Story In Rebel About The Words In The Billy Boys

minstral

Interestingly his lawyer is a rabid Tim, reared in the Pollok/ Priesthill area of Glasgow, whereas the Pf was reared a prod.

P.s. If you think his name is bad his sisters, of which there are several, are all worse. Conceptionata, Scholastica, and Gasinta come to mind.

Bigus Dickus and his wife Incontientia Buttocks also come to mind.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the whole thing rather worrying and sinister.

He wasn't getting convicted for posting a banned song, but for posting a song that quote....... ''Depute fiscal Kim McGregor said the song incited “religious prejudice against Catholic people”.

And she added: “I would submit that the lyrics ‘Up to our knees in Fenian blood, Surrender or you’ll die’ could initiate violence against the Catholic community.''

So in practice, if any other Rangers related song were ;posted that the scum took offence too and made up the usual lying shite on how they found it threatening and possible incite violence, then we are fucked. For me it is nothing more than an infringement on our liberties and religious oppression by the authorities and NOT the other way around.

I'm sure Kim is a leading light in Presbyterianism...NOT!!

Don't think he did admit it, article says he was fined after trial.

Ms McGregor said: “The accused said it was meant as banter with his mates but conceded the comments were made completely out of stupidity. As he admitted to posting the sectarian remarks he knew they would be threatening and abusive.

From the article. Once you admit something your fucked. If they can't prove it then they try fuck you straight away, Polis are fly cunts.

Ms McGregor said: “The accused said it was meant as banter with his mates but conceded the comments were made completely out of stupidity. As he admitted to posting the sectarian remarks he knew they would be threatening and abusive.

From the article. Once you admit something your fucked. If they can't prove it then they try fuck you straight away, Polis are fly cunts.

Ah, see what you mean now, he made the admission during his evidence not whilst entering his plea. Tad confusing in the article. Problem for him is that he couldn't really argue as to the meaning or offensiveness of his posts unless he admitted posting them.

Given that the Fenians were, at least officially, not sectarian and included Catholics AND Protestants, it seems a bit absurd to say it has anything to do with Catholics. Even now, it's perfectly possible (if unlikely) for an Irish nationalist to come from Protestant stock and still refer to himself as a Fenian. If you were to call him a Fenian bastard for his politics, could that be construed as an assault on the Catholic faith? No.

Words can change meaning with time, and plenty of people, either through ignorance or stupidity, use the word interchangeably with "Catholic", "Irishman" and "Celtic fan", but the law is not supposed to be ambiguous. Context is what matters. Given that Kris Commons is not, I don't imagine, an Irishman OR a Catholic, calling him a Fenian is stupid and meaningless but clearly not an attack on his ethnicity or religious persuasion. Clearly it is an attack on his perceived politics, as a result of being associated with Celtic FC, and if you're not allowed freedom to criticise a man's politics then my God, we're in trouble.

Some people even call Roman Catholics just 'Catholics'

Because it's taken 2 years to get through the court system I believe and he has only now received his punishment? Totally ludicrous the whole situation when you have that bloke who was bleating to the press about his stupid dug wearing that mhanky top and how he was being victimised because of it and yet his FB contained a lot more worse shit than this yet nothing is happening to him.

It's typical to say but in all honesty it's just a fucking farce, this particular law is a laughing stock and an absolute joke.

No wonder i can't wait to move away.

Context IS key. The context here is a guy calling another guy who (I assume) isn't a Catholic and isn't Irish a "fenian". It is a leap on your part, and on the part of the court, to assume that he meant either of those things. Logically it follows that he meant Fenian as in "republican", because Commons plays for a club with a support widely perceived to be republican in politics.

So you are correct in your Bale analogy. In this case, the guy called Kris Commons a Fenian, so it's not "racist". Had he called Neil Lennon one, it might have been fair to perceive it as such, though it would be a stretch to do so.

The fact that the word has been bent and battered into new meanings in the West of Scotland in order to secure frivolous prosecutions does not change the fact that in addition to the new meanings, it also retains the old one, and I simply do not see the grounds on which the young man in question was convicted of using one of these new meanings, rather than the original one.

"Tims" on the other hand, which you assert is not offensive and unambiguously refers to Celtic fans alone, actually has a Catholic street gang as its origin. It's not "offensive" because nobody is offended by it, but it actually has religious roots at its very heart. "Fenian" does not.

"Fenians" are not a race so calling Lennon a Fenian can't be racist

"Fenians" are not a race so calling Lennon a Fenian can't be racist

I would disagree, it could be racist or at least sectarian dependant on the context and the intent.

Sergio Garcia remarked about offering Tiger Woods 'fried chicken' as a peace offering. This was an ill judged racial stereotype for which he rightly apologised.

The fenian term is so closely interlinked with irish catholics that using it in a derogatory and insulting way would indicate a sectarian intent.