Big Tax Bill for Lennon?

Take That stars face big tax bill for tax evasion after involvement in a dodgy film investment scheme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27356896

Wasn't Lennon signed up for that too?

Be careful when you criticise Rangers about EBTs, may come back to bite you.

Nearly all of the tarriers were mate. Lawell, mjallby, o'neil, Lennon, Sutton

Take That stars face big tax bill for tax evasion after involvement in a dodgy film investment scheme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27356896

Wasn't Lennon signed up for that too?

Be careful when you criticise Rangers about EBTs, may come back to bite you.

Delighted to hear this Shuggy

These guys will just sue the professionals who advised them to use the scheme and not actually lose any money themselves as insurance co's will pay for it all.

The point is not about wrong advice or suing anyone , its about the hypocrisy of their moral outrage at tax avoidance!!

When I first heard of this story about two hours ago I must admit that this was a similar case to the film business tax avoidance scheme with the music business being substituted for the film ones. I wonder how long before it will be revealed that one of these cases going to court was set up after at seminar that was held in the Channel Islands by actual high raking members within HMRC it self.

For more info on this practice look for the episode of despatches from about a year ago that dealt with this and exposed what was going on regarding some holding senior posts within HMRC. I have no doubt in the end these three will get some sort of deal done like Eccelestone, Arsenal, Celtic and Heats on two occasions even though in public that HMRC don't do deals. The reality is the only people who they didn't do a deal with was Rangers when offered £10m by SDM en years ago.

As we now have plenty of documented proof that they did do deals throughout that ten year period it must now be revealed who at HMRC was so convinced that Rangers PLC must singled out for punishment. A case that was lost by HMRC and again been brought to appeal on the flimsiest means, based not on a point of tax law, but on a view of morality by one member of the panel someone who I believe is no a tax lawyer. Given that the company they are pursuing no longer has assets does such a appeal based not on tax law deserve to have been granted? I would expect any sane person to say no base on the fact there is nothing to be gained other than higher legal fees on the pubic purse. I for one feel that it is high time that an investigation into who was in charge of this case regarding its handing, any bias being shown in his/her decisions, why a deal was not done and indeed was there pressure being brought to bear by any serving or retired civil servant or politician.

When I first heard of this story about two hours ago I must admit that this was a similar case to the film business tax avoidance scheme with the music business being substituted for the film ones. I wonder how long before it will be revealed that one of these cases going to court was set up after at seminar that was held in the Channel Islands by actual high raking members within HMRC it self.

For more info on this practice look for the episode of despatches from about a year ago that dealt with this and exposed what was going on regarding some holding senior posts within HMRC. I have no doubt in the end these three will get some sort of deal done like Eccelestone, Arsenal, Celtic and Heats on two occasions even though in public that HMRC don't do deals. The reality is the only people who they didn't do a deal with was Rangers when offered £10m by SDM en years ago.

As we now have plenty of documented proof that they did do deals throughout that ten year period it must now be revealed who at HMRC was so convinced that Rangers PLC must singled out for punishment. A case that was lost by HMRC and again been brought to appeal on the flimsiest means, based not on a point of tax law, but on a view of morality by one member of the panel someone who I believe is no a tax lawyer. Given that the company they are pursuing no longer has assets does such a appeal based not on tax law deserve to have been granted? I would expect any sane person to say no base on the fact there is nothing to be gained other than higher legal fees on the pubic purse. I for one feel that it is high time that an investigation into who was in charge of this case regarding its handing, any bias being shown in his/her decisions, why a deal was not done and indeed was there pressure being brought to bear by any serving or retired civil servant or politician.

So if HMRC are guilty of being biased against Rangers where would that leave the OldCo? Would they be able to pursue damages against the tax authority and if so who would be awarded (seeing as there is no trading company anymore) any compensation? And would they be able to get the liquidation reversed?

He would just change his tune like he has done with Stokes and Griffiths.

Hypocrite slimy worst cunt.

If those two inbred fuckers had changed the tune earlier, they might have avoided the racist and bigoted songs. Then again, are we surprised that these two knuckle-draggers lack a sense of self-awareness? :mutley:

These guys will just sue the professionals who advised them to use the scheme and not actually lose any money themselves as insurance co's will pay for it all.

They won't be able to. When you enter into a tax avoidance scheme, there is a section of the terms of business which states that the scheme is based on their interpretation of tax law at that time and that there is risk attached to it. If you don't want to face that risk, then you just pay the tax. The film and music partnership schemes are vastly different to EBT's and the Aikido schemes which replaced them.

The point is not about wrong advice or suing anyone , its about the hypocrisy of their moral outrage at tax avoidance!!

People calling for Gary Barlow to have his OBE taken away - and he's (relatively) popular!

"An HMRC spokesman told the BBC that "anyone using a scheme that HMRC deems to be against the rules owes them money"."

That is unless they are found not to as Rangers were. I wonder if the same spokesman would like to comment on HMRC management holding seminars on how to create such schemes via the Channel Islands.

wearethemighty - "So if HMRC are guilty of being biased against Rangers where would that leave the OldCo? Would they be able to pursue damages against the tax authority and if so who would be awarded (seeing as there is no trading company anymore) any compensation? And would they be able to get the liquidation reversed?"

If it was to be found that an individual or group of people within HMRC had deliberately targeted Rangers or any other company to the point of liquidation than I'm sure that share holders would have some grounds to sue for damages, whether or not that would be those who had carried out the misuse of HMRC's powers or HMRC as an entity would have to be answered by a lawyer.

One thing is for sure if it is ever proven that this was the case the people involved should face a hefty jail sentence especially when you consider the possibility that they might also have been the ones behind the theft of documents that were leaked to a certain web site and a BBC journalist.