Existing Youth, New Signings and the end of the embargo

I've just been thinking about all these new signings we have accumulated and the enormous (ridiculous) size of our squad we have amassed over the summer, and by all accounts we're not finished spending the house keeping money just yet.

However, what occurred to me was, once the illegal transfer embargo deadline has been reached will that be the end of the youth in our team? I mean will there be a whole new look team out there with all the new signings taking the places of some of our relatively regular younger players?

Will we have seen the last of Barry McKay, Luca, Stoney etc apart from an odd game they get a wee run out?

We have enough players for three first teams now and not much sign of getting rid of any of the chaff that we still have left over from last season. Some of them will never get a game all season.

What will there be to inspire the players that play in the first few games of the season if they know they're going to be dropped as soon as the illegal transfer embargo end day comes and all the new boys replace them.

Gallagher will be the keeper at the start of the league season, probably, and for the friendlies and cup games too but as soon as the embargo ends Cammy Bell will be between the sticks.

It all just seems a bit, well, badly thought out.

I really don't think we needed to sign all the players we have done and there is definitely no need to sign any more.

Do the management and coaching(FWIW) staff actually have a plan or are we just blundering ahead into another season of mediocrity stumbling from week to week on a tide of "It'll be better when we can sign more players as we get back to the top"?

I have my doubts.

Can a first team squad consisting of 27 players with 5-7 youths supplmenting it really be considered "enormous" and "ridiculous"? Especially when the CEO has come out and stated categorically others will be leaving.

None of us can claim to know what the managers plans are. Considering the amount he relied on Macleod, McKay, Aird, Hegarty etc last season I think he'll still have a lot of the young players in his mind for the team. These are his players who have come in under his watch. No one would love for the youngsters to improve and push on as much as he would.

Can a first team squad consisting of 27 players with 5-7 youths supplmenting it really be considered "enormous" and "ridiculous"? Especially when the CEO has come out and stated categorically others will be leaving.

None of us can claim to know what the managers plans are. Considering the amount he relied on Macleod, McKay, Aird, Hegarty etc last season I think he'll still have a lot of the young players in his mind for the team. These are his players who have come in under his watch. No one would love for the youngsters to improve and push on as much as he would.

He told you this over a glass of the pink stuff did he?

I think we have to step back and look at last season, especially after Christmas. I am very much if the opinion some of the youngsters were suffering mental burnout. Ideally kids would be introduced gradually but certainly in the case of mckay they were relied upon too much due to our circumstances. I think we will see a better quality of player if they are allowed to adapt to the first team slower helped buy many experienced players

Stoney played a handful of minutes last season. I fully expect to see Hegarty, Crawford, McKay, Aird & McLeod remain part of the first team. I also think Gasparotto will see much more game time.

Ally gave a couple 16/17 year olds their debuts last season. Don't see why anyone would assume he'll now ignore them completely.

I think we have to step back and look at last season, especially after Christmas. I am very much if the opinion some of the youngsters were suffering mental burnout. Ideally kids would be introduced gradually but certainly in the case of mckay they were relied upon too much due to our circumstances. I think we will see a better quality of player if they are allowed to adapt to the first team slower helped buy many experienced players

I hope that's what happens but I think for young players the best thing is playing games look at McKay he started last season playing really well and was the eye catching performer those early weeks even more than Macleod. Then Ally dropped him and used him as a impact sub and his confidence plummeted wheras Macleod went from strength to strength getting regular starts until his injury. I hope we have a healthy balance between youth and experience but m just not sure that's how it will actually be.

I hope that's what happens but I think for young players the best thing is playing games look at McKay he started last season playing really well and was the eye catching performer those early weeks even more than Macleod. Then Ally dropped him and used him as a impact sub and his confidence plummeted wheras Macleod went from strength to strength getting regular starts until his injury. I hope we have a healthy balance between youth and experience but m just not sure that's how it will actually be.

You can look at the comparison between Macleod and McKay in two ways.

I see it as Lewis stayed in the team because he consistently put in good performances where as Barrie was very hit or miss hence why he ended up on the bench more often.

Bear in mind we're playing the scottish third tier.

Bear in mind we're playing the scottish third tier.

Wow. Thanks for reminding me. doh

In a 40+ game season I don't think it's too enormous or ridiculous. Also it doesn't worry me too much considering the CEO's recent comments.

There's two ways to look at it.

Forced or not any manager would love to see his youth players improve and merit starting in the team.

So explain to me why Ally had never up until last year even thought of youth................oops he had no money and now using your in re Ally and his thinking , do you see the young lads playing, sitting on the bench or the stands.............what chance for the younger ones who didn't look out of place at the end of last season?

You can look at the comparison between Macleod and McKay in two ways.

I see it as Lewis stayed in the team because he consistently put in good performances where as Barrie was very hit or miss hence why he ended up on the bench more often.

You could also say Lewis got most games in his proper position whereas Barrie who is a striker by trade was mostly used out wide a position which breeds inconsistency from even some of the best wingers. All I really mean is that these young lads must have thought Christmas had come early a year ago with the chance they had to become Rangers first teamers and most thrived with that chance and I don't want to see it taken from them by our insistance that experience trumps youth every time.

So explain to me why Ally had never up until last year even thought of youth................oops he had no money and now using your in re Ally and his thinking , do you see the young lads playing, sitting on the bench or the stands.............what chance for the younger ones who didn't look out of place at the end of last season?

Did you think he should have blooded a load of youth in the spl?

The ones who show the ability and determination to improve will get games.

Ally is still building his team and it will contain youth and experience. Some would say that's a good balance.

I agree, a first team squad competing in division 2, and 2 cups, should only have 2 players for every position max. That makes 22, and with some players (smith, foster, daly, mcculloch) playing in numerous positions, that makes the need for 27 players even more unbelievable.

I fully expect mccoist to get shot of a further 2 or 3 from Perry, Fuare, Hutton, Shiels, and Black. With a few of the younger players going out on loan to get some game time.

Did you think he should have blooded a load of youth in the spl?

The ones who show the ability and determination to improve will get games.

Ally is still building his team and it will contain youth and experience. Some would say that's a good balance.

Everyone would say in football that's the balance to go for, but if you have a Manager that lacks the skills required then ..................failure.

You could also say Lewis got most games in his proper position whereas Barrie who is a striker by trade was mostly used out wide a position which breeds inconsistency from even some of the best wingers. All I really mean is that these young lads must have thought Christmas had come early a year ago with the chance they had to become Rangers first teamers and most thrived with that chance and I don't want to see it taken from them by our insistance that experience trumps youth every time.

Lewis played LM and AM aswell to get him in the team because of his consistent performances. If Barrie had put in consistent performances he may have got chances up front. Saying that Barrie had some very good performances out wide, but to blame his inconsistencies because he was out wide I don't agree with.

I can see a blend of experience and youth in our squad, forced or not, and I don't see an attitude of experience triumphs youth.

Lewis played LM and AM aswell to get him in the team because of his consistent performances. If Barrie had put in consistent performances he may have got chances up front. Saying that Barrie had some very good performances out wide, but to blame his inconsistencies because he was out wide I don't agree with.

I can see a blend of experience and youth in our squad, forced or not, and I don't see an attitude of experience triumphs youth.

Agree to disagree then re McKay/Macleod but as for a mix of youth and experience I believe with a big squad and the level of football we face that squad rotation is a good way to go, ensuring players get games fairly regularly and we balance out the problem of burning young players out with making sure they aren't getting frustrated sitting on the sidelines for too long. We will win this league by a mile hopefully even more emphatically than last season so we can afford to blood even more youngsters.