McCoist: things are looking up now we've settled on 4-1-3-2 formation

Rangers boss Ally McCoist says the Ibrox men are shaping up well for the new campaign after finally finding a formation that suits his players.

The Light Blues manager has road-tested a 4-1-3-2 system during the club's pre-season tour of the Highlands and England.

A traditional 4-4-2 set-up has also been utilised during wins over Brora Rangers, Elgin and Bristol City but McCoist believes the use of a holding midfielder and three attack-minded players behind the strikers has offered the most encouraging signs for the season ahead.

He hailed the impact the tactical tweak has had on the performances of 19-year-old playmaker Lewis Macleod and admitted he hopes he has found the system that will avoid the repeats of last season's sloppy showings.

McCoist told Rangers' official website: "The 4-1-3-2 shape we've used is one the players look really happy with. Lewis is someone who certainly looks happy with it.

"It gives him an opportunity to get forward and obviously he has to defend too but the three boys in front of the holding midfielder do have more of a free role to go and attack.

"We've played the system and we've certainly looked sharper and brighter in an attacking sense, there's no doubt about that.

"I think it's important you can adapt and change depending on the opposition and also to suit your own personnel as well.

"I am a believer that if we can get a formation and shape that suits us, we would try to stick to it as much as possible and be comfortable with it.

"At the same time, 4-4-2 is a formation everyone knows well and in recent years we've had a lot of success as a team using it.

"It's vital to have players who are capable of changing and ready to do that though if the circumstances require it."

http://www.heraldsco...ion.1374064118?

It's the very same system employed by PLG during his short tenure. It worked very well in our UEFA Cup run that season, Rangers enjoyed more possession, particularly away from home during the run. I wonder as to the effectiveness of the system when playing Stenhousemuir at Ibrox?

Hopefully we play the proper players in the correct positions.

I'm all for it as long as we play people like Templeton, Little, MacLeod, Law, Shiels, McKay, Aird... further forward and not play someone like Steven Smith on the left hand side of midfileld.

Nice to see

And nice of ally to see the system we played last yr was killing us at times and he's scrapped it

This looks a good formation as we have great mobility in guys like Law , McLeod & Templeton playing in the holes in front of the sitting midfielder

- Bell -

- Foster - Pandza - McCulloch* - Wallace -

- Peralta -

- McLeod - Law - Templeton -

- Clark - Daily -

*He's the captain and I can't see Ally dropping him (even though he wouldn't be my first choice..

No Tunisian ?

It's the very same system employed by PLG during his short tenure. It worked very well in our UEFA Cup run that season, Rangers enjoyed more possession, particularly away from home during the run. I wonder as to the effectiveness of the system when playing Stenhousemuir at Ibrox?

was it not a 4-2-3-1?

I'll tell you, the first 3 games that season we were banging in the shots and I thought we'd run riot over teams. Shows how wrong you can be!

Nice to see

And nice of ally to see the system we played last yr was killing us at times and he's scrapped it

This looks a good formation as we have great mobility in guys like Law , McLeod & Templeton playing in the holes in front of the sitting midfielder

Last year I think was just about getting by, I know most wont like to hear that but now we kick on. Ally has no excuses tho. Mather has backed him, he's had the players he wanted to delivered and now it's his rangers team. He's got to kick on from here

I always pictured shiels playing a much bigger part this season and would thrive in that formation but I just cant think who hed play infront of . Id be happy with that team . With hutton / black coming in if peralta doesnt work out . Good options this year middle and front and if we get pandza and mohsni in id be more than happy with our squad

PLG played 4-2-3-1 with Prso as the loan striker.

Hopefuly the change in formation will allow us more possession and therfore dictate the games this season.

A formation that is played by every team from U12s - First team should be adopted allowing us continuity, with players being able to step up and feel comfortable in their natural position when required.

Last year I think was just about getting by, I know most wont like to hear that but now we kick on. Ally has no excuses tho. Mather has backed him, he's had the players he wanted to delivered and now it's his rangers team. He's got to kick on from here

your possibly right mate

It's about kicking on from now with a new system and hopefully performance levels improve as we go on

Oh yeah, completely forgot about him there. :D

Still think Jig will be played somewhere, maybe instead of Peralta.

The good thing is we have options available

We have Hutton , Peralta and McCulloch who can all play the sitting role

I'm sure Moshni is capable there also

was it not a 4-2-3-1?

I'll tell you, the first 3 games that season we were banging in the shots and I thought we'd run riot over teams. Shows how wrong you can be!

Agree with this. The games v Motherwell, Dundee Utd & Hearts were amongst the best i'd seen since Advocaats 2nd season, some of the football played was a joy to watch.

Agree with this. The games v Motherwell, Dundee Utd & Hearts were amongst the best i'd seen since Advocaats 2nd season, some of the football played was a joy to watch.

The first game against Motherwell was the best I've saw any rangers side play in my time

We were amazing that day and Buffel in particular ran the show

I thought we were onto a great season

The first game against Motherwell was the best I've saw any rangers side play in my time

We were amazing that day and Buffel in particular ran the show

I thought we were onto a great season

I listened to the Motherwell game on the radio (2-2 I recall) and we must have had about 2 dozen shots. Just makes you wonder if certain individuals hadn't taken umbrage at being asked to be professional whether we woulod have been on to something.