AJ urges King to spell out Rangers investment plans to make Ibrox return

North Rd

Former Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston has urged Dave King to secure fan backing for an Ibrox return by revealing his investment plans in detail.

Johnston served on the board alongside King during the latter part of Sir David Murray's tenure and has no doubt the South African-based businessman would be good for Rangers.

He feels, however, that King could bring vital public pressure to bear if he states precisely what he is willing to do to help the cash-strapped club.

article-0-1B47B1A500000578-786_634x431.jpg

On the up? Rangers are clear leaders at the top of League One

King reiterated this week that the current Ibrox hierarchy had refused to engage with him despite his persistent offers of potential investment.

Johnston backs his idea that the money should be used to buy new shares, therefore diluting the existing powerbase, but also believes greater clarity would help win over doubters in a fanbase left wearied by two years of turmoil following administration.

'I know Dave very well and he plays his cards very close to his chest,' Johnston told Sportsmail.

'The problem right now is that people don't really know what he is willing to do or has the ability to do.

'Dave needs to be more transparent by saying: "Look, if this, this and this happens, I'll do this, this and this."

article-0-1B3DF1D300000578-196_634x394.jpg

Ally pally: McCoist talks to his players during a training session at Murray Park

'More Rangers fans will gravitate towards it if Dave is more specific about what he is willing to do if specific conditions are met.

'Dave will have figured out that his agenda is in the best interests of Rangers. I say: “That's fine Dave, but what is it?”

'He certainly has the right mindset. I have absolutely no doubt that what he wants to do will be in the best interests of Rangers Football Club.

article-0-1B7531ED00000578-308_306x423.jpg

Don't hold back: Johnston has urged King to reveal his plans

'But for him to garner the support that he needs to make this all happen, he has to be a bit more transparent.'

King, who lost a £20million investment in the club during Murray's reign, has no interest in buying out existing shareholders. The December 2012 Initial Public Offering launched shares at 70p, but the price has steadily dropped to around 26p.

'Dave has quite clearly taken a position that I agree with,' added Johnston. 'You don't want to be buying shares where the money is just going to line the pocket of previous shareholders.

'If you are going to buy into the club, you want 100 per cent of that money to go to operating capital and for business development. Simple as that.

'The concern I'm sure Dave has is that there are still major shareholders at Rangers who are financial institutions looking for a return on their investment. The most important thing for them is to get out having made money from it.

'The way the share price is just now, that will be challenging. But whoever these investors may be, and there is scepticism about some of their identities, they are in it for a return on their money.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2tI905S6U

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Exactly what I said about Murray co as well. All these empty promises and sound bites are a lot of pish.

Tell us exactly how much you are going to put in and what it means and the supporters will follow. Actually, do that and a lot of investors will follow as well. (tu)

Still no one knows whats going on at Ibrox. Wallace is doing his 120 plan and has gone quietm all the talk about us being down to our last million next month and still fuck all is happening.

When you here nothing you wonder whats going on with all of these cunts involved with Rangers right now?

There is no real surprises in any of this. I think King is being very shrewd and patience is the key where he is concerned.

AJ probably knows fine well what Kings intentions are and this is a deliberate tactical move.

On top of this Graham Wallace has not refused any investment from King. Mr Wallace quite correctly is assessing the current structures at the club and making necessary adjustments and only when he has suitably addressed those issues will he seek to attract additional investment.

Aj is right in saying king should outline his plans or intentions because no-one knows what he plans its all fine saying he wants to put money in but he has to tell us fans how he intends to do that how much he plans to invest how he plans to take us forward and how he's going to prevent this situation from ever happening again!!

A few comments back someone said they thought DK was being shrewd, personally I get the impression he just likes the sound of his own voice, and his face in the papers.

In South Africa he probably seen as just another white thief, were as here he's seen as just a thief!

As for the 20 million he has allegedly ploughed in to Rangers, that myth is up there with Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster and Lenny's really a nice guy!

What AJ says is right, DK should state his plans/intentions more clearly and although he was still under investigation with the SA tax authorities at the time of the Whyte take over, what's his excuse now for not making it a take over.

This shite about not wanting to line the pockets of whoever is rather weak excuse for doing nothing but sniping from the side lines.

can only agree,if king declares his intensions soon then this will get plenty support from the fans and GW will have to take king seriously.

we need financial health starting next season with everyone being involved one way or another,the board and king can make this happen :pipe:

Here is something interesting from an article shown on Bill McMurdos blog,The amount is about £11 million.

King's tax assessment is made up, among other things, of a R4,8m tax bill on his Sandhurst house,

R101,44m on a Falcon 900, R188,47m on a Talacar shareholders loan account, R2,1m on a Ferrari,

R17,24m for living expenses and - his largest single tax claim - R200m income from Rangers Football

Club, as well as R281,28m in penalties and R20m in taxes on income from the Amazulu Football Club,

which King insists he bought for R1 in return for paying outstanding salaries and financial obligations for

the club.

King also faces a criminal trial involving more than 300 charges.

Who says Mr Wallace is not taking him seriously? Has Mr King approached the club? Why should we have to make all the moves? Is the 120 day period up yet?

King says he has contacted the club and Wallace hasn't got back to him. So because Wallace is doing this "120 day plan" he can't bring in new investment?

Sounds like alot of shite to me.