Jig - " I might not even start"

The bare truth

By GARETH LAW

Published: 1 minutes ago

HE led from the front and back as Rangers took their first steps on the road to revival.

But for the first time in ages Lee McCulloch has a fight on his hands just to start a game at Ibrox.

Veteran Jig, 35, became gaffer Ally McCoist’s go-to man last term, after opting to stay despite relegation to the Third Division.

Gers’ Player of the Year netted 25 times even though he played as a central defender for several games.

New arrivals Jon Daly and Nicky Clark showed signs of just how potent their partnership could be in the second half of the 2-0 win over Brora.

McCoist is also looking to strengthen his backline, meaning McCulloch is sweating on a starting place when the new faces register on September 1.

Jig said: “I don’t think anyone is guaranteed a place in this side and certainly not me. I will be expected to fight for mine.

“I’m not expecting to start games, I will need to go and prove in pre-season I am worthy of starting games. If I am not in the team then I will just need to try and get in it.

“I’m no different to anyone else. But that is also the good thing about bringing new players in. There is a freshness, but it is also giving everyone a wee gee up to remind you have got to do well.

“We have got a really big squad now. It is all about trying to keep your place in the team if you get one.”

The feeling around Gers has been that McCulloch and former Dundee United star Daly won’t be the first choice strike pair.

But McCulloch added: “We could play together, but that is not my call. It is up to the gaffer and what he wants to do.

“I would say myself and Jon are similar type of players. We will need to wait and see what happens.

“If we play together or if it’s one or the other that is just the way it is at a big club.

“But I will also play wherever I’m asked to. If it is up front of at the back I will just give it my best shot for the gaffer and the rest of the boys.”

McCulloch chose not to walk away from Ibrox as other high profile stars quit Gers as they plunged into liquidation.

The pre-season he’s been involved in this year has been night and day compared to the turmoil and sparse squad he found himself part of back then.

Gers’ Highland training camp in Brora has allowed the new faces to bed themselves in on and off the park ahead of this week’s matches at Elgin and Bristol City, and next week’s trip to Germany.

Skipper McCulloch said: “Training at Murray Park was hard but good, and everyone has been getting on really well.

“Now we are all staying together in wee apartments up here. There are a few of us in each one and that’s bringing the team spirit together too.

“I’ve got Ian Black and and Lee Wallace in with me. Blackie wakes me up in the morning with a cup of coffee.

“I tell him ‘Two sugars’, before I go to bed at night. Blackie is very well trained!”

Kid Lewis Macleod grabbed a double in the 2-0 friendly win over Brora, and looked back to his best after being crocked last season.

Jig reckons it won’t be long before clubs are sniffing around the 19-year-old midfield star — but he hopes Gers can fend them off.

McCulloch added: “The wee man missed the tail end of last season which was unlucky for him, but you can see he’s come back and his fitness levels are through the roof.

“If he can add goals to his game then it is just a case of hoping we can keep hold of him when the big guns come to get him.

“Lewis plays football at a different level to most.”

McCulloch was allowed to return to pre-season a week later than his team-mates so he could finish part of his coaching badges.

He said: “Hopefully I have got enough time to get it back. I felt alright against Brora, I just did not have any real clear cut chances.

“But that will come. As for the rest of the boys their fitness levels are sky high just now. That can only be good for us.

“We have got six games left of pre-season so there is plenty of time to set us up for the first game.

“There is a totally different atmosphere to this time last year at Rangers. But that is in the past now. After winning the league last year we have got to put that behind us and look forward to this season.”

After leading Gers to the Third Division title, McCulloch put his feet up and saw former side Wigan stun Manchester City to lift the FA Cup — only to then drop out of the Premier League.

Jig added: “I’m still in touch with a few of the boys on the Wigan staff.

“Winning the Cup was a brilliant achievement for Wigan. It is just a pity they went down to the Championship.

“I was away on holiday but I watched the final. Having another two games to save your season after that was hard for them though.

“I don’t know if they would have traded the FA Cup to stay in the Premier League. But it was still an amazing achievement to win the Cup though.”

McCulloch was speaking as Gers’ season ticket renewals smashed through the 30,000 mark.

The public sale starts today with prices in the family section £258 for adults and £65 for kids. Elsewhere prices start at £281 for adults, £190 for concessions and £68 for kids.

More information at rangers.co.uk, the Rangers Ticket Centre or on 0871 702 1972.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision2/5004016/Hero-Jig-I-might-not-even-start-at-Rangers.html#ixzz2YUxS6lIP

Regardless of whether he is a star this season, Super Lee McCulloch has proven his loyalty and commitment to Rangers, and is one of the few from his era who can truly call Rangers his club and himself a Rangers man. Lee McCulloch is and will be a Rangers legend, Ill tell my daughter and grandchildren of him like my dad and granda told me about John Greig and Jim Baxter and Willie Woodburn. Ill be forever grateful to big Jig, a man truly worthy of his captaincy and the respect of every Rangers fan and will always have his place at Ibrox. Hopefully he'll be one of the legends in attendence at the big anniversary games like the 140th this season, and for the 150th and so on when im an old man there with my grandkids. Legend!

Put my hat on Jig starting the season in the first 11, and in my opinion deservedly so he will cruise this season but may find it a wee bit trickier next year in div1.

Some players deserve to make that decision themselves, Jig is one for me. People who say there is no room for sentiment in football are talking pish I'm afraid, whether its a Sanchis at Madrid, Valeron at Depo etc.some players, even though past their best deserve to call time on their own career - Jig fits in to that category for me and I really couldn't give a toss if that upsets people unless he starts costing us games - it's all about loyalty and its called payback, Jig will know when he needs to call it quits,.

Put my hat on Jig starting the season in the first 11, and in my opinion deservedly so he will cruise this season but may find it a wee bit trickier next year in div1.

Some players deserve to make that decision themselves, Jig is one for me. People who say there is no room for sentiment in football are talking pish I'm afraid, whether its a Sanchis at Madrid, Valeron at Depo etc.some players, even though past their best deserve to call time on their own career - Jig fits in to that category for me and I really couldn't give a toss if that upsets people unless he starts costing us games - it's all about loyalty and its called payback, Jig will know when he needs to call it quits,.

So he could be slow and poor this season, but because of loyalty he should be starting?

Hi Ally, hows tricks? Still pumping Sue Barker?

I hope he gets a fair 'crack of the whip'. I hold the man in high respect for the manner in which he has conducted himself since our descent into administration. One thing is certain - he will fight - and fight some more - to retain his place in the team

I'd hope Jig doesnt start for us. I have nothing but admiration for the man for staying when he could have walked (although where he would have went on comparable wages isn't clear), for his leadership through tough times and just for generally being an all round legend, but i'd like to see Little and Clark up front next season.

I'd hope Jig doesnt start for us. I have nothing but admiration for the man for staying when he could have walked (although where he would have went on comparable wages isn't clear), for his leadership through tough times and just for generally being an all round legend, but i'd like to see Little and Clark up front next season.

That's an unfair dig to have at him is it not?

That's an unfair dig to have at him is it not?

It may seem unfair but it's true. What teams would have shown a clear interest in paying Jig £16-18k a week?

I'll state again - Jig is a legend for his actions and words during the recent chaos at our club. Just making this clear in case anyone thinks i have something against the man. I was singing his praises years ago when he was a target for the boo boys, people who have now thankfully been silenced. But for footballing reasons I think everyone can agree he shouldn't start, and certainly not up front or in midfield.

It may seem unfair but it's true. What teams would have shown a clear interest in paying Jig £16-18k a week?

I'll state again - Jig is a legend for his actions and words during the recent chaos at our club. Just making this clear in case anyone thinks i have something against the man. I was singing his praises years ago when he was a target for the boo boys, people who have now thankfully been silenced. But for footballing reasons I think everyone can agree he shouldn't start, and certainly not up front or in midfield.

£16-18k a week? Are you crazy? :lol:

No where else would he get a fraction of the wages we pay him; similar to Alexander at the time they knew which side their bread was buttered; only they know if loyalty was a factor.I would suggest money and the need to maximise what could be earned in a short career would be paramount like every other player.Certainly would be easy to be "loyal" given their wages,age and lack of options.

So he could be slow and poor this season, but because of loyalty he should be starting?

Hi Ally, hows tricks? Still pumping Sue Barker?

Fair enough, I know it's not the way of the cut throat modern world but there is always a place for sentiment in football. More often than many imagine it works as a source of positivity having a Legend around the place, last season showed that with Jig leading the way in many respects.

Maybe my idea of Loyalty differs from yours bud, nice attempt at humour though with the Sue reference and what have you, very original.

Tell me, bought tickets for any SPL stadia recently?

Fair enough, I know it's not the way of the cut throat modern world but there is always a place for sentiment in football. More often than many imagine it works as a source of positivity having a Legend around the place, last season showed that with Jig leading the way in many respects.

Maybe my idea of Loyalty differs from yours bud, nice attempt at humour though with the Sue reference and what have you, very original.

Tell me, bought tickets for any SPL stadia recently?

Nah, probably next season if we get any in the cup. (tu)