Cathro Discussions?

if either cathro or Warburton got the job I'd be well pleased,there are lots of good things said of cathro and we would be the ideal blank canvass for either manager to take on,any worry of being a week or 2 late shouldn't matter as both guys will have a list of targets they would love to bring in,

thats why I would take cathro as his list would be cheaper and easier to bring in,his list will most probably be Iberian based players whilst Warburtons would be British based in the whole.

my only worry over both would be great things were said of plg before he came to us

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult one. I like both Cathro and W&W. Pereira seems decent, but given English isn't his native tongue there *might* be communication issues. I was quite keen on Cathro midway through last season. Now I'm not sure who would be my favourite.

He can speak English very well.

Encouraged by the names we've been linked with.

Cathro

Warburton

Pereira

You could make a case for each of them.

Cathro probably the riskiest but the cheapest appointment. Pereira the safest and costliest.

For sure, compare it to what I thought it would be with:

Davies

McCall

Butcher.

A huge improvement, but who knows if it'll be either of those 3.

For sure, compare it to what I thought it would be with:

Davies

McCall

Butcher.

A huge improvement, but who knows if it'll be either of those 3.

I think it will be Cathro. Speaking to the likes of Pereira and Warburton is great.

I just have a feeling that they'll price themselves out the job.

I think it will be Cathro. Speaking to the likes of Pereira and Warburton is great.

I just have a feeling that they'll price themselves out the job.

I don't think Cathro has a chance of getting the job at all.

Probably because he's highly thought of and just to get a feel of him. I think they've gone into the process with a different man in mind.

I don't disagree. But sometimes people don't want to come, change their mind, or don't meet your expectations after speaking to them, or someone shines that you didn't expect.

I can remember going for a job and getting it after having a cracking interview. I was told afterwards that I'd caused them a bit of a headache as they had been 100% sure beforehand that someone else would have been best at interview.

I don't disagree. But sometimes people don't want to come, change their mind, or don't meet your expectations after speaking to them, or someone shines that you didn't expect.

I can remember going for a job and getting it after having a cracking interview. I was told afterwards that I'd caused them a bit of a headache as they had been 100% sure beforehand that someone else would have been best at interview.

I appreciate that but practically every other candidate for me blows him out the water. He's going to have had to have done some serious convincing for me.

Were they looking for a crossdresser and you and Ru Paul were being interviewed?

He can speak English very well.

No disrespect to him but based on the videos I've seen posted here he doesn't speak it 'very well'. His English is good enough to be broadly understood. Not good enough for nuanced instruction though. I may be wrong, but just my gut feeling based on a small number of videos. Hell, it may be good enough to get his message across and he might be enough of a tactician/manager to get results anyway. I'd feel more confident if his English was a bit better, that's all.

Can we not just get Big Eck and Rae in pronto, and be done with this fantasy football pish?? The simple fact that we would have to pay Valencia a fee to get Cathro rules him out instantly.

There's probably a clause in his contract re: termination if a club wants to make him manager that significantly reduces the compensation.

Can we not just get Big Eck and Rae in pronto, and be done with this fantasy football pish?? The simple fact that we would have to pay Valencia a fee to get Cathro rules him out instantly.

Do you not remember how pish it was with McLeish? Time to move on!

I appreciate that but practically every other candidate for me blows him out the water. He's going to have had to have done some serious convincing for me.

Again I don't disagree that Pereira and Warburton are much better applicants. But Pereira might not be interested (speculation is that he has lost interest due to not getting promoted), Warburton might have priced himself out the job.(speculation is that he was wanting quite big money)

The speculation might be bs but if it is true and Cathro had a good interview and is not wanting big cash to me it seems a good bet to go for him.

The common thread between the 3 main rumoured candidates? No real career as a pro player. Just like Mourinho.

Cathro is earlier in his development than the other 2 (Periera, Warburton), so is more of a risk but will be cheaper and has the potential to be better. He is also the most likely to build a Ferguson-esque 20-25 year dynasty, if he works out. That is very much the Rangers way and why I would edge towards him out of the 3.

I would be happy with any of the 3 and I don't think you get the chances they have, as non-players, unless people have seen some talent in you.

The common thread between the 3 main rumoured candidates? No real career as a pro player. Just like Mourinho.

Cathro is earlier in his development than the other 2 (Periera, Warburton), so is more of a risk but will be cheaper and has the potential to be better. He is also the most likely to build a Ferguson-esque 20-25 year dynasty, if he works out. That is very much the Rangers way and why I would edge towards him out of the 3.

I would be happy with any of the 3 and I don't think you get the chances they have, as non-players, unless people have seen some talent in you.

Well put.

Just because he's young does not mean he's going to come in and do realy well and stay for a long time. The way football has developed makes it pretty much impossible for anyone to mirror what SAF has done.

Just because he's young does not mean he's going to come in and do realy well and stay for a long time. The way football has developed makes it pretty much impossible for anyone to mirror what SAF has done.

No, that is the nature of a risk. The other 2 however, are more likely to move on after 2-3 years, if they do well and EPL, maybe even big English Championship, clubs come looking.

Not just because of his age, the noises Cathro makes make him most likely to build a long term Scottish product

This would be an experiment and not what is needed right now.An experienced manager is needed to get it right.

Alex McLeish would have us 2nd in SPL within 2-3 years. A Cathro or Warburton might win the SPL and take us somewhere special in Europe, although the flip side is they might not even get us promoted.

The journey has been long already, I would rather try for the spectacular ending.