Danny Wilson and Agents' advice

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a go at the player all you want but ive said it before and I will say it again. The Danny Wilson deal for us was a great piece of business.

A 17/18 year old who had played a handful of games and had 6 months left of his contract, we sold him for £2M with another £3M in clauses. If he went on to be a success we got that £3M, if not, we got our £2M for a player that had a few good games for us and a few average games. Of course I'd rather he had went on to have a successful career but im not going to have a go at him for leaving when I reckon he could have been pushed.

Have a go at the player all you want but ive said it before and I will say it again. The Danny Wilson deal for us was a great piece of business.

A 17/18 year old who had played a handful of games and had 6 months left of his contract, we sold him for £2M with another £3M in clauses. If he went on to be a success we got that £3M, if not, we got our £2M for a player that had a few good games for us and a few average games. Of course I'd rather he had went on to have a successful career but im not going to have a go at him for leaving when I reckon he could have been pushed.

Exactly. As I said before, we used the money we got selling Wilson to buy Jelavic (Walter Smith confirmed that). If Wilson wasn't sold we might never have won 3-IN-A-ROW under Walter. I'd rather have Jelavic than Wilson and Thomson so Walter did the correct thing.

Exactly. As I said before, we used the money we got selling Wilson to buy Jelavic (Walter Smith confirmed that). If Wilson wasn't sold we might never have won 3-IN-A-ROW under Walter. I'd rather have Jelavic than Wilson and Thomson so Walter did the correct thing.

Thomson was another of those transfers that came out of nowhere and I was a little disappointed with the price as it was what we paid but when you look at the injuries he had since leaving, makes you wonder if we had our doubts about his long term fitness. As you say though, that money was put together and we got Jelavic, which was a great buy for us

Thomson was another of those transfers that came out of nowhere and I was a little disappointed with the price as it was what we paid but when you look at the injuries he had since leaving, makes you wonder if we had our doubts about his long term fitness. As you say though, that money was put together and we got Jelavic, which was a great buy for us

I remember somebody on here saying at the time that we sold him rather than give him the contract that he wanted because there were doubts about his long term fitness.

Average player who wanted to play for other clubs bar Rangers found out he was more hype than talent.

Your entitled to your opinion but I can't remember in my 47 years of attending matches a central defender at 17 years old have as much poise and matuity.

History has shown that for the most part, the only way is down after you decide to leave our great club. I can only think of a handful of players that have moved on have had any real success after leaving us.

I was sure you were wrong but in fact you are spot on.even the great Slim Jim wasnt the same player.

He didn't ask to leave, he didn't jump ship, he was sold. The club's decision to allow him to go. If they were to bring him back, I'd be happy to see him at Ibrox

True that he didn't ask to leave but he rejected a new contact so we had no other choice but to allow him to go.

Who's to say staying at Rangers would have made him a better player ? 2 years after Wilson left we ended up in the 3rd Division, would he have really continued developing into a better player playing at Rangers, under McCost of all people, in the 3rd Division ? Can't see it.

And above anything else, he saw the opportunity for a chance with a bigger club in arguably the worlds biggest league, how anyone can get pissed off at that is beyond me.

History has shown that for the most part, the only way is down after you decide to leave our great club. I can only think of a handful of players that have moved on have had any real success after leaving us.

That's because when ever someone does leave us it's to move onto the Premiership where's theres a slight difference between playing Dundee United to Man United.

We are back to the "being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse" argument.

For me the Coyles of this world are not Scottish because they chose not to be as soon as they opted to be Irish

Did Owen Coyle play for ROI? I can't remember but I thought he played for Scotland.