Richard Gough

cumbrian bear

In a surprise twist, Richard Gough and Davie Provan both feel that Mike Ashley is the man to get Rangers back on their feet.

Glasgow Rangers fans should be rolling out the red carpet to encourage Mike Ashley to Ibrox - according to two of the Old Firm's iconic figures.

Sections of Rangers fans have protested against AshleyÂ’s input so far after he upped his stake of shares to 9%.

Newcastle released a statement last month insisting that Ashley was committed to the Magpies and banned the Daily Telegraph for a story that stated he was interested in selling the club.

Now AshleyÂ’s interest in Rangers is the talk of Scottish football at the moment. Indeed, fans feel that a battle is developing between current Rangers board member Dave King and Ashley.

Former skipper Richard Gough said: “Does it have to be that way?

“Is there no way these two businessmen can work together for the benefit or Rangers?

“The Newcastle owner appears to have watertight retail contracts at Ibrox and is obviously out to make money.

“It’s in everyone’s best interests that Rangers are back in the Champions League as soon as possible.

“I’m positive about that.

“He has a plan and will invest the cash if he gets the chance.”

And Gough is convinced Ashley is beginning to dig his heels in at Ibrox.

Gough said: “Charles Green’s Rangers legacy has been handing over these lucrative contracts to Ashley.

“The Englishman is not going anywhere and by calling for an EGM and trying to remove Graham Wallace, he’s clearly out to make his presence felt.”

Meanwhile, Celtic legend Davie Provan also feels that Ashley would be good for Rangers.

Provan said: “Am I missing something with Mike Ashley?

“He wiped Newcastle’s debt out, handed them £130million interest free and backed Alan Pardew beyond reason.

“Yet the billionaire’s money isn’t welcome at Ibrox?

“Sure, Ashley can see there’s money to be made from Rangers merchandising but rich men usually want some bang for their buck.

“At Man City, Sheikh Mansour bought the club and renamed the stadium just to promote Etihad Airlines.

“Try finding a City fan complaining.”

http://www.chronicle....shley-7928379?

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

If he's now effectively saying he was wrong before, in backing King against the board, what makes him right now, as Ashley is with the board.

Can his view be trusted and if so which one?

I think it just shows he has no more credible opinion than the rest of us. He's a former footballer and his opinions should be regarded in that light. I think he wants what's best for Rangers but he has no more idea than the rest of us.

If he's now effectively saying he was wrong before, in backing King against the board, what makes him right now, as Ashley is with the board.

Can his view be trusted and if so which one?

He backed the wrong horse in King not necessarily as King would fuck us over (personally think he would be a disaster though) but cause Mike Ashley is probably going to be our next owner

Gough (legend that he was) is now just another rent-a-quote who'll say anything for a quick buck off the tabloids.

Gough will do what best suits Gough.

End of.

I disagree George, having spoken to Gough a good deal over the last couple of years I find him to have nothing but Rangers best interests at heart - I can disagree with some of his opinions but not his intentions.

Though you can speak to my dad about him if you are in doubt.

GM

I think it just shows he has no more credible opinion than the rest of us. He's a former footballer and his opinions should be regarded in that light. I think he wants what's best for Rangers but he has no more idea than the rest of us.

I think all modern day footballers should not say anything because more often than not they talk s***e.

Why can't they both work togeather for the good of the club? I would prefer King but Ashley has the retail experience.

No matter who makes or sells our strips, they are gonna make money of it, but both these men at the helm I feel we would give Celtic a good run next season.

But the problem is these business men have ego's the size of Ibrox and they need to put their's aside for the good of the club.

It is good things are finally happening as this has dragged on for too long. The man that wants the club more and is prepared to give us the most cash for players is the one we should all be shouting for.

No matter who gets control it can't be any worse than what we have.

But as I said, if both dug deep and gave us a transfer kitty of 20 to 30million we will challange the mhanky mob.

Let's hope it's all sorted sooner rather than later for everyone's sake.