The Fax Behind The Most Sensational Transfer In British Football

Bad Robot

the first mobile phone call was 1985 and were on sale 1987 at acost of £1200 and the network was ther if you stayed in south of england so he is pushing his luck ,i know i worked on them..

I agree. It's very doubtful.

Though phones had become less cumbersome than housebricks by 1989, they were still more trouble than they were worth, having battery life of less than an hour, and recharge times of 10 hours, and network coverage was woeful.

http://www.webdesign...ween-1983-2009/

There was also quite a long waiting list for them.

Now Souness might have been quite a big mover and shaker in our terms back then, but there were millionaires waiting for phones back then, and very few people really had the genuine need - at least not enough to outweigh the practical issues back then. :D

Oh and one last point - Back in 1989 the phrase "oh I've got his mobile number, I'll just give him a call, oh he's answering, he's just getting off a plane, no signal-problems, no battery problems, hello Graham?" - had not yet been coined. :D

I was in Majorca that summer just before he signed and we drank all the time in The Flying Haggis in Arenal.Bugsy the owner of the pub was very friendly with Souness is best friend who sang in one of Palma Novas top hotels.Now Bugsy told me the week before the story broke that Rangers would sign a player that would send the football world into meltdown.No name was mentioned by the friend of Souness but it turned out to be Mo.

If he found out about the story on the Sunday, Souness must have been laughing to himself all through the holiday my boss told me on the Thursday before it and said it would be announced on the Monday before they went to Italy for preseason training, I bet so many people a drink that it would happen, over the weekend that the following weekend was a bit of a blur.

Who told my boss? Jack Gillespie,

Souness had a mobile all those years ago?

I think most of the top earners would have had at least car phones and Souness was always a cool looking cunt, these mobiles were the bollocks back in 89...Del Boy was punting them on Only Fools around that time, thats as good as an endorsement as you'd ever need

only in the BD can we go from Mo Jo to Del boy in the one thread lol

Interesting story P 1872.

As an aside , just a couple of weeks ago I was talking to my parents about the boardroom battle and how JI was getting abuse , when she told me ( not being a football woman ) that she believes jack Irvine stayed next door to us in Ralston.

Only real time I got to see him was when he gave us our ball back as youngsters , and letting us into his garden to get it .I left in mid 80's but my mother told me when my daughter, Layla , was born he asked if she was named after the Eric Clapton ( Derek and the Dominoes ) song - she was !

Actually quite annoyed thinking of the conversations I could have with him now had he still stayed there ( parents still in same house ) but he did leave round about the time you said.

Interesting story P 1872.

As an aside , just a couple of weeks ago I was talking to my parents about the boardroom battle and how JI was getting abuse , when she told me ( not being a football woman ) that she believes jack Irvine stayed next door to us in Ralston.

Only real time I got to see him was when he gave us our ball back as youngsters , and letting us into his garden to get it .I left in mid 80's but my mother told me when my daughter, Layla , was born he asked if she was named after the Eric Clapton ( Derek and the Dominoes ) song - she was !

Actually quite annoyed thinking of the conversations I could have with him now had he still stayed there ( parents still in same house ) but he did leave round about the time you said.

Frank mccavennie and his mother used to stay accross the road from me up the Milton. We had closes directly facing each other and all the boys in the street used to use them as goals when we played football. Well that was up until his mother arrived in her wee blue mini. The whole street was empty but she had to park right at the close/goal and ruin our game. She done it everytime, sad really especially when her son was a professional footballer.

Souness told a friend of mine in Majorca that year he was going to make a signing that would rock scottish football - it certainly did and when i read the sun early that day i still didnt believe it , a bit of me still cant

The funny thing was the editor at the rheb at the then Anderston quay was so entrenched in his celtic upbringing that he was in denial that The Rangers had indeed signed Johnston up until he appeared at the press conference. Me and the mates knew for a couple of weeks, in fact we were tellin people and they wouldn't believe us !

The media made more of this than the support of course we had the usual token idiots dragged from the pub to say they would never watch Rangers again.

It seemed to be the last stick they could use to beat us and that hurt the media and the filthy beasts.

The media made more of this than the support of course we had the usual token idiots dragged from the pub to say they would never watch Rangers again.

It seemed to be the last stick they could use to beat us and that hurt the media and the filthy beasts.

So called fans paid a few quid to burn STs and scarves in front of Ibrox. Media are scumbags.

I was in Majorca that summer just before he signed and we drank all the time in The Flying Haggis in Arenal.Bugsy the owner of the pub was very friendly with Souness is best friend who sang in one of Palma Novas top hotels.Now Bugsy told me the week before the story broke that Rangers would sign a player that would send the football world into meltdown.No name was mentioned by the friend of Souness but it turned out to be Mo.

We frequented that boozer when in arenal around that time. We all had gers tops on meeting bugsy he mentioned his friendship with souness. He generously arranged for an autograph from souness.

On return to glasgow none if the lads believed it was genuine. We never knew for sure (no reason to doubt).

Sounds like it was genuine