Manager can handle it.

bawsburst

Yeah coz he should have turned the youth into mini-messi's and brought the cream of the lower divisions into the club and moulded them into a team that could march through the divisions without anyone getting into our half of the pitch. Then he should've ramped up the training and coaching again and won the SPFL at the first time of asking and charged forward into Europe.

Meanwhile, in the real world.....

... and done so - while paying for the privilege and the kids only earning peanuts but available for sale at £10M each ...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yawn. Do we still have posters like this?

The main problem is that McCoist has spent a relative fortune assembling this squad, but there's really only two or three players in this team that are anywhere close to what we need to compete should we get into the SPFL.

MacLeod, Bell and Wallace and the only three players I'd hang my hat on to perform to anything close to what we require. All that money spent, yet it'll take another shit-load of cash to get us competitive.

That's poor management by anyone's standards. There should have been a core of young lads (not many, 3-5 perhaps) gently progressed through the team over the last two years. They didn't need to be starters, but perhaps first choice back-ups meaning that we didn't need to buy Shiels, Foster, Stevie Smith, Ian Black etc.

No-one is saying they're world-beaters, but by god, we certainly haven't given many the development time required to get close to it. Anyone looking at taking us over will be aware of this - christ knows how we'll cost to buy outright, but it'll be another £5m-£8m to get us competitive.

Yawn - do we still have posters like this - bleating on and on without taking into any account of the realities of the situation .... LOve especially the bit about 3 - 5 young lads - oh wait we have progressed 3 - 5 young lads - if not more - oh dear!

All that money spent and yet only 40% against turnover - low %age in my opinion - we are Rangers after all BUT if Ally had only used kids and won fuck all the same folk would be criticising him for that - go figure.

Yawn - do we still have posters like this - bleating on and on without taking into any account of the realities of the situation .... LOve especially the bit about 3 - 5 young lads - oh wait we have progressed 3 - 5 young lads - if not more - oh dear!

All that money spent and yet only 40% against turnover - low %age in my opinion - we are Rangers after all BUT if Ally had only used kids and won fuck all the same folk would be criticising him for that - go figure.

No-one's asking him to use all kids. This idea that playing younger players automatically means a drop in point return is bizarre anyway, especially up against part-time footballers. If we don't have anyone younger players at the club who couldn't have done the job of Cribari, Foster, Stevie Smith etc then maybe we should just sell Auchenhowie as it clearly isn't producing any more.

None the less, the answer is no. We haven't blooded 3-5 young lads, not properly. I'd say two at a push, in Aird and MacLeod. Two young guys who can be considered good enough for first team football in all the time we've had away in easy leagues. That's really poor.

Even then, I don't think Aird is fantastic. Far too much like Gregg Wylde, all pace and very little skill. MacLeod is the real deal however, so I'd say he's the only player we've really brought along.

You keep producing random statements along these lines as if we're not one step off the top division in the minimum time possible.

Having spent somewhere around the £20m mark on the first team squad alone to get there.

And unless there's major investment the money we didn't need to spend but did will be at the expense of money we will need to spend but don't have.

Having spent somewhere around the £20m mark on the first team squad alone to get there.

And unless there's major investment the money we didn't need to spend but did will be at the expense of money we will need to spend but don't have.

If we don't get there we won't have access to the money we need...

Ok, so just how would you have ensured that we'd got back to the top in the shortest possible time?

You keep producing random statements along these lines as if we're not one step off the top division in the minimum time possible.

A wild chimp could have got us back to back promotions.

A real football manager however would have been able to do so without spending ten times what everyone else around him spends. They would have been able to deliver two of the easiest cups in the land.

Fact is McCoist made an utter cunt of it and by doing so we find ourselves having to face the prospect of buying a complete new 11 as the ones here are not anywhere near the level required due to declining under McCoist or because they are plain pish.

He's one of... if not the worst manager in our entire history.

A real football manager however would have been able to do so without spending ten times what everyone else around him spends. They would have been able to deliver two of the easiest cups in the land.

Fact is McCoist made an utter cunt of it and by doing so we find ourselves having to face the prospect of buying a complete new 11 as the ones here are not anywhere near the level required due to declining under McCoist or because they are plain pish.

That's just total and utter pish!

You seriously expected is to be producing and buying players that could be developed into a squad capable of challenging at the top end of the top division considering the circumstances that we've been through in the last three years? Really? doh

We've paid over the odds for journeymen to get us there and relying on much of the youth never would have. Some are decent but many will never make Rangers players. If you wanted to develop a team capable of storming the SPFL with a challenge when we got there it would have needed a stable club with money behind it and a half decent scouting network...and would have cost you a darned site more if you wanted the guarantee.

This is it in a nutshell, back to back promotions, but at what cost to our future?

As well as the money already spent assembling the squad, we're now facing the prospect of most of them being out of contract with only Wallace and Macleod who would command a fee.

He is the worst manager in our history as he's had the easiest opposition on the park yet felt the need to throw money at a situation that didnt involve celt*c.

The fact people still try to back him up shows how low the standards of some of the support have fallen, how can we challenge celt*c when we shrug off losing the Ramsdens Cup to Raith.

That's just total and utter pish!

You seriously expected is to be producing and buying players that could be developed into a squad capable of challenging at the top end of the top division considering the circumstances that we've been through in the last three years? Really? doh

We've paid over the odds for journeymen to get us there and relying on much of the youth never would have. Some are decent but many will never make Rangers players. If you wanted to develop a team capable of storming the SPFL with a challenge when we got there it would have needed a stable club with money behind it and a half decent scouting network...and would have cost you a darned site more if you wanted the guarantee.

:lol:

You are a complete moron if you think McCoist has gone about this in the correct way.

A lost cause.

So he'd have achieved exactly the same.

What spent £20m or so against part timers?

Spent more each season than all our competitors added together?

Not won the Ramsdens at 2 attempts?

Developed a positive footballing style?

Offer players new contracts then punt them months later?

Developed more than 2 assets we could sell?

Be in a position that as we enter the SPL many of the squad are out of contract?

Nah that's Ally's gig.

This is it in a nutshell, back to back promotions, but at what cost to our future?

As well as the money already spent assembling the squad, we're now facing the prospect of most of them being out of contract with only Wallace and Macleod who would command a fee.

He is the worst manager in our history as he's had the easiest opposition on the park yet felt the need to throw money at a situation that didnt involve celt*c.

The fact people still try to back him up shows how low the standards of some of the support have fallen, how can we challenge celt*c when we shrug off losing the Ramsdens Cup to Raith.

Our standards have fallen though, and at the moment it's expectation management with an eye for geting us back to where we should be. Even now, over two years later, we don't have the platforms there yet to do what you think we should have done. I understand the frustration but my finger points where it truly lies though (Murray, Whyte, Green et al) and it's not the people that are there now and certainly not the manager. They're suffering as much as you and I, and for me personally, I understand where we've been, the impact it's had on the club and the realisation that where we've been over the last two years (footballing-wise) has prevented us from doing much else with respect to player development and acquisition.

We've been stuck in the arse-end of one of the worst football leagues in Europe yet some expected us to put together a young and dynamic squad (built primarily from players who will likely never be good enough for Rangers) and this was to be supplemented by experienced pro's, who of course would be expected to give up higher salaries, waste three years of their careers in a shitey league just to help us. Then of course, this dream was to carry us on to SPFL glory too!! It was NEVER going to happen that way. The club would have to have been stable, have proper plans going forward and all the management systems in place to build from that foundation, but it never has been, it's been in the wrong hands and because of the continued in-fighting over money and the revolving boar-room door, there's been no forward thinking.

Given all that's gone on, The question you have to ask yourself is how would you have done it whilst guaranteeing back to back promotions all the way to the title?

:lol:

You are a complete moron if you think McCoist has gone about this in the correct way.

A lost cause.

Do YOU think the kids good enough?

If you think they are, what have YOU seen of them to make that judgement?

What more experienced players would YOU have brought in?

How would YOU have identified them?

Where would YOU have brough them from?

How much would YOU pay them?

How would YOU encourage players of the quaility YOU want to play in the bottom two tiers of Scottish football?

What size of squad do YOU think we should have?

How would YOU guarantee the promotions?

Should we be in a position to challenge in the SPFL once we get there?

GRETNA FC

GRETNA

March 2005 - Win promotion to Second Division ( 32 wins out of 36)

March 2006 - Win promotion to First Division (by 18 points)

May 2006 - Get into Scottish Cup final ( Loss to Hearts )

April 2007 - Win promotion to Scottish Premier League

Cost circa £8million

But hey, £20 million is OK for some.

http://news.bbc.co.u...tna/7406153.stm

Our standards have fallen though, and at the moment it's expectation management with an eye for geting us back to where we should be. Even now, over two years later, we don't have the platforms there yet to do what you think we should have done. I understand the frustration but my finger points where it truly lies though (Murray, Whyte, Green et al) and it's not the people that are there now and certainly not the manager. They're suffering as much as you and I, and for me personally, I understand where we've been, the impact it's had on the club and the realisation that where we've been over the last two years (footballing-wise) has prevented us from doing much else with respect to player development and acquisition.

We've been stuck in the arse-end of one of the worst football leagues in Europe yet some expected us to put together a young and dynamic squad (built primarily from players who will likely never be good enough for Rangers) and this was to be supplemented by experienced pro's, who of course would be expected to give up higher salaries, waste three years of their careers in a shitey league just to help us. Then of course, this dream was to carry us on to SPFL glory too!! It was NEVER going to happen that way. The club would have to have been stable, have proper plans going forward and all the management systems in place to build from that foundation, but it never has been, it's been in the wrong hands and because of the continued in-fighting over money and the revolving boar-room door, there's been no forward thinking.

Given all that's gone on, The question you have to ask yourself

I'm well aware of our situation, and understand it, I don't think you or Ally do though.

1.There are 3 highly paid men in that dugout, have they no knowledge of the game in Scotland at all? What was wrong with signing players from the lower leagues who knew what it was about, would command lower wages and may even get us a sell on fee. One of the guys should be watching other games weekly looking for talent while we have no paid scouts. They should know their own country ffs.

2. Every year we gained promotion we could have got a higher standard of player, this is the first season IMO, that we should have been looking at top league type players, Ally has 100% tried to protect his job first, rather than protect Rangers as a football club, that is unforgivable, as a Rangers man.

He didn't set the budget but he blew it on utter pish.

3. No-one expected a team of kids ready to storm the top league on our return, I wouldn't have moaned if it was a team of kids that took to the park. We were in admin and holding company liquidated yet the manager is spending money like we always have done. By this stage we should have had a few youngsters as starters in the first team, players who may not be good enough to step up to the next level but are ok for Championship level. Sound ok so far?

Finally, a bank of money that we have saved on wages by taking a more sensible approach back to the top, this is where we fail miserably.

Ally has to shoulder a massive part of this as he has whined like a little girl in the press constantly about bringing more players in, because he knows he is a shite manager and buying better players than our opposition is the only way he can beat them, no doubt chapping at Green. Mather and Wallaces door 24/7 begging for more money to mask his incompetence.

Make no mistake, the board have ran us like a fat kid in McDonalds with his Dad's credit card, but Ally is guilty of blowing this money on useless junk leaving us with a massive rebuild that we can't afford.

I'm well aware of our situation, and understand it, I don't think you or Ally do though.

1.There are 3 highly paid men in that dugout, have they no knowledge of the game in Scotland at all? What was wrong with signing players from the lower leagues who knew what it was about, would command lower wages and may even get us a sell on fee. One of the guys should be watching other games weekly looking for talent while we have no paid scouts. They should know their own country ffs.

2. Every year we gained promotion we could have got a higher standard of player, this is the first season IMO, that we should have been looking at SPFL type players, Ally has 100% tried to protect his job first, rather than protect Rangers as a football club, that is unforgivable, as a Rangers man.

He didn't set the budget but he blew it on utter pish.

3. No-one expected a team of kids ready to storm the top league on our return, I wouldn't have moaned if it was a team of kids that took to the park. We were in admin and holding company liquidated yet the manager is spending money like we always have done. By this stage we should have had a few youngsters as starters in the first team, players who may not be good enough to step up to the next level. Sounds ok so far?

Finally, a bank of money that we have saved on wages by taking a more sensible approach back to the top, this is where we fail miserably.

Ally has to shoulder a massive part of this as he has whined like a little girl in the press constantly about bringing more players in, because he knows he is a shite manager and buying better players than our opposition is the only way he can beat them, no doubt chapping at Green. Mather and Wallaces door 24/7 begging for more money to mask his incompetance.

Make no mistake, the board have ran us like a fat kid in McDonalds with his Dad;s credit card, but Ally is guilty of blowing this money on useless junk leaving us with a massive rebuild that we can't afford.

Nail...Head.

(tu)

Although to be fair to Ally there were times he couldn't even fill his subs bench........

Yeah.

Depriving young players coming through a place on the bench just to make a point to the money men was pretty disgusting I thought.

You would think a former player would behave better than that but then again....

1.There are 3 highly paid men in that dugout, have they no knowledge of the game in Scotland at all? What was wrong with signing players from the lower leagues who knew what it was about, would command lower wages and may even get us a sell on fee. One of the guys should be watching other games weekly looking for talent while we have no paid scouts. They should know their own country ffs. We've bought most of our players from our own country though, and whilst I agree it's one thing we might have done better, and I'd agree that our staff didn't know enough about lower division players, but I would argue it's unfair to have expected them to. We were Rangers and rarely shopped in that market unless one of our scouts made a recommendation.

2. Every year we gained promotion we could have got a higher standard of player, this is the first season IMO, that we should have been looking at top league type players, Ally has 100% tried to protect his job first, rather than protect Rangers as a football club, that is unforgivable, as a Rangers man That's absolute conjecture on your part and used to fuel your dislike. That is also unforgivable in a Rangers man,. He didn't set the budget but he blew it on utter pish. That's an argument! That pish has just won back to back promotions with plenty to spare, so it's relative. Would lesser quality players have won the league? Probably. Would the quality on the park have been poorer? Probably. Would we be having the same "discussion" over signing policy and managerial ability? Certainly.

3. No-one expected a team of kids ready to storm the top league on our return, There's been plenty did, although most will deny it now. I wouldn't have moaned if it was a team of kids that took to the park. We were in admin and holding company liquidated yet the manager is spending money like we always have done. He's spending what he's allowed to, and a % of turnover, less than we've ever done. By this stage we should have had a few youngsters as starters in the first team, players who may not be good enough to step up to the next level but are ok for Championship level. Sound ok so far? The danger of not being able to step up to the next level increases the risk of staying at the level you're at!!! Would that be acceptable?

Finally, a bank of money that we have saved on wages by taking a more sensible approach back to the top, this is where we fail miserably. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the intention was always to re-invest when we hit the SPFL? In fact, I'm sure the intention would have been other signings this summer of the standard required if the board(s) hadn't screwed up projections.

Ally has to shoulder a massive part of this as he has whined like a little girl in the press constantly about bringing more players in, because he knows he is a shite manager and buying better players than our opposition is the only way he can beat them, no doubt chapping at Green. Mather and Wallaces door 24/7 begging for more money to mask his incompetence.

Make no mistake, the board have ran us like a fat kid in McDonalds with his Dad's credit card, but Ally is guilty of blowing this money on useless junk leaving us with a massive rebuild that we can't afford.

So, in summary, never give your kid more pocket money than you can afford?

Our style could be more pleasing on the eye, I agree.

What else?

2 Ramsdens Cups in our trophy cabinet. There is absolutely no excuse for failure in that competition.

Possibly integrated a few more players into the team who will be of use to us outside the lower leagues.

Demanded a wage cut the moment he knew we were going to the bottom tier.

Fought harder for a scouting team. Jon Dalys contract could have paid for a team of scouts. Given the choice, what would you have chosen?

Put a stop to the jobs for the boys illness our club suffers so badly from.

Stopped signing so many mediocre journeymen.

Gave youth more of a chance in the first team.

Hired a proper group of coaches for specialised training rather than his pals to go through the same sessions every single day.

That's just for starters.