WilliamFyfe

Davies, Butcher, McCall or other?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Davies, Butcher, McCall or other?

• Davies
    • Butcher
    • McCall
    • Other, who?

Sorry, I don't mean to repeat myself but......we are paying Ally McCoist 750k for the next year for baws all. There will be no new manager until this 'contract' ends. Even then we will be scraping the barrel.

Times have changed.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek McInnes should be number one choice by a mile.

He has transformed Aberdeen, winning a cup in his first season. He has employed a Sports Science team and they have reaped the benefits. He is well connected in England scouting wise and they've had some great signings. He takes no shite form the press and has a great team spirit-as is often the cae Aberdeen get a raw deal from all quarters and he uses that well.

Played for the blue shirt of course too.

Gut feel is we could never tempt him away from the Dons-or afford to buy out his and Docherys contract. They are firmly on the up : £14m debt wiped out with a new stadium / training ground and he knows that.

Still it would show ambition if the board made an attempt!

AN Other to be blunt but we don't have the cash to bring anyone else in. Of the three listed ONLY McCall is acceptable. While I would love the Laudrup brothers they are too far removed from the Scottish game. With no scouting system in place we need someone who knows the game and the players north of the border. My preference would be McInnes but he is out of reach for now. As a totally bold move, at the end of the season give Alex Ferguson a 2 year contract as DoF with the remit to set up a scouting system, and to overhaul the playing system from the u/12's all the way through to the first team. with the belief that if a player goes down then the next best player in that position steps in not a reshuffling of the deck to cover.

Someone who would have a strict training regime, is not afraid to boot the players backsides and make them work for their place in the first team. Has to have a clue on tactics as well as playing players in their positions. Someone who will make changes where necessary.

Someone who can manage the team and the coaching staff on a whole.

We need someone like that.

Who? I have no idea, but Terry Butcher is definitely not on the list.

I voted for other. Not completely taken with the idea of any of those 3...

Of the ones listed I'd say McCall is by far the best of a bad bunch but I'd rather see it open to application and I'd like to see us go for whoever showed the most ability and enthusiasm to set out a whole new culture and structure. One that was always thinking years down the line instead of next week or next month.

I always thought if we could have lived through the pain of the transition then Paul Le Guen would have set us down a really positive road as far as our whole playing and fitness ethos was concerned. I'm guessing he's on Stupid money in Oman but assuming he wasn't lying about the offers he was getting earlier in his career then he has a history of moving to teams/countries that might surprise people.
Maybe he was chasing cash maybe he was chasing a new challenge? Either way, assuming we're about to get the settled boardroom we deserve, I wouldn't be upset to see us approach him as manager or DOF and see if he fancied the challenge of proving he was on the right road the last time. He'd be starting with a blank canvas so wouldn't have the dressing room shit he had last time.

I appreciate that's still looking back in a way instead of looking fully forward but if not him then somebody who could actually do what he tried/wanted to do would be my choice.

I've saw a few posts in similar threads like this where people have been naming the likes of Frank de Boer, Michael Laudrup, Dick Advocaat, Alex McLeish, etc to be McCoist's successor...

What fucking planet do you guys live on?

We are an underachieving Scottish Championship side. There's no way those guys named above would even look at us twice right now.

Take your heads out of clouds, man.

Realistically, we're looking at the likes of Stuart McCall, Billy Davies, Derek McInnes, etc to take charge.

Don't know where Terry Butcher as a candidate for the job came from. He's a very average manager and his best days as a manager came at ICT. And even then, it was nothing tremendous.

I'd opt for either McCall or Davies.

McCall done a great job at Motherwell. Run them brilliantly on a shoestring budget and was more or less building a new team every year there too.

Billy Davies has a decent win-loss ratio in England. Probably overachieved with Derby and took them up a season too early. But a lot of folk in football have said that he's a cunt to work with.

It's up to the people who are/will be running the Club, ultimately.

Maybe McCoist will walk for free now that Dave King/The Three Bears are involved, but I won't hold my breath on it.

Just have to wait and see, really.

For me it all depends on the finances of whoever ends up running the club.

In the short term we urgently need someone who can organise a pressing team as we have no structure and the constant players out of position is appalling. After the Hibs game, I was furious with Macdowell as he had an opportunity to strip out the dead wood and put his own stamp on the team. When we had zero organisation and Hibs just walked over the top of us I was raging. I'm SLIGHTLY more encouraged after the Dumbarton performance, but the reality is we were still really poor and with the players we have should be destroying all the teams in the Division bar Hearts and Hibs. Rangers as a football team have gone nothing but backwards and the players we signed have lost any ability or desire they might have had.

In the short term I would take Billy Davies. I think he has shown he can motivate and organise a team and play reasonable football at a higher level then Butcher or McCall.

In a dream world if we got serious money in I would want a more continental style manager as I just don't believe that any current attainable British manager can get us playing the football we crave. Ideal for me would be Michael Laudrup or Frank de Boer. De Boer would never happen as his stock is massive currently. If we got serious investment Laudrup just might as he is for some reason managing in Qatar at the moment and I think he did a great job at Swansea and before.