and they came.When I look at Scotland I dont see those who tried to kick us, every society has these shites, but I saw the people who cared, the people who responded and the togetherness we found in supporting this great club and the backbone of that support is Scottish, its the Scottish working man, our disphoria are the offspring of the Scottish working man and thats when I realise there is much to be loved and admired about Scotland and its people. For we 'Are the people'!

OK read your article - it sounds like you are stuck in some Rab. C. Nesbitt view of the world - perhaps once you get that car roadworthy again and passing its MOT you should get out and about a bit more, or at least open your eyes to the good in the world. Now most of your points (as in your article) IMHO had got fk all to do with Rangers but to follow your lead I'll shoehorn some references to the club into my reply. :pipe:

At the start of last season, as we all rolled up to Ibrox at the start of this strange era of SFL football, as I looked around the faces, many carried a look of wonderment as though they had found something new and joyous to behold in being at Ibrox, although most will have been many times before.

Unlike you I did not look to see if people were ugly or not, I did not look to see if they were dressed well or not, nor even what age they were. What I saw, what drew me in, was the communal spirit of a family, a defiant family, one determined to show its support for the institution that binds us together.

In the main these were just ordinary people, I did not care what jobs they had, how well educated they were but as people made eye contact there was an acknowledgement we were still here, still fighting and still determined to get back to where we belonged.

Craig Whyte may have felt that he could shaft us for cash, people who did not like our club may have used our troubles to try to further their own agendas (and the vultures may still be circling), but there we were; tens of thousands of Rangers supporters gathering to support our club, not in a single act of defiance but in need to show we had a common goal and purpose, a bond that was this great club.

While some demonstrated the blacker side of life during our troubled times, what I saw was the good in our support; the fans who clubbed together to try to pay some of the smaller 'OldCo' creditors, the working folks who put their cash into the RFFF (and the Red and Black scarf initiative), the families that bought season tickets, the RM posters who paid for and bought tickets for fans so that those who could not afford to go could attend games - our situation brought out the best in many people.

Now we have supporters all over the world, and they came; we have even more support around Scotland, and they came; and we have a huge support in Glasgow and they came.When I look at Scotland I dont see those who tried to kick us, every society has these shites, but I saw the people who cared, the people who responded and the togetherness we found in supporting this great club and the backbone of that support is Scottish, its the Scottish working man, our disphoria are the offspring of the Scottish working man and thats when I realise there is much to be loved and admired about Scotland and its people. For we 'Are the people'!

Everyone's a critic - personally I loved it. Andy has a writing style which reminds me of many of the great American authors. Relaxed but informative with deep insight.

As for you BP9 the length of that response shows you are hankering after a bit of blogging of your own.

Everyone's a critic - personally I loved it. Andy has a writing style which reminds me of many of the great American authors. Relaxed but informative with deep insight.

As for you BP9 the length of that response shows you are hankering after a bit of blogging of your own.

I couldnae take the critisism! Anyway I prefer it on RM where we just all agree :pipe:

20% of the time ? ;)

:lol: (if only it was as often as that!)

(besides I dont even know if my ! should be in or out of the bracket - I suspect out - but folk would spend as much time critisising my Grammar (and thus school) as they would belittling my opinions!)

Guest Andypendek

BP9 - I didn't think the point - that if you take a walk you'll see great swathes of the country 'at it' and so their whining about Rangers is nothing more than hypocrisy - was that well hidden, to be honest. Maybe it was poorly written for, despite D'Artagnan's most generous praise, I am a mere ex-shelf stacker and no Gore Vidal. I've been itching to have a go at bus drivers for ages, so the Easdales are perfect for me. But in the close season you can hardly blame bloggers for shoe-horning in stuff: Ibrox is quiet.

You'll never convince me that Scotland's strength is its people, Bluenoses or not. As a card carrying SNP man, I'm fond of Scotland, but I'm not blind to its faults. Why shouldn't postmen look clean when at their work? It's hardly asking for the earth, is it? Why shouldn't fat women desist from shouting 'get fucking aff' at their infant children in the High St and while they're at it, why shouldn't they lose a bit of weight? It's no Rab C Nesbitt mindset of mine, its the sad reality of a society which celebrates stupidity, tolerates (encourages?) obesity and is terrified to pull people up for their faults.

A mate of mine is spending the day delivering over 1,000 copies of the Yellow Pages today. I'd have thought it would have gone the way of the Dodo in this internet age, but there you are, it's still going. The last person to have this job certainly got rid of his copies; I know this because, when I was out for another walk with my youngest, we saw them, all 1,000+, cowped over the side of a country road near our house. Honest day's pay for an honest day's work?

And since Scotland's weather has just driven me inside from my gardening to look at what appears to be a tropical storm which has gone the wrong way, I refuse to withdraw my chastisement.

BP9 - I didn't think the point - that if you take a walk you'll see great swathes of the country 'at it' and so their whining about Rangers is nothing more than hypocrisy - was that well hidden, to be honest. Maybe it was poorly written for, despite D'Artagnan's most generous praise, I am a mere ex-shelf stacker and no Gore Vidal. I've been itching to have a go at bus drivers for ages, so the Easdales are perfect for me. But in the close season you can hardly blame bloggers for shoe-horning in stuff: Ibrox is quiet.

You'll never convince me that Scotland's strength is its people, Bluenoses or not. As a card carrying SNP man, I'm fond of Scotland, but I'm not blind to its faults. Why shouldn't postmen look clean when at their work? It's hardly asking for the earth, is it? Why shouldn't fat women desist from shouting 'get fucking aff' at their infant children in the High St and while they're at it, why shouldn't they lose a bit of weight? It's no Rab C Nesbitt mindset of mine, its the sad reality of a society which celebrates stupidity, tolerates (encourages?) obesity and is terrified to pull people up for their faults.

A mate of mine is spending the day delivering over 1,000 copies of the Yellow Pages today. I'd have thought it would have gone the way of the Dodo in this internet age, but there you are, it's still going. The last person to have this job certainly got rid of his copies; I know this because, when I was out for another walk with my youngest, we saw them, all 1,000+, cowped over the side of a country road near our house. Honest day's pay for an honest day's work?

And since Scotland's weather has just driven me inside from my gardening to look at what appears to be a tropical storm which has gone the wrong way, I refuse to withdraw my chastisement.

Now I will be critical.

Remove "generous" and replacing it with "deserved"

I am a Rad C. look alike so perhaps I have a kinder spirit towards those who would score less than 10 in a beauty competition - but I go hill walking, mainly in Scotland and the beauty is stunning, yes I can choose to moan about the inconsiderate idiots who drop their litter in the great wilderness, or I can just pick it up while mumbling about the bastards, or just pick it up and raise my eyes to the glory of the country.

It is the same with the people, I can look at she the fat lass yelling at her kids, or choose to see the beauty in mothers teaching their kids to swim, or fathers playing football with their kids in the park. I walk down my town, mainly litter free and with a number of hanging baskets and flower beds well maintained by the council and I can choose to critisise the gardner for taking a drink on a hot and sultry day or I can admire what he has created for me.

My postie is always well turned out, and says hello, and you do seem to have a wee bit of a downer on the posties in general but for every numpty there will be the vast majority of them that just get on and do a good job.

Its far to easy to look for the bad, and yes we seem to take an inordinate amout of pleasure in pointing out other peoples faults, that is so easy to do, but many a fat lass has given comfort to a fat lad, many a screaming mother will defend her kids like a shecat. Yep some workmen abuse the 'system' but many,many more just put in their hard days graft and earn their cash (and go to see the Rangers, just to keep this in the BD :pipe:!!). Now perhaps as a blogger you are like the mainstream press ( :pipe:), you realise that negativity will get you more hits and is easy to do, and good news does not sell (nor get blogs read) and perhaps thats why I don't do a blog - who wants to acknowledge all the good going on, who wants to be positive when its so easy to find fault, and who wants to actually stand up and say - you know what? - This is not a bad place to live!

boak !!

:pipe:

What can I say...I like the guy's style of delivery. (At least he understands the use of paragraphs BP9)

PS do you not think BP9 you have a tendency to overuse that emoticon ? I may start a campaign to have it removed - then you will be rubber ducked...