Robbie Crawford

SteveJ

With all the hype over Ally McCoist at the moment, I had a ponder over the actual team and where we go with Ian Black being suspended and Macleod being injured (subject to a late fitness test).

I am sure some of you would have a vote for Kyle Hutton, but this lad just does not do it for me - he lacks influence, composure and distribution. Some of you might also shout out for Mckay and I rate this lad highly but I wonder if he is suited more to an attacking role, rather than a stalwart central midfielder.

The man that stands out for me, if you can label him as a man, is Robbie Crawford. This twenty year old has impressed me on every occasion I have seen him wear the jersey. The lad has also impressed our new fitness coach - Jim Henry - in as much as being labelled the fittest lad at Auchenhowie and I am certain he was not going on his looks.

What impresses me about Robbie is not so much his fitness because, let's be honest, most midfielders in the Rangers squad should be fitter than the part-timers they are up against. The attributes Robbie impresses with are influence, determination and distribution. These are attributes I also seen in a very young Barry Ferguson, back in the early 90's. What completes Robbie for me is his skill - he can show some superb skills for such a young lad and has bagged a couple of important goals for us.

He may not be the next Fergie, in terms of a future captain, but stranger things have happened. For anyone who seen him come on as a sub against Airdrie, he was captured on screen trying to pull the team together at a time when they looked like conceding. He was rather forthcoming in his approach to this and this is something Ally has gone on record as saying Robbie does not do. Ally has already told the media that the lad would never say boo to a goose, yet here he was rallying the troops in the 90th minute.

It's time we used Robbie more and although I would not want to see Macleod lose any game time, I would be happy to see Robbie start on Sunday in the middle, with Black sitting out his suspension.

Not sure I'd agree with you that he could be a 'stalwart' midfielder he is far too lightweight. A very average player compared to what's available. Thought Hutton started this season very well and was unlucky with the injury he got.

McKay is also out on loan for the next month. (tu)

While he seems a nice enough boy, and looks as if he conducts himself in the correct manner.

He needs to start accepting responsibility when he gets the ball, if his back is to goal, he almost always passes the ball back the way.

It drives me up the wall, he is more comfortable when the ball is in front of him mind you. Hope it works out for him though.

Not sure I'd agree with you that he could be a 'stalwart' midfielder he is far too lightweight. A very average player compared to what's available. Thought Hutton started this season very well and was unlucky with the injury he got.

McKay is also out on loan for the next month. (tu)

Hutton has passed the ball forward, i agree, but almost always to the wrong team. It has infuriated me that we can give the ball away so easily.

Hutton has passed the ball forward, i agree, but almost always to the wrong team. It has infuriated me that we can give the ball away so easily.

I wouldn't say Robbie's ball retention is any better in fact i'd say it's worse.

IMO, our central midfield, when fit, should be Black and Macleod with Law covering Macleod and Hutton covering Black through injuries and suspensions.

But while that isn't possible at the moment I'd much rather have Peralta given a chance as the sitting midfielder, it's his natural position and he has more of the attributes than Crawford does to play there.

Said it in another thread but can see Peralta in this role beside Law. Basically break up play and can defend if need be and let Ally be more expansive with say Sheils,playing in the hole supporting Clark and Daly and Aird and Temps out wide (wee Barrie Mackay being out on loan). This way can play 3 5 2 but we all know that makes too much fkn sense eh

Said it in another thread but can see Peralta in this role beside Law. Basically break up play and can defend if need be and let Ally be more expansive with say Sheils,playing in the hole supporting Clark and Daly and Aird and Temps out wide (wee Barrie Mackay being out on loan). This way can play 3 5 2 but we all know that makes too much fkn sense eh

Check mr football manager out

Peralta was dubbed as a new Gattuso but he could not even lace his damn boots. I appreciate McCoist has not given him game time in his preferred position but Gattuso played at right back also and was still a menace.

Peralta was dubbed as a new Gattuso but he could not even lace his damn boots. I appreciate McCoist has not given him game time in his preferred position but Gattuso played at right back also and was still a menace.

Is that not the problem though, Ally not playing to the team's strengths. I like Ally but sometimes he just does your box in

Was he? By who? Not sure I remember reading that apologies. And Peralta has only played RB once that I can remember.

Either way I'd say Crawford is not a holding central midfielder far too lightweight.

Is that not the problem though, Ally not playing to the team's strengths. I like Ally but sometimes he just does your box in

Was it not Dick Advocaat that played Rino at right back though? It's not just Ally that has played people out of position.