Has the group stage been a success for the European Cup?

I would say for the small teams it gives them extra games but the ones with a chance of winning it only start playing after the new year ... for example septic will never shut up about beating Barca in the group stages but will never tell you that Juventus humped them 8-0 at the business end of the tournament :party:

Always think it strange that it started to be called the champions league just when it became no longer for champions :000000082:

The year those French wanks cheated to win it it was all champions and over the years its has been bastardized beyond belief.

Champions having to play 3 or 4 qualifiers whilst a team can finish 3rd and automatically get to the groups.

All aimed and designed to make the top teams richer. Originally a fairly decent idea.

In the original format it was a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately UEFA bastardised it beyond recognition to the current format in order to make more money and keep all the top teams happy. This has, of course, made to big leagues much stronger than the smaller ones and the gap will only get bigger.

A failure for me. The European cup is quite boring these days IMO.

The year those French wanks cheated to win it it was all champions and over the years its has been bastardized beyond belief.

Champions having to play 3 or 4 qualifiers whilst a team can finish 3rd and automatically get to the groups.

All aimed and designed to make the top teams richer. Originally a fairly decent idea.

The CL format was partly dreamed up by Rangers

Champions league is for the champions IMO

I don't think there is an issue with the format necessarily, (except for Champions not going into the group stages, which is completely unfair) but I think the issue is the way certain ties seem to happen every year in the knockout stages and the big teams are kept apart.

I'd remove the country protection from the last 16 draw and take away the random draw.

I don't know how it would work out but I'd change it to an NBA style seedings system. Groups A,B,C and D on one side of the draw and E,F,G and H on the other.

The 8 group winners are seeded 1-8 and the 8 second placed teams are seeded 9-16 all based on their record in the group. 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15, and so on and so on. Eliminates dead rubbers from the end of the group stage, you get rewarded for your performance in the group, and it would spice up the competition a bit.

I get the thing about only Champions, but I'd still rather watch Barca, Dortmund and Chelsea over Plzen, Maccabi Haifa and Malmo, no disrespect.

I think all champions go through and then divide the rest of the spots up between other teams and coefficients or whatever. I'm not sure how many leagues there are and many spots would be taken up by champions though

I suppose what champions have in common is that they are used to winning ... I wonder in play offs how often the team from the lower league who have the momentum beat the team from the higher one who are only used to losing? Having said that you obviously need more than 1 team from countries like England and Spain

I get the thing about only Champions, but I'd still rather watch Barca, Dortmund and Chelsea over Plzen, Maccabi Haifa and Malmo, no disrespect.

I think all champions go through and then divide the rest of the spots up between other teams and coefficients or whatever. I'm not sure how many leagues there are and many spots would be taken up by champions though

This