A reply from the BBC regarding Jim Spence

1st_Jan_1994

Just got the exact same email.

Funnily enough... Jim Spence didn't even say what the BBC have quoted him as saying. I listened to the YouTube clip of it, the sportsound listen back feature.... and at no point did Spence say what the BBC have said he did.

Excuses Excuses Excuses.

Absolutely atrocious that they try and lie to thousands that sent in complaints by telling them, what they heard wasn't even what they heard..

Exactly. If you listen to the broadcast they have put up on the site they've completely edited out his comments.

Reekin'.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the above comment from Spence true? Of so it's greatly difference to the one posted earlier.

He then went on to talk of us as the "new club", which gives the impression that he held that opinion too. So either the complaint didn't include that bit, or the BBC aren't aware of the full context or just being a bit disingenuous.

Just got the exact same email.

Funnily enough... Jim Spence didn't even say what the BBC have quoted him as saying. I listened to the YouTube clip of it, the sportsound listen back feature.... and at no point did Spence say what the BBC have said he did.

Excuses Excuses Excuses.

Absolutely atrocious that they try and lie to thousands that sent in complaints by telling them, what they heard wasn't even what they heard..

Post the link please.

Even if it is true (I didn't hear it) his intention to bait Rangers fans was perfectly clear.

Absolutely correct. The man is a bellend of the highest degree with a rancid hatred of this club that's about as subtle as a cock on a stripper. Regardless, this doesn't change the fact that what he allegedly said was taken out of context and twisted to make it sound worse. This was a stupid own goal which hands them a perfect get out which they have used. The actual quote was worthy of a complaint in itself and at least factual which would have left them no easy way out.

Moral of the story: as long as you put 'some people might say' at the start of your sentence you can be as inaccurate/offensive as you like.

Bunch of weasel worded arseholes. The point is, he did it purposely to have a dig, which is tedious, childish and makes the BBC look pathetic.... again.

Some people might say that Spence is a horrid, ugly, lugubrious, cretinous sex pest who should spend the rest of his days beings slowly sliced from the toes up in a vat of sewerage. However, others might say that he doesn't deserve such gentle punishment.

You have to wonder about the sort of things that some people might say. Then again, maybe you don't.

This is reply I have just rec'd:-Thank you for your contact. Your comments were passed to the Editor of Sport, who has asked that we forward his response as follows:

“Thank you for your correspondence. I have reviewed the contents of the Sportsound programme of Wednesday 4 September and the particular phrase to which you draw attention.

The actual words used by Jim Spence were: “John McClelland who was the chairman of the old club, some people will tell you the club, well, the club that died, possibly coming back in terms of the new chairman.” The phrase was used in the context of a live discussion about the proposed additions to the Rangers’ board and about former chairman John McClelland and former director Paul Murray joining the board.

Jim Spence did not state that the club had died but, in the context of a discussion about former board members joining the club, commented that there are some people who hold this particular view.

I do agree that the attributed comment could have been better phrased within the live piece and I am sorry if you were offended by this.

Thank you for your comments.”

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to contact us.

Details of the BBC complaints process are available online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle.shtml

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

Can no longer find the Youtube version.

To those looking for the sportsound listen back feature; there's links to it on the BBC's website somewhere.

Also must stress For those who've been fobbed off by BBC Scotland. If you are not happy just continue the complaints process. Link in the email.

From Chris Graham. ^

Some people might say that Spence is a horrid, ugly, lugubrious, cretinous sex pest who should spend the rest of his days beings slowly sliced from the toes up in a vat of sewerage. However, others might say that he doesn't deserve such gentle punishment.

You have to wonder about the sort of things that some people might say. Then again, maybe you don't.

some people also call him a cunt.

Any complaints should be focused of the direct (not quoted) usage of the phrase "old club", since he leaves no "some might say" wiggle room, which is their stated defence and therefore reason for rejecting the complaint.

Box clever with your complaints, rather than take a fresh air swipe, not suggesting that anyone in particular has done that.

Bligoted Bloody Cnuts would be a better term when it comes to sports Scotland output.

Shower, the lot of them. This was deliberate, no doubt in my mind. I did not hear remarks- i dont listen to BBC- but am using their own words to form my judgement.

Spence has to be very publicly fired or made to make an in-air apology for such an atrocious lie.

The club should consider a slander suit against him as well.

I'll happily chip in towards costs.

Any complaints should be focused of the direct (not quoted) usage of the phrase "old club", since he leaves no "some might say" wiggle room, which is their stated defence and therefore reason for rejecting the complaint.

Box clever with your complaints, rather than take a fresh air swipe, not suggesting that anyone in particular has done that.

Not sure about that. The BBC is supposed to be balanced. Continually using phrases like 'some might say' in relation to negative Rangers slants, without, as you say, doing the same when talking about other teams and without ever using the phrase in a positive manner, eg 'some might say the same club', clearly shows bias and makes it clear what Spense is actually saying. This should be challenged also.

Havent heard the clip to verfiy exactly what he said, but if he said what has been claimed in the letter including "coming back to the club" then personally it would be much ado about nothing.

I would want to hear it though before confirming. (tu)

Did you not read through this topic? That's not what he said, not even close.