Fifa Paid Fai 5M To Shut Up About Henry Handball

Would that money be classed as taxable income? I don't know which paragraph and section bribes come under, this is gold dust for the income tax collectors from loads of countries, all that undeclared income totalling mad sums over plenty years to be searched for.

:lol: :lol:

The Football Association of Ireland's chief executive John Delaney has revealed he told Sepp Blatter to 'move on' after the outgoing FIFA president eyed his partner Emma English before saying he 'approved' of her.

Blatter has resigned from his leadership role at football's world governing body following investigations over alleged corruption charges against several senior FIFA officials.

During an interview on RTE Radio One, Delaney added to the revelations by claiming he was once forced to tell the FIFA boss to stop staring at his PR event organiser partner.

'He met Emma, my partner, in Vienna recently,' he said. 'He stared at her for seven or eight seconds and he said, 'I approve of your new girlfriend''.

'I asked him to move on, move on please.

'She is a great girl, I love her very much, it was an extraordinary moment. If she was here she would tell you herself. He stared at her and I said 'move on' and he did.'

232BAA6400000578-3111331-image-a-70_1433

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3111331/Sepp-Blatter-stared-girlfriend-told-reveals-Irish-FA-chief-John-Delaney.html

Getting jucier ...

Fifa’s €5m payment to FAI ‘quite extraordinary’, says Kenny Taoiseach expects ‘full transparency’ but says Delaney position remains tenable
image.jpg

A file image of FAI chief executive John Delaney with Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Republic of Ireland Manager Giovanni Trapattoni in 2012. Photograph: The Irish Times

Fri, Jun 5, 2015, 16:31

First published:Fri, Jun 5, 2015, 13:58

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said the payment of €5 million by Fifa to the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) in the wake of Ireland’s controversial failure to qualify for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa was “quite extraordinary”.

Mr Kenny said FAI chief executive John Delaney should answer all questions in relation to the transaction but claimed his position is still tenable.

Mr Kenny said he expected Mr Delaney and the FAI to make a detailed statement on the matter this afternoon, and that he expected “full transparency and accountability”.

Mr Kenny said the Fifa scandal had attracted worldwide attention and was “quite extraordinary”.

He said the money was not taxpayers money but said full transparency and accountability is required.

There is mounting controversy over the payment brokered by Mr Delaney. It came after Ireland was denied a place in the 2010 World Cup after striker Thierry Henry illegally handled the ball during Ireland’s final qualifier match against France in Paris. The handball was not spotted by the match referee.

Minister for Sport Paschal Donohoe said it was in everybody’s interests that the matter was dealt with in a transparent way.

He said: “I can assure you that I had no knowledge of this transaction. I would be very surprised if any of my predecessors were aware of it ether.

“It is all for these reasons and it is in everybody’s interests that clarity be brought to these matters.”

Mr Donohoe added that €5 million was an extraordinary amount of money and details on how it was used needed to be clarified.

He said: “I support John Delaney in his work... Alongside that matters which are important to the public are answered and dealt with in a comprehensive manner.”

Tánaiste Joan Burton said she found the story “intriguing”.

She said: “Particularly the meeting where you have a few hot words and leave with €5 million in your pocket.”

Minister for Foreign Affairs Charlie Flanagan added his voice to those calling for the FAI to fully disclose the circumstances in which Fifa paid €5 million to the organisation.

He said the controversy had the potential to affect Ireland’s reputation and said: “The FAI should make disclosure of the payment. Our international reputation is at stake.”

Mr Kenny’s comments follow confirmation from the FAI that it received €5 million from Fifa after Ireland’s controversial failure to qualify for the 2010 World Cup after the Republic of Ireland’s extra-time play-off defeat to France in Paris when Thierry Henry intentionally handled the ball in the build-up to the game’s decisive goal.

A media frenzy in the game’s aftermath included calls for the game to be replayed.

Sepp Blatter, the then Fifa president, who resigned from the position on Tuesday, poked fun at such claims and publicly stated Ireland had sought to be included in the World Cup as a 33rd country.

Mr Delaney said on Thursday that these events led to the Fifa payment.

“I’ll tell you exactly what happened . . . We felt we had a legal case against Fifa because of how the World Cup hadn’t worked out for us because of the Henry handball.

“Also the way Blatter behaved if you remember on stage, having a snigger, having a laugh at us.

“So that day when I went in, I told him how I felt about him, there were some expletives used. We came to an agreement. That was a Thursday and on the Monday, the agreement was all signed and all done. It was a good agreement for the FAI, a very legitimate agreement for the FAI.”

Fifa also links the money to the defeat by France but, in a statement issued on Thursday night, it described the money as a loan, made to help with the construction costs of the Aviva stadium.

Fifa said the sum was written-off when Ireland failed to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

In a statement last night, the FAI insisted the €5 million payment “is fully reflected in our financial statements which are audited independently”.

Jim Boyce, a Northern Irish member of the Fifa executive, said he believed such “arbitrary payments” should be investigated.

Getting jucier ...

Fifa’s €5m payment to FAI ‘quite extraordinary’, says Kenny Taoiseach expects ‘full transparency’ but says Delaney position remains tenable
image.jpg

A file image of FAI chief executive John Delaney with Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Republic of Ireland Manager Giovanni Trapattoni in 2012. Photograph: The Irish Times

Fri, Jun 5, 2015, 16:31

First published:Fri, Jun 5, 2015, 13:58

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said the payment of €5 million by Fifa to the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) in the wake of Ireland’s controversial failure to qualify for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa was “quite extraordinary”.

Mr Kenny said FAI chief executive John Delaney should answer all questions in relation to the transaction but claimed his position is still tenable.

Mr Kenny said he expected Mr Delaney and the FAI to make a detailed statement on the matter this afternoon, and that he expected “full transparency and accountability”.

Mr Kenny said the Fifa scandal had attracted worldwide attention and was “quite extraordinary”.

He said the money was not taxpayers money but said full transparency and accountability is required.

There is mounting controversy over the payment brokered by Mr Delaney. It came after Ireland was denied a place in the 2010 World Cup after striker Thierry Henry illegally handled the ball during Ireland’s final qualifier match against France in Paris. The handball was not spotted by the match referee.

Minister for Sport Paschal Donohoe said it was in everybody’s interests that the matter was dealt with in a transparent way.

He said: “I can assure you that I had no knowledge of this transaction. I would be very surprised if any of my predecessors were aware of it ether.

“It is all for these reasons and it is in everybody’s interests that clarity be brought to these matters.”

Mr Donohoe added that €5 million was an extraordinary amount of money and details on how it was used needed to be clarified.

He said: “I support John Delaney in his work... Alongside that matters which are important to the public are answered and dealt with in a comprehensive manner.”

Tánaiste Joan Burton said she found the story “intriguing”.

She said: “Particularly the meeting where you have a few hot words and leave with €5 million in your pocket.”

Minister for Foreign Affairs Charlie Flanagan added his voice to those calling for the FAI to fully disclose the circumstances in which Fifa paid €5 million to the organisation.

He said the controversy had the potential to affect Ireland’s reputation and said: “The FAI should make disclosure of the payment. Our international reputation is at stake.”

Mr Kenny’s comments follow confirmation from the FAI that it received €5 million from Fifa after Ireland’s controversial failure to qualify for the 2010 World Cup after the Republic of Ireland’s extra-time play-off defeat to France in Paris when Thierry Henry intentionally handled the ball in the build-up to the game’s decisive goal.

A media frenzy in the game’s aftermath included calls for the game to be replayed.

Sepp Blatter, the then Fifa president, who resigned from the position on Tuesday, poked fun at such claims and publicly stated Ireland had sought to be included in the World Cup as a 33rd country.

Mr Delaney said on Thursday that these events led to the Fifa payment.

“I’ll tell you exactly what happened . . . We felt we had a legal case against Fifa because of how the World Cup hadn’t worked out for us because of the Henry handball.

“Also the way Blatter behaved if you remember on stage, having a snigger, having a laugh at us.

“So that day when I went in, I told him how I felt about him, there were some expletives used. We came to an agreement. That was a Thursday and on the Monday, the agreement was all signed and all done. It was a good agreement for the FAI, a very legitimate agreement for the FAI.”

Fifa also links the money to the defeat by France but, in a statement issued on Thursday night, it described the money as a loan, made to help with the construction costs of the Aviva stadium.

Fifa said the sum was written-off when Ireland failed to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

In a statement last night, the FAI insisted the €5 million payment “is fully reflected in our financial statements which are audited independently”.

Jim Boyce, a Northern Irish member of the Fifa executive, said he believed such “arbitrary payments” should be investigated.

As I have posted previously why is this news now ,the media were quite aware of this bribe yonks ago.I started a thread about it maybe 9months to a year ago when it first came out.

From the Thierry Henry is a cheat France v Ireland facebook page

After this afternoon's meeting of its Board of Management, the FAI has called on the French Football Federation, as one of the world's largest Football Associations, to join with it and the captains of both the French and Irish teams, Thierry Henry and Robbie Keane, to request a replay from FIFA that would protect the integrity of the game worldwide and the pride of the French national team.

The FAI should not allow this matter to be just brushed under the carpet by FIFA. The FAI should now be requesting an investigation into the incident by FIFA in order that the officials never be allowed to officiate on the world stage again and that Thierry Henry gets a ban for unsportsmanlike conduct..

If only they knew what was going on behind the scenes with FIFA and the FIA :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Wee bump for this.

Have the Irish Football Association yet accounted who exactly received the 7 million euros they were surreptitiously and corruptly gifted by FIFA, and in whose pockets it actually went ?

Transparecy will be required in the name of sporting intergity

Wee bump for this.

Have the Irish Football Association yet accounted who exactly received the 7 million euros they were surreptitiously and corruptly gifted by FIFA, and in whose pockets it actually went ?

The Irish Football Association (IFA) got fuck all from FIFA apart from getting shafted over player eligibility.

The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) are the ones with the questions to answer. Delaney in particular the slippery bastard.

Wee bump for this.

Fuck all to do with us it is the FAI who are the sleazy bastards

The Irish Football Association (IFA) got fuck all from FIFA apart from getting shafted over player eligibility.

The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) are the ones with the questions to answer. Delaney in particular the slippery bastard.

Fuck all to do with us it is the FAI who are the sleazy bastards

My bad, though it does sound like it could be a Monty Python sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE