• Derek McInnes
    • Billy Davies
    • Felix MaGath
    • Nigel Adkins

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted McCall, Cathro is way to much of a gamble and as much as it sounds like the fairytale appointment too many, there are just too many obstacles like his inexperience as a manager, his age and his ability that is relatively unknown.

I was swaying towards getting away from former Rangers men and jobs for the boys etc but i believe McCall would be honest with himself and would not appoint anyone just because they have a history with our club.

If Norwich don't go up then Neil would be good. Could happen, he's gone from Hamilton wages so he won't necessarily be on funny money. And he's from Lanarkshire so a.move home to the biggest team in Scotland could be an attraction.

Cathro is the type of gamble id also get behind. This is the sort that if we wait until he's an established manager we simply won't get him. His reputation as a youth coach is fantastic and now he's handling the likes of Negredo. He has experience just not as the man in the hot seat. Bit imagine heading up a youth academy at 25. Amazing achievement.

It will be a bog standard Scottish manager.

That's all we can attract just now.

No point dreaming

I think King already has his man lined up and I'm genuinely concerned we end up paying Aberdeen a fortune to get McInnes mainly because Smith has publically praised him and IIRC King has too.

I do like McInnes and in time I think he could be a decent Rangers manager, but I'm not sure the timing is right at the moment. I also don't think he's so much better than the other names that are out there that he's worth going that extra mile for in terms of paying loads of compensation for him.

I think King already has his man lined up and I'm genuinely concerned we end up paying Aberdeen a fortune to get McInnes mainly because Smith has publically praised him and IIRC King has too.

I do like McInnes and in time I think he could be a decent Rangers manager, but I'm not sure the timing is right at the moment. I also don't think he's so much better than the other names that are out there that he's worth going that extra mile for in terms of paying loads of compensation for him.

I think he's been much better funded at Aberdeen than McCall would have been at Motherwell.

I think he's been much better funded at Aberdeen than McCall would have been at Motherwell.

I'm surprised at the level of player Aberdeen have been able to sign. Goes to that with a good coach players who have maybe lost there way or not quite made it at a higher level can be rebuilt.

I also like his signings in McLean and Shinnie. Youngish and talented at SPL level. We have more than one club to catch next year but Aberdeen are a good example of sensible squad building

He's had decent money which you could say has made the job he's done that little bit easier to do well in but when you look at their squad he's spent that money well and used it to take an underperforming club to a position where it's playing closer to it's potential and he's won over a fanbase who are pretty demanding in their expectations at the same time.

He also got St Johnstone back into the SPL and consolodated them there with two 8th placed finishes which makes them one of the few clubs who got up and didn't become a yo-yo club as a result.

Bristol City was a total disaster but I'm taking that out the equation because we don't play in England, we play in Scotland. I know people will say we should have higher expectations than Scotland, but look at where we are now. Ambition is fine but we need to learn to walk again before we can run and you can't say that he hasnt proven himself to be a really good SPL manager at two seperate Scottish clubs now.

He's certainly working his way up the ladder the correct way and looking at the trajectory of his career the next logical step would probably be a move to us, but I have a real issue about the compensation we would have to pay to get him out of his deal at Aberdeen when we have no money and there are so many decent managers out there who are out work.

I keep weighing up the pros and cons of all the supposed candidates and because there is good and bad with all of them I keep changing my mind on who I'd like to get it.

I do think McInnes is probably a future Rangers manager, but I'm not sure if this is the right time to make a move for him purely because of how much it work cost.

I voted Cathro purely because we need a big shakeup at our Club. We need to be at the very front in terms of management/methods in order to get where we want to be, and money is not our way there anymore. We need to think outside the box on this side, and I think that he would be the guy to do it. It would, of course, be a huge risk and it would take time, but I am prepared to go down that route.

Would he actually be the guy? Who knows, but its definitely time we did something completely different.

I voted Cathro for the same reason (ie the need for a major shake-up). However, there will be no shake-up under King - he'll look for one of the 'Rangers men' and we'll have McCall in post within a few days, I think. That will scupper any hope of a new approach at Auchenhowie.

This

he had the 2nd highest budget in the SPL so really they should be 2nd and that was a terrible result on sunday, 4-0 ffs we only got beat 2-0 and we're fckn pish

All those clamouring for Cathro are overlooking the fact that experienced pros would have a problem playing for a guy with no playing experience and no experience of being a first team manager at any level.

If you are happy to develop a team of players aged 17 - 21 then it could work but that's not going to happen at Rangers.

The obvious choice for me is Neilson given what he has done this season.

He would not have had a look on 8 months ago but his achievements this season make him worth a punt.

It would also shake up Scottish football.

I'd also like to see an experienced foreign coach come in to implement a Dutch/German/Spanish youth coaching model.

We need a forward thinking coaching team to develop a football philosophy at all levels.

Why is no one mentioning Robbie Neilson? Guy has worked absolute miracles!

I think a big part of Neilson's success has been Levein working above him as DOF. For all his faults he knows Scottish football inside out and I think his experience will have been invaluable to Neilson.

With that in mind I'm not too sure Levein is somebody who would be welcomed at Ibrox by the fans and Neilson is still too early into his career to take the risk on without Levein coming too.

Why is no one mentioning Robbie Neilson? Guy has worked absolute miracles!

All you hear about him is positive things, hes described as an extremely talented head coach.

It has obviously helped him having the experience of Levien above him in the DOF role and it seems to be a really shrewd partnership.

That being said we cant really be taking on someone with hardly any experience this soon after McCoist, the next manager needs to be a stable appointment capable of getting the best out of a poor group of players. Time is not in our side and what Neilson got was time, sadly we need a quicker fix if only for a season or 2 till we get some normality back.

All you hear about him is positive things, hes described as an extremely talented head coach.

It has obviously helped him having the experience of Levien above him in the DOF role and it seems to be a really shrewd partnership.

That being said we cant really be taking on someone with hardly any experience this soon after McCoist, the next manager needs to be a stable appointment capable of getting the best out of a poor group of players. Time is not in our side and what Neilson got was time, sadly we need a quicker fix if only for a season or 2 till we get some normality back.

Neilson has done more in 8 months with a limited budget than McCoist done in 4 years. If the positions had been reversed with Hearts in our position and playing poor football with no heart then I have no doubt Levein would have relieved Neilson of his duties.

Neilson is no more of a gamble than any other manager.

Neilson is no more of a gamble than any other manager.

Well I can't say I agree with that.

He's only had a short time in management and we don't know how he'd do on his own (without a DOF).

It's a risk IMO and one we really can't be taking considering our next few years could be the most important in our long history.

Well I can't say I agree with that.

He's only had a short time in management and we don't know how he'd do on his own (without a DOF).

It's a risk IMO and one we really can't be taking considering our next few years could be the most important in our long history.

Every managerial appointment is a gamble, same with signing a player.

I don't dispute that we don't know how he would do without a DOF.

Not one of the managers mentioned would guarantee success.

Who do you consider wouldn't be a risk?

Every managerial appointment is a gamble, same with signing a player.

I don't dispute that we don't know how he would do without a DOF.

Not one of the managers mentioned would guarantee success.

Who do you consider wouldn't be a risk?

No one can ever guarantee success but there are those who are more likely to bring it because they have been around the block before and have cut their managerial teeth at other clubs.

Adkins is one who Id say would be a pretty safe appointment and one Id not be too worried about given his record in previous roles (bar the last one). He would be less of a risk IMO than someone like Robbie N who is still learning his trade.

Not that I dont think Neilson isnt a good manager because I rate him highly and if we were starting out again Id love for him to have got the chance that was given to McCoist but sadly we need instant impact to have a chance of going up.

I think that not going down the youth route in Division Three has blinded some who thought we should have.

But that was back then.

This isn't Division 3 and we have a play-off to win.

McCall is the best candidate and to me constitutes the least risky appointment.

He's the best man to know the score and what's required.

The more I think about it the more obvious it becomes.

Conversely, with Cathro, the more I think about it, the more he scares me.

No managerial experience. No professional playing career. No recent experience of Scottish football. No experience of the Championship or Premiership. No experience of Rangers.

Can you imagine him at 28 pulling up an experienced pro over how he should be playing?

Cathro is the riskiest appointment mentioned but some want the romantic "build a team with youths" when we really don't have the time and as a support, we really don't have the patience.

No one can ever guarantee success but there are those who are more likely to bring it because they have been around the block before and have cut their managerial teeth at other clubs.

Adkins is one who Id say would be a pretty safe appointment and one Id not be too worried about given his record in previous roles (bar the last one). He would be less of a risk IMO than someone like Robbie N who is still learning his trade.

Not that I dont think Neilson isnt a good manager because I rate him highly and if we were starting out again Id love for him to have got the chance that was given to McCoist but sadly we need instant impact to have a chance of going up.

Adkins is as much a gamble for me as he has no experience of Scottish football and was not a success at Reading.

Given the state we are in any manager will be a gamble.

The only manager who has rebuilt a big club and led it to success that is still alive is Ferguson. No current manager has that experience.

Neilson is certainly a gamble but I think he has earned a chance, especially if we spend another season in the Championship.

But, as with King, we can only support who us there and hope for the best.