Messi is no Maradonna

They wouldn't, I never claimed they would. It's probably a class thing as much as footballing ability as to why Maradona (and, indeed, Tevez) are more popular than Messi in Argentina anyway - Maradona and Tevez grew up in the slums.

It just seemed an interesting point given they are both Argentinian.

There's a similar situation with Pele and Garrincha (not based on upbringing, so much as the fact that Pele was the corporate good boy and Garrincha was the bow-legged pop-star-shagging drunkard who lost his virginity to a goat, thus a folk hero).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ferocity of defenders diving in at any opportunity?

Defending has changed completely, players are far more tactically aware and astute now. Messi would thrive if people were trying flying into him at any opportunity and not defending on the 18 yard line.

I think if this world cup shows anything it is that defending is becoming a dying art

Messi has scored more goals in less appearances for club and country and he's still only 27 . Has also played against a higher standard of player and league than Maradona .

Maradona played with a terrific squad of players for Argentina compared to what Messi has around him .

Messi is also not a coke head.

Granted at times he looked lazy in some of these games but understandable when you see the amount of games he plays in a season .

In years to come Messi will be known as the greatest ever player ..........

Messi has scored more goals in less appearances for club and country . Has also played against a higher standard of player and league than Maradona .

Maradona played with a terrific squad of players for Argentina compared to what Messi has around him .

Messi is also not a coke head.

Granted at times he looked lazy in some of these games but understandable when you see the amount of games he plays in a season .

In years to come Messi will be known as the greatest ever player ..........

The Italian league was the best in the world when Maradonna was there and with the exception of Caniggia the Argentinian team of 86 wasn't better than the present day one ... so far as the coke head thing goes it's just sad to think that we never saw the best of Maradonna but he is still the only man who came as close as anyone ever will to winning a world cup on his own

The Italian league was the best in the world when Maradonna was there and with the exception of Caniggia the Argentinian team of 86 wasn't better than the present day one

Clutching at straws there , the Spanish league has been the best in the world the whole time Messi has been there and this Argentina side is nowhere near as good as the past teams , even in 86 ........

Clutching at straws there , the Spanish league has been the best in the world the whole time Messi has been there and this Argentina side is nowhere near as good as the past teams , even in 86 ........

It's you who is clutching at straws why do you think that Gazza went to play in Italy when he was the hottest young property in world football ... the Italian league was the best in the world when Maradonna won Napoli 2 titles there

It's you who is clutching at straws why do you think that Gazza went to play in Italy when he was the hottest young property in world football ... the Italian league was the best in the world when Maradonna won Napoli 2 titles there

Is that really the best you can do dafty ?

I think if this world cup shows anything it is that defending is becoming a dying art

Absolutely. Some of the defending has be utterly abysmal and the rest was atrocious.

That's why I think people are getting carried away with the standard of this world cup. Yeah, it was more entertaining than a couple of previous tournaments, but it wasn't particularly high class.

Absolutely. Some of the defending has be utterly abysmal and the rest was atrocious.

That's why I think people are getting carried away with the standard of this world cup. Yeah, it was more entertaining than a couple of previous tournaments, but it wasn't particularly high class.

I wouldn't agree with that on defending

Teams are more structured, they are playing very narrow and you find the 2 defensive lines are now becoming harder & harder to find space to play in.

Germany struggled to open up Argentina just like the Dutch couldn't.

Past world cups there were utter shite competing and some teams never even had players playing professionally

This World Cup and these days any country could beat anyone and the standard is so high that its real athletes involved

I wouldn't agree with that on defending

Teams are more structured, they are playing very narrow and you find the 2 defensive lines are now becoming harder & harder to find space to play in.

Germany struggled to open up Argentina just like the Dutch couldn't.

Past world cups there were utter shite competing and some teams never even had players playing professionally

This World Cup and these days any country could beat anyone and the standard is so high that its real athletes involved

It didn't stop an awful lot of defensive errors. Some glaring howlers were committed.

Also, man-marking was poor and the "superstars" were disappointing.

Goalkeepers came out of it fairly well, with an odd exception here and there.

I was also quite disappointed with a lot of the games from the third group match right through the knockout stages.

Those stats, while a nice bit of support, don't tell anywhere near the whole story. Messi had a GOOD tournament. He was probably in the top 10 or so players, in fact, but it just seemed as if the award was pre-determined. He's had some fantastic moments, but spent large chunks of the tournament in anonymity. He wasn't even the best player in the Argentine team, in my opinion; Mascherano was excellent.

Messi had an average tournament for his standards

But for the average player and compared to the normal footballer , he was in the top 5 and was outstanding

Aguero , Higuain , Lavezzi & the guy with the shit hair scored. 1 goal.

Disgraceful showing.

Mess wasn't his dynamic best in the knockout rounds or even the tournament but he dragged that Argentina team to the final.

If he wasnt in that squad they would have went out long before they did

Messi had an average tournament for his standards

But for the average player and compared to the normal footballer , he was in the top 5 and was outstanding

Aguero , Higuain , Lavezzi & the guy with the shit hair scored. 1 goal.

Disgraceful showing.

Mess wasn't his dynamic best in the knockout rounds or even the tournament but he dragged that Argentina team to the final.

If he wasnt in that squad they would have went out long before they did

Their first three games were Iran, Bosnia and Nigeria. He should have been destroying them. I don't like Neymar, but did you see what happened to Brazil (in part) when he was injured? Argentina's biggest winning margin was one goal in the entire tournament. I'm not disagreeing with you, despite how this might seem, but Messi at even 80% would have torn some of those teams apart. As I said, he had moments of brilliance, but they were few and far between. Rodriguez was the obvious choice (and he is who I would have given it to), but I'd have had Robben over Messi, too. Wasn't convinced by Muller this year, although he scored some good goals. Just looks awkward in his build-up play.

Messi created the most chances out the whole of the World Cup, more than any other player.

He also finished the tournament 3rd highest in the history of the world cup for dribbling with the ball

Can't understand the witch hunt for messi from people

He's the best of his generation and possibly ever!

Why can't people just enjoy him and why do we need to compare him right now when he's got around 10 more yrs to play