We are the Scouts

molesmole

Dib! Dib! Dib!

This reminds me of some info on QI:

Baden Powell's handbook,Scouting For Boys, has this advice to offer on the following subjects:

Suicide: 'When a man has gone so far as to attempt suicide, a scout should know what to do with him. In a case where the would-be suicide has taken poison, give milk and make him vomit, which is done by tickling the inside of the throat with a finger or a feather…In the case of hanging, cut down the body at once, taking care to support it with one arm while cutting the cord… A tenderfoot [novice] is sometimes inclined to be timid about handling an insensible man or a dead man, or even of seeing blood. Well, he won’t be much use till he gets over such nonsense.'

Slaughtering cattle: 'If you are a beginner in slaughtering with the knife, it is sometimes useful to first drop the animal insensible by a heavy blow with a big hammer or the back of a felling-axe on top of the head.'

Stopping a runaway horse: 'don’t run in front of it with your arms waving. Rather run alongside it, catch hold of it, seize the reins and bring it up against a wall or a house to compel it to stop.'

Saving someone who has fallen in front of a train: 'if the train is very close, lie flat between the rails, [and] make the man do the same till the train passes over while everybody else will be running about screaming and excited and doing nothing.'

Although I don't think it's set out particularly well I do think the fans could be more involved in scouting. We have a worldwide fanbase with many fans involved in football at various levels or avid watchers of the game. If the club were to set up a template then fans could submit detailed scouting reports of players. All the club would have to do is employ someone to go through the submissions and pass on any relevant ones to the scouting department. I'm sure a lot of fans would be keen to be involved and there could be incentives offered for any report that leads to a signing etc.

Although I don't think it's set out particularly well I do think the fans could be more involved in scouting. We have a worldwide fanbase with many fans involved in football at various levels or avid watchers of the game. If the club were to set up a template then fans could submit detailed scouting reports of players. All the club would have to do is employ someone to go through the submissions and pass on any relevant ones to the scouting department. I'm sure a lot of fans would be keen to be involved and there could be incentives offered for any report that leads to a signing etc.

Fuck no. Most are clueless. No thanks

I agree. Man City released all their Opta style stats to see if someone from the general public could make something of them. Very cool idea.

Unfortunately, I don't think Rangers care what we think at all.

Fuck no. Most are clueless. No thanks

True. But there are a lot with substantial knowledge of the game and like I say the club would merely need to employ someone to go through the submissions and pass on the relevant ones to the scouting department who would then make the final decision. Just an idea to help,

Dib! Dib! Dib!

This reminds me of some info on QI:

Absolutely imperative information in this day and age, as it was relevant in the past. This data should be carried by all "daring do" chaps, as it will lead to a successful life of the equivalent nut job you endeavour to become.

BP must have been a nut job. But I did laugh, as it is also very funny. :7325:

Sign Kyle Spence, Richie Petrie, Craig Storie, Blair Spittal and Greg Kiltie. The King brothers for Hearts aren't too shabby either.

Stefan Scougall would have been alright, but he's nearly 22, and he signed for Sheffield in January anyway. There's another boy from Livingstone I'm sure, a center back with a fucking ridiculous name but I can't be arsed looking.

Our own youth teams are magic from U16's down. Don't know if its always like this, and they all end up just hitting the bevy, but hopefully there's 5 or 6 from each year that can make attempt a serious push into the first team.

Sign Kyle Spence, Richie Petrie, Craig Storie, Blair Spittal and Greg Kiltie. The King brothers for Hearts aren't too shabby either.

Stefan Scougall would have been alright, but he's nearly 22, and he signed for Sheffield in January anyway. There's another boy from Livingstone I'm sure, a center back with a fucking ridiculous name but I can't be arsed looking.

Our own youth teams are magic from U16's down. Don't know if its always like this, and they all end up just hitting the bevy, but hopefully there's 5 or 6 from each year that can make attempt a serious push into the first team.

Man City apparently watched him on Saturday and we released him :blush:

Your lucky if one youth player every 3 years makes.it.to the first team and stays there

Your lucky if one youth player every 3 years makes.it.to the first team and stays there

True enough, hopefully we can improve in future years though.

Ogen and Telfer sound like decent players form our current crop, but it's down to whether they get the chances.

Thing is, they'll need to get a few games in before the season ends. I can't see many youth players breaking into the squad next year with the increase in quality opposition.